PDA

View Full Version : Found a NIB RoMak 1

Helen Keller
04-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Still covered in Cosmo in it's bag.

$400

Factory Hi-cap 762x39 w/ butthole stock and welded on NUT.
I get it friday.

Already eyeing up a set of birch Timbersmith Furniture for it.

Need to find a good price Tapco G2 FCG and a decent US made slant brake too.

6gunsal
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
What are you changing out the trigger group for? Do the romaks have the butthole stocks?

Helen Keller
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
canchoo read

:tinfoil:

ndm86
04-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I really did not like the romanian rifles at the time, but now I would give good money for a romak II in 5.45 if it was factory made complete with buthole stock.

Full Otto
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
First I've heard of Timbersmith. They have an interesting approach on those SKS stocks

Are those RoMak's threaded?

Helen Keller
04-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Dunno about threads.. was too much cosmo on it.

6gunsal
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
canchoo read

:tinfoil:

Your all caps NUT must gave distracted my eye away from the butthole :gruebel:

So what's wrong with the trigger group?

AKTexas
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Your all caps NUT must gave distracted my eye away from the butthole
So what's wrong with the trigger group?

I'm guessing he needs compliance parts? :conf44:

imanaknut
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a great find!!!

Just check the end of the receiver before ordering any stock sets. Some of the early Romanians has round cutouts in the back of the stock to prevent those of us who shall not be infringed upon from installing those stocks that George Bush the First declared as being evil weapons of baby destruction.

6gunsal
04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing he needs compliance parts? :conf44:

Because he is changing out the stock set and making it evil? I thought compliant parts only aplied to rifles being built in the US, but I am definitely no authority on compliance so I could very well be wrong.

FunkyPertwee
04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Century used to make their own FCG for imported Romanian rifles parts count. They commonly caused trigger slap, and I always thought they were lousy triggers regardless. A Tapco unit will be a serious improvement.

AKTexas
04-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Because he is changing out the stock set and making it evil? I thought compliant parts only aplied to rifles being built in the US, but I am definitely no authority on compliance so I could very well be wrong.

I think the Romaks had all the evil features but the high cap mag removed. The FCG is foreign, the piston is foreign. To add bayonet lugs, threaded muzzles, and pistol grip conversion he needs to get the number foreign parts below the maximum allowed to keep safe for the children.

Damn 922 is stupid.

FunkyPertwee
04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
I think the Romaks had all the evil features but the high cap mad removed. The FCG is foreign, the piston is foreign. To add bayonet lugs, threaded muzzles, and pistol grip conversion he needs to get the number foreign parts below the maximum allowed to keep safe for the children.

Damn 922 is stupid.

Ah, I mistakenly thought the Romaks came high-cap. Must have been thinking of the WUM or other pre-SAR series.

Either way, I bet the Tapco unit will feel better than the Romanian FCG. I know the FCG that came in my Draco was awful.

AKTexas
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Ah, I mistakenly thought the Romaks came high-cap. Must have been thinking of the WUM or other pre-SAR series.

Either way, I bet the Tapco unit will feel better than the Romanian FCG. I know the FCG that came in my Draco was awful.

I think the high cap was the only evil feature on the Romaks. You are allowed one evil feature out of all the evil ones to have.

FunkyPertwee
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
From Linx's site:

A Romak 1 is a P.D.B (Produced During assualt weapons Ban) Romanian semi-automatic AKM (aka AK-47) clone, basicly the Hi-capacity version of the Romak 991. This rifle has a thumbhole stock and can accept Hi-capacity magazines. The end of the barrel has nut welded over it and some rifles may have threads under the nut but most do not. It uses the standard AK-47 7.62*39 cartridge. The fit and finish of this rifle is average and expect to find some odd metal finishing marks and a thumb hole stock. The major flaws of this rifle is some of the receivers have been cut so you cannot add a pistol grip, and some times they may have canted sights. The advantages of this rifle are its reliability, cost, very large selection of replacement parts, uses factory original parts, and cheap ammo. I would avoid this rifle if you want a model closer to the orginal AK because some have cut receivers to prevent pistol grip conversions, and go for a higher price then simlar AKs.

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/model.shtml#romak1

6gunsal
04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I think the Romaks had all the evil features but the high cap mag removed. The FCG is foreign, the piston is foreign. To add bayonet lugs, threaded muzzles, and pistol grip conversion he needs to get the number foreign parts below the maximum allowed to keep safe for the children.

Damn 922 is stupid.

^agreed. It makes my head spin. My build is compliant, and that's all I care about :D

Helen Keller
04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
It takes HI-cap mags,

gonna take some cleaning stuff with me to clean off the cosmo and head straight to the range after I pick it up.

imanaknut
04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
If you think easy to remember 922(r) is stupid, read Title 27 CFR 478.39.

Just because it was stupid once, doing it twice doesn't make it any less stupid. Just shows how stupid our government is to allow ATF to publicly show how stupid they are.

Helen Keller
04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
:laugh:

They sell guns to Drug Gangs..

