PDA

View Full Version : Replacing underfolding stock?

Medic3247
04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, new member and AK owner. I picked up a WASR 10 Romainian underfolder, and did a little work on it. I put a quad rail on it, and took it to the range for the first time today. I had a blast, got the red dot sight zeroed in, and learned a few things. It is rather awkward to shoot this with the stock, and me being as short as I am (5'8), it's a little long for me as well. How hard would this be to replace the stock, and put a different one on?
Pics will be posted after I get the foregrip on there.

Thanks!

AKTexas
04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great choice of an AK. I like the uf versions of the AK. They are quite comfortable to shoot.

Changing that stock is going to be a challenge. You will need to replace the rear trunnion which will leave some large holes in the receiver of the rifle.

I suggest if you want a different stock, sell or trade for a fixed stock version.

imanaknut
04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the group, and what AKTexas said.

Your best bet is to get a fixed stock version unless you don't mind cutting a few rivets, removing the rear trunion/receiver cover plate, and then riveting in a fixed stock tear trunion. Then you have to come up with a way to cover the holes that the folder used to be in.

Can it be done? Yes, but not easy. You would be dollars ahead selling the underfolder and buying a fixed stock AKM variant.

And 5'8" being short??????

romak10/63UF
04-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Im 5,10 an the romanian underfolder fits me well... You need to get used to the recoil of the ak47 best way of doing this is a ak74 type muzzle brake and a recoil buffer.

Bluntforce
04-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm 5' 6" with short limbs and a long torso. The underfolder fits me fine even with a drum mag. I did need to change the NATO length stock on my AK-74 for a Warsaw Pact length one however. Make sure all your fixed stocks are Warsaw Pact length.

FunkyPertwee
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I wonder if your red dot sight is mounted too high? With the downward angle of the Romanian underfolders, it may be difficult to use a high mounted optic, I don't know.