PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for 1st AK

withoutink
04-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi everyone... Great forum you have here. I am looking to buy my first AK, and boy is my head spinning. So many variants and arsenals to choose from.

I am looking for a nice traditional AK with wood furniture. I like the Traditional stocks plus the under folders. Never shot an AK so, not sure if the under folders are as good as a traditional stock, but man do they sure look evil - in a good way.

The firearm will be used primarily as a range gun, plinking, and a backup as a home defense gun. The wife will also be shooting this rifle...

Originally I was going to just buy a Century Wasr10, but I saw a video last night about how their warranty start from the day the firearm leaves their production facility. So, in theory you could get a rifle brand new that no longer is warranted.
So, knowing my luck... Im not sure that is the route I want to go.

I want to keep my budget at around $500-600ish

So here are a few I found that Look nice to me....

REd Jacket AK 47 Underfolder (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct984.aspx)
Interarms IAC 74 (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct949.aspx)
Interarms IAC 47 (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx)
Lancaster Arms AK47 (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct847.aspx)

Any recommendations / info on these? Of is there a better option in and around my price point?

As long as the AK looks traditional with wood, and works reliably with decent ak47 style meat grinder "accuracy" Ill be happy. I dont mind stamped guns, so no worries there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Full Otto
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
All I can say is you're shopping at a good place. Wide selection and good price and service. If you get a Wasr you'll probably want to get one of these eventually anyway (just because).
If you can look around and handle some it may help but you just kind of got to go with which one really jumps out at you for "your rifle". They all will in time but go with what you like.
Personally out of those choices I like the Lancaster but I'd like any of them to be honest

6gunsal
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
I can't comment on any of the rifles listed, but if I were you I wouldn't let century's warranty drive me away from one of their aks. If you were looking at a galil or fal clone built by century (more prone to have issues) then things would be different. But beyond canted sights and a rough finish, century has done ok with their ak builds, and I say the win in the "bang for you buck" category.
If you grab a WASR or yugo clone for 3-350, that leaves lots of room in your budget for blasting ammo and magazines or other fun accessories.

On the other hand, if you aren't worried about ammo costs, and want an AK you can show your friends and be proud of, I would go with a different manufacturer.

Krupski
04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Any recommendations / info on these? Of is there a better option in and around my price point?

As long as the AK looks traditional with wood, and works reliably with decent ak47 style meat grinder "accuracy" Ill be happy. I dont mind stamped guns, so no worries there.

Welcome!

You may also wish to check out http://www.gunbroker.com and see if anyone is selling an AK / AKM like you want.

If you want ULTRA NICE... you can check out this guy: http://www.prebanarms.com (his name is Charles). He's got top notch Norinco and Polytech rifles... the good stuff... but he's a bit above your price range (like double!).

But, you gets what ya pays for!

Again, welcome and PLEASE feel free to post, participate and ask anything you like.

-- Roger

romak10/63UF
04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
500 to 600 dollars could get you a top notch ak47 like a mak90 or a arsenal maybe...

I have a Wasr gp 10/63 uf its the preban underfolder you can pick them up as low as 399. up to 525. Just a FYI gunbroker is the place i shop at....

imanaknut
04-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Atlantic Firearms has a great selection as you have found. They are a really good company to do business with, and over the years I have had many conversations with the owner, a really nice guy who really wants to keep his business as trustworthy as possible.

Many people do not like the underfolders because they complain about poor cheek weld. I personally learned to shoot without that painful process of welding my cheek to the firearm ( ;) ) so I have no problems with underfolders, and do have a nice collection just because of their "evil factor".

The fixed stock versions are more comfortable to shoot with a better shoulder feel than the underfolder, but it again comes down to personal preference. Again, personally I would recommend getting at least one of each! :smiley31:

The ones you have listed are all nice rifles. My suggestion would be to go through the selection that Atlantic has to offer, and get one in your price range that when you look at it screams "buy me".

Just remember, AKs are addictive, so if you buy one now, you will probably buy another pretty soon because you want to add the underfolder to your fixed stock, and then need a side folder too. And then a different caliber, then a different country of manufacture, and then you officially are labeled an honorary AK-nut!!!

Again, welcome to the group, and please don't be afraid to ask any questions, we were all new to this at one time!

bovver
04-08-2011, 03:23 PM
As mr.nut said,they are addictive.
If it were me.
Keeping in the price range of what you list,would look at maybe a mak-90.
Or just save a little more and get an arsenal from the same place.
But out of what you list,redjacket has a pretty good rep so far.

withoutink
04-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies thus far...

I was thinking of also getting a Drako Ak47 Pistol, in addition to a fullsize... Any thoughts on those?

bovver
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM

I was thinking of also getting a Drako Ak47 Pistol, in addition to a fullsize... Any thoughts on those?

I have plans for an SBR with one,other than that,not as your only one.
Remember you cant put a forward grip on it as is.
cool for a second.
Makes a handy ccw in your car loaded as a pistol.

armtactical
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I have ARSENAL SGL21 very nice ak, and very accurate.

FunkyPertwee
04-09-2011, 10:50 PM

They are good guns, but without a stock I wouldn't want it to be my only AK. Its like a big tec-9 except its reliable, powerful, and accurate.

Trip75075
09-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM LANCASTER ARMS. I've had to return my AK74 Rough Rider twice for failure to extract (neither was related to the AK74 recall). In the most recent evolution, Chet Durda, the honcho there, told me twice he was going to ship a new rifle, but that was four weeks ago. He told me last Thursday he'd ship today (6 Sept), but I got an email today saying the company is on extended holiday. Check http://lancasterarmssucks.blogspot.com/ for additional. I bought from them because they offer a lifetime warranty, but the warranty is only as good as the company's customer service, which, plainly put, sucks.