PDA

View Full Version : Would you, could you eat bugs and insects?

old Grump
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
As any good Entomophage (eater of insects) knows, these twelve bugs are more than just pests... they're what's for dinner! In many cases people started eating these insects out of necessity, but these days they've become a delicacy. Read on to discover twelve insects that can be quite tasty.

http://www.oddee.com/item_97582.aspx

I'm having this discussion on another site because of a conversation I had earler with a fellow shooter about eating bugs and crustaceans, The initial topic got into who would survive if society crashed and our high tech toys went away. What could you eat, would you know how to find, identify, harvest and prepare nuts, roots, berries, grasses. Could you identify food animals, kill and prepare them for eating. Buying our food for the last few generations in cans, jars, boxes and wrapped in plastic has created a whole country full of people who wouldn't be able to or know how to gut a sheep or cook a squirrel or make a flour from acorns.

The amazing thing is there is a world full of protein where ever you are, your basement, in Central Park in New York City, in the woods or shivering in a cave in the mountains of New Mexico. I'm talking about insects and bugs, yes there is a difference. They comprise most of the total mass of living bodies on the surface of the earth and an awful lot of them are edible.

ready
04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Absolutely, if I'm hungry, I'll eat anything. I'm not a hunter so I've never prepared an animal for dinner but I'm sure I'd figure it out.

FunkyPertwee
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
For some reason, the bug-looking crustacean critters in the local creeks are more appetizing than insects.

I love crab. I just don't know where I could find rotten chicken in SHTF. I guess shoot some birds or squirrels and let them stink up a little. Crabs ought to like them just fine.

mmmm..... crustaceans.....

We got scrumps and flounder too.

btcave
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Got no problem with it. Not my cup of tea until the modern world stops turning.

ready
04-13-2011, 12:21 AM
I think it would depend on the bug, too. I don't know if I could eat spiders and I would prefer toasting them a little bit if I could.

gpwasr10
04-13-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm having this discussion on another site because of a conversation I had earler with a fellow shooter about eating bugs and crustaceans, The initial topic got into who would survive if society crashed and our high tech toys went away. What could you eat, would you know how to find, identify, harvest and prepare nuts, roots, berries, grasses. Could you identify food animals, kill and prepare them for eating. Buying our food for the last few generations in cans, jars, boxes and wrapped in plastic has created a whole country full of people who wouldn't be able to or know how to gut a sheep or cook a squirrel or make a flour from acorns.

The amazing thing is there is a world full of protein where ever you are, your basement, in Central Park in New York City, in the woods or shivering in a cave in the mountains of New Mexico. I'm talking about insects and bugs, yes there is a difference. They comprise most of the total mass of living bodies on the surface of the earth and an awful lot of them are edible.

Let me tell you something Old Timer, if I'm hungry and you let your gaurd down, I'll be eating you ;-).

old Grump
04-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Let me tell you something Old Timer, if I'm hungry and you let your gaurd down, I'll be eating you ;-).:laughingtohard:Hope you have a strong stomach and a lot of friends. Harvesting a bucket of ants would be easier and safer, tossing a net and bringing in some crawdads would be tastier and they don't shoot back.

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Had some chipotle grasshoppers at a mexican place once.

Pretty good wrapped in a tortilla.

Hedning
04-13-2011, 01:33 AM
I eat a lot of them while Im riding my bike. Not that I want to, but I just cant keep my mouth shut when Im on it. And Ill eat every moose arround before prepare an insect dinner. But if you have to you have to. Guess I would enjoy it whenever that situation rise. Guess everyone of us would eat a human too if there was no other choice.

AKTexas
04-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Now? no thanks.

To survive? Yup sure will. I have eaten toasted grasshoppers doused with hot sauce. I could do it again.

Mac_Muz
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
LOL, Just dropped in to say hi, Been bustin tail.

I eat crustations any chance I get. Lobster is high on my list, so are oysters, clams, crabs, limpets (like a big barnacle). (More)

Just last week I split open a white pine log and inside were pine borers (a grub) I was cookin off maple syrup in a pan on a barrel stove so I dipped each one and ate them right up. They are a maple nut flavor then.

ready
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
LOL, Just dropped in to say hi, Been bustin tail.

I eat crustations any chance I get. Lobster is high on my list, so are oysters, clams, crabs, limpets (like a big barnacle). (More)

Just last week I split open a white pine log and inside were pine borers (a grub) I was cookin off maple syrup in a pan on a barrel stove so I dipped each one and ate them right up. They are a maple nut flavor then.

You can eat barnacles? Learn something new everyday.

old Grump
04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
You can eat barnacles? Learn something new everyday.
http://northernbushcraft.com/invertebrates/gooseBarnacle/notes.htm
My Swedish Grandma's sister used to gather these and clams in Oregon. Had my first fried clam at her table.

Mac_Muz
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Well these limpets are like barnacles, but bigger, about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin. To me they look like dark tan volcanos as a child would draw one, It takes a big bunch to make a meal. I don't eat them like that, and just add them to oysters, clams, and mussels as i can. Now the combination is a worthy meal. I also might add any smaller crabs, and other assorted findings.

Assorted findings are razor clams if i can catch them, and I do mean catch, since they can burrow or tunnel dam fast. Cherry Stone a clam is often added to the menu, but raw.

A little kelp can be added if you like that sort of thing. It's a little more fitting of PETA people though. Friggin veggie heads just set me off.

Partisan1983
04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
I love crab, lobster, oysters, clams, shrimp, crayfish etc. etc. etc.

Of which only crayfish can be found in MI.....as for eating insects, that sounds about as much fun as two guys fucking. No thanks, I'd rather starve to death.

FunkyPertwee
04-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Of which only crayfish can be found in MI.....as for eating insects, that sounds about as much fun as two guys fucking. No thanks, I'd rather starve to death.

Hell yeah. All you need to catch crabs around here is a piece of string and some stinky meat.

old Grump
04-14-2011, 12:27 AM

Of which only crayfish can be found in MI.....as for eating insects, that sounds about as much fun as two guys fucking. No thanks, I'd rather starve to death.After a few days of nothing to eat but swamp water a rotten apple with a long green worm in it will look pretty damn good. You will also get downright paranoid about people stealing your clover, your dandelions and your cattails. A handful of minnows swallowed