PDA

View Full Version : Also shopping for my 1st AK

TheRep
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Hello to all,
Great site! Been doing a lot of reading, and boy there is a lot of info on AKs out there. Was hoping to get some thoughts from some of the enthusiasts here. Besides the great info I found in the FAQ section on buying a firearm, Does any one else have other pointers? Milled or stamped, buy already built or custom build with nds1 receiver, etc.? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

imanaknut
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Buying your first AK style rifle is not easy anymore. With the ban on factory built rifles, the great Norincos and Poly Tech rifles are getting crazy expensive. Same with the Egyptians, but there were far fewer pre-Bush-ban Maadis so they are almost justified in their cost.

Milled versus stamped really isn't that big unless you are talking about the rare pre-ban milled ones. Those are getting really expensive because of their rarity and fixed number.

As a collector, it is nice to have a milled one on hand just because... :D

Many of the current builds are nice, and really it just comes down to what style you want. Although Century has a bad rep with many of their rifles, some of the new ones are just distributed by them, not built by them, so the quality is much better, like their new milled version.

A lot comes down to how much you want to spend, or whether you want a pre-ban for it's 100% original factory features, or one of the current US production rifles which for the most part are nice rifles.

Check Atlantic Firearms and Centerfire Systems for different varieties and prices. Many times when you are first getting into it your choice just comes down to one that you think looks too cool to pass up!

Enjoy this site, and please do not be afraid to ask questions. We were all new to this at one time.

TheRep
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the input imanaknut. I hope to buy mine real soon. I will definitely take your pointers into consideration as soon as I find that one that screams, BUY ME!!! Lol!

Full Otto
04-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Welcome. I'm not up on the rules out your way but I notice your from California. That may or may not be a factor in your decision.
Check out what's allowed to come in out there

TheRep
04-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Welcome. I'm not up on the rules out your way but I notice your from California. That may or may not be a factor in your decision.

Very true. Thank you for that. Been doing some reading on that. Seems like the major thing out here, is the bullet tip release on the 10 round magazine. I will keep researching.

O.S.O.K.
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
:welcome: to the board.

I don't think you can go with a standard AK.

However, a Saiga does qualify iirc. They are very good quality Russian AK's with "sporter" conversion kits installed - floor plate and toggle linkage on the fcg to move the trigger back and allow for the standard stock.

If I were there, that's what I would go with - or just get a good SKS which loads with a 10 round stripper clip.

TheRep
04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
:welcome: to the board.

I don't think you can go with a standard AK.

However, a Saiga does qualify iirc. They are very good quality Russian AK's with "sporter" conversion kits installed - floor plate and toggle linkage on the fcg to move the trigger back and allow for the standard stock.

If I were there, that's what I would go with - or just get a good SKS which loads with a 10 round stripper clip.

Thanks for the info. I will check that model out. Its true. California hass pretty strict gun laws. I should move. Ha,ha...

bovver
04-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check that model out. Its true. California hass pretty strict gun laws. I should move. Ha,ha...

I did and never looked back.
Now I have all kinds of cool stuff.
when I was there the only cool thing I had was a shotgun and mosin nagant.

intresting,this thread has now been viewed 33 times.

TheRep
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I did and never looked back.
Now I have all kinds of cool stuff.
when I was there the only cool thing I had was a shotgun and mosin nagant.

intresting,this thread has now been viewed 33 times.

I'm jealous! Lmao!

TahoeNeely
04-09-2011, 02:36 AM
It is a Zastava Pap 7.62x39mm single Stack 10round, Since it is a 10 round it is 100% Yugo, No American Parts. And they are cheap Check out www.BudsGunShop.com $369.00 I live in Nevada and Just received mine yesterday put 80 rounds through zereod out of the box. The quality in my opinion is amazing. They come in 2 different types synthetic stock and furniture and Wood also something you dont see alot of is a built in pica tinny rail.

TheRep
04-09-2011, 03:10 AM
It is a Zastava Pap 7.62x39mm single Stack 10round, Since it is a 10 round it is 100% Yugo, No American Parts. And they are cheap Check out www.BudsGunShop.com $369.00 I live in Nevada and Just received mine yesterday put 80 rounds through zereod out of the box. The quality in my opinion is amazing. They come in 2 different types synthetic stock and furniture and Wood also something you dont see alot of is a built in pica tinny rail.

Thanks. Checking it out now. Looks pretty sweet.

romak10/63UF
04-09-2011, 05:25 AM
in commie-fornia were i was born an raised the next best thing to a ak47 is a SKS.... even with commie-fornia's ban on high cap mags etc... The sks would be the better weapon of choice due to its design useing 10round stripper clips it shoots the same ammo ak47s do 7.62x39mm.....

Hear is a link to a nice chinese sks with the spike bayonet...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=223406879

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Unconverted Saigas. That's his only option for a new build in Kali that hasn't been neutered to shite.

TheRep
04-09-2011, 05:53 AM
in commie-fornia were i was born an raised the next best thing to a ak47 is a SKS.... even with commie-fornia's ban on high cap mags etc... The sks would be the better weapon of choice due to its design useing 10round stripper clips it shoots the same ammo ak47s do 7.62x39mm.....

Hear is a link to a nice chinese sks with the spike bayonet...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=223406879

Thanks. Will check them out. I read somewhere, that getting parts for the Chinese build has gotten very difficult. May or may not be true. Something about Clinton putting a ban on those Chinese parts.

TheRep
04-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Unconverted Saigas. That's his only option for a new build in Kali that hasn't been neutered to shite.

Yeah, was looking at those. Only thing that was a bummer, was reading that you have to modify regular AK mag to fit the Saiga. Its an option though. Thanks.

romak10/63UF
04-09-2011, 05:59 AM
You can find all type of sks parts on websites... alot of the part " can " be shiped to commie-fornia... , but warning high cap mags are still illegal to " buy " in the state of Kalifornia. you would be better off sticking with the stock 10 round double stack magazine the sks comes with...

TheRep
04-09-2011, 06:02 AM
You can find all type of sks parts on websites... alot of the part " can " be shiped to commie-fornia... , but warning high cap mags are still illegal to " buy " in the state of Kalifornia. you would be better off sticking with the stock 10 round double stack magazine the sks comes with...

For sure. Not looking to get in any trouble. Good advice, thanks.

TheRep
04-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Man you guys are great! I want to thank everyone that has helped me with all the great info. Its 4am here in Cali, so Im going to say good night to all. Thanks again to everyone and thanks in advance to all that will post later. We shall pick up later today, were we left off. I sign off with a few final questions. Can anyone tell me about Atlantic Firearms CA. Legal AK47? Does the term fixed stock mean that you cant remove and replace with different stock? And finally, are NO DAK SPUD receivers good? All right guys. Thank you and good night.

bovver
04-09-2011, 08:32 AM
NDS recievers are good.
I bet you wish you could drive next door to nevada and go to a gunshow there huh?

Full Otto
04-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Ah ok. I was wondering about the ones already within the state before this all came about.
Can those get sold within the state or do they have to stay with the owner?
Just wondering how that works I'm a little foggy on all the stuff I hear

TheRep
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
NDS recievers are good.
I bet you wish you could drive next door to nevada and go to a gunshow there huh?

That would be nice.