PDA

View Full Version : Lee Hand reloading press.

arcangel
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
So I just got set up to reload as cheaply as I could. I didnt have the cash for a bench reloading press/kit. I bought the Lee Hand press, and got me to thinking, it takes up almost no space, or weight then add in components. This press would be pretty cool for a pack. Has anyone considered or gone with a pack sized reloading kit? Extended hunting trip, shtf? In an urban environment a kit in the ruck could be a good idea. Thoughts ideas? Has this been discussed here?

O.S.O.K.
04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
No, not really discussed yet AFAIK.

Yes, it would be a good way to carry more ammo - as you can reload the brass and spare the extra weight. Especially for something like a levergun or revolver. Autoloaders are rough on brass and of course, throw it to hither and yon and it gets lost easily in the woods.

sksAL
04-12-2011, 06:34 AM
i have a few 12ga lee-loaders, i can reload 00,shot or slugs anywhere. well as long as its out of the wind and rain.the lead is whats heavy, an oz or so per shell.16oz per lb...those lee hand presses arent much dif as far as space and weight.

slamfire51
04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
I would say yes, it is a good item to have in a survival situation.

My first reloader was a Lee hand press. When I bought a Enfield Jungle Carbine when I was 17, I used the Lee. It did everything needed to reload the round.

coppertales
04-12-2011, 09:32 AM
with a Lee Loader kit. I still have it along with a few other calibers that I shoot. For what they are, the kits do a good job. chris3

Forgot to add, the Lee Loader only neck sizes the brass so the kit can only be used to load brass from a specific rifle, unless new brass is used.....chris3

arcangel
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Only thing I didnt like about it is doing a lot of rifle brass at one time, 350 308 shells in one sitting. Takes forever and takes some energy and I end up with bruised shoulders from pressing against it.

JTHunter
04-15-2011, 12:16 AM
I started out with one of Lee's little red boxes, but for a .380 pistol, not a rifle. If you are only going to do one caliber, they are a good way to start.
You might want to consider a little Lee scale too. This way you can check your powder measure to be sure you have consistent loads. I use the little beam balance one that is 100 grain maximum capacity as it is the most accurate (+/- 0.05 grain). You can get more accurate "digital" scales, but ($$$)!
Have fun!

arcangel
04-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Its a lee breech lock hand press, not one of the single caliber reloading kits. I can change the bushings and the dies like a regular press its just not bolted to a work bench. And also got the lee hand prime tool, and a digital scale by frankford armory.

O.S.O.K.
04-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah - some are getting them mixed up. The hand press is fine. It will wear you out with rifle calibers but it works well.

slamfire51
04-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah - some are getting them mixed up. The hand press is fine. It will wear you out with rifle calibers but it works well.

If you start out with a good supply of ammo, it shouldn't be necessary to load every expended round at one time.
When boredom sets in, reload a few.

coppertales
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I have not seen one of those hand presses. They have potential....chris3