PDA

View Full Version : AK Side Rail Mount Install

ATAK, Inc.
04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm in the process of building my first AK. I know, a little slow, but finally here!

I'm ready to instal the side rail and was wondering how is the best way to rivet this thing on.

Or, is doing screws from the inside a viable alternative?

11thAbn
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
you can tap the rails and screw them from the inside. I use an 10/32 tap and 10/32 1/4 machine screws.

Tx Dogblaster
04-12-2011, 12:59 PM
I use a boltcutter rivet tool to install the side rail. The middle rivet is a PITA because I end up making a spacer so the jaws clear the rail when I squeeze it. I'm sure that there's an easier way but I haven't figured it out yet...

ATAK, Inc.
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I use a boltcutter rivet tool to install the side rail. The middle rivet is a PITA because I end up making a spacer so the jaws clear the rail when I squeeze it. I'm sure that there's an easier way but I haven't figured it out yet...

Thanks, can you use standard rivets, grinding the head down so it will work on the rail?

Also, do you have any details for the bolt cutter rivet tool?

Tx Dogblaster
04-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks, can you use standard rivets, grinding the head down so it will work on the rail?

Also, do you have any details for the bolt cutter rivet tool?

The round head goes inside the receiver for the end rivets and outside for the middle one. I normally use a dremel sanding drum to knock the head of the middle one down a bit after I'm done.

Here's a link for the boltcutter rivet tool...
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

The link to Pookie's site is in the "Reference Materials" sticky at the top of the BIY page. He "may" even have info on the side rail...

rjsixgun
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
you can get rails for none railed ak's, then its just a matter of drilling 2 holes and screwing it on