How stupider can you get.

AKTexas
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
:laugh:

They sell guns to Drug Gangs..

How stupider can you get.

And get caught!

Helen Keller
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Here's a PIc as of now...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/capbustinjon/Romak1.jpg?t=1302813885

Lysol disinfectant wipes are your friend when dealing with cosmoline.

imanaknut
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
That picture brings back memories of things we will never see imported again unless we the people ever get our full rights restored.

Nice rifle Helen!!!! About the only problem I ever had with those early Romanians were the pistol grip part of that stock was designed for someone with the fingers of a NBA player!

Helen Keller
04-14-2011, 03:57 PM
it has one of the most beautiful set of handguards I've ever seen BUT

I picked up a birch set of Timbersmith furniture for it .

Mark Ducati
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
It takes HI-cap mags,

gonna take some cleaning stuff with me to clean off the cosmo and head straight to the range after I pick it up.

Hey, FWIW, I bought an old Mauser covered in Cosmoline one time and an unfired Yugo SKS still in the cosmo... the easiest way I found to clean them, wen't to Home Depot and bought a 4ft length of PVC Pipe with a diameter big enough to stick the rifle in. PVC-Glued an end cap on one end, stuck the rifle in then filled it up with gasoline and let it soak over night.

Yes, I know the dangers of gas and some even say to use Diesel... gasoline was all I had. But it cut the cosmoline great to be able to wipe it off with a rag and tooth brush.... Soaking over night in gas did not eat the PVC glue away and it did not leak.

I then took the rifle with the stock parts removed, stripped it down as much as I could... baked it in the oven at a low temp to drive out more of the cosmoline in the cracks... washed it down with "Purple Power" degreaser, sprayed with chlorine free brake cleaner... then wiped it down with some BreakFree CLP and put it back together..... This technique has worked great for surplus rifles with cosomo.... perhaps I was a little too anal retentive in cleaning?

Helen Keller
04-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Here it is cleaned up with Timbersmith stock set.
No barrel threads.. had one of the weird step down nuts tack welded and pressed on.

has a actually smooth Centurdy marked FCG too.

I'll see how it actually feels tomorrow when I zero it.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/capbustinjon/romak2.jpg?t=1302820946

alongside the polish.

The exposed barrel is about 1.8" longer than a standard barrel nut.

Anyone make a longer Nut or SLant brake ?? Just gonna tack weld it in place.

BTW

Imported by D.I.G. Va Beach VA

raxar
04-14-2011, 06:46 PM
if the factory handguards are laminated I know someone who wants them....

all these nice new AK's of yours, almost makes me want to go out and find another one, but we all know I'm far too cheap for that.

Helen Keller
04-16-2011, 04:47 PM
SHot it this morning.

NO adjustments Dead on at 100yds in the pouring rain.

Schuetzenman
04-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Romak series Romanian AK's were set up like Mak 90 weapons. Thumbhole stocks, no threaded muzzle, (more on this in a minute), no bayonet lug. Otherwise they were unaltered and take high cap mags just fine. They were NOT, repeat NOT single stack guns. Clearly he is wanting to get the thumbhole stock off and make it look right. His stock set will be US compliant, at least 2 counting parts if not 3 should he also get a pistol grip made here. Back to the muzzle threads. Some Romak guns had threads under the welded on nut, some didn't. From my perspective it was about a 50/50 shot of getting one with threads vs. a smooth muzzle they still shoved a nut over and welded it down. I've done 4 of them in the day and that was the break down, half had threaded muzzles, half didn't. In as much as he's altering the weapon to a Not able to be Imported config. he needs to get his foreign parts count to 10 or less for 922r compliance.

Edit: I see the rest of the thread now after making my initial post. I see you had a smoothie when you removed the nut. You might be able to thread it if they didn't shave the muzzle down. In any case it's a very fine looking AKM, congratz!

Helen Keller
04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
it's been cut down too much to accept threads.

I'm just gonna make my own big nut and weld it on

BTW

no trigger slap

Schuetzenman
04-17-2011, 01:50 AM
it's been cut down too much to accept threads.

I'm just gonna make my own big nut and weld it on

BTW

no trigger slap

Yeah, I had a Romak as well and no trigger slap on that one either. Some more trivia, there were also two receivers in the Romak line. One was square at the back as it should be and others were cut out so that the pistol grip could be moved closer to the trigger on the thumbhole stock. Now that I think of it, I had two of those rifles. The first had the square receiver and I hated the grip, my finger wasn't really long enough to get to the trigger without rotating my hand a bit. I sold that one and got one of the angle cut models. I eventually sold that one too when the SAR-1 rifles came out and replaced it with a SAR-1. One of the perks of being an 01 dealer during those years. I got to play with a lot of different weapons to try them out then liquidate them easily if I didn't really like it.

O.S.O.K.
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Just want to say nice find! Looks great!

You may want to make a sleeve that's threaded to accept standard AKM muzzle devices and weld that on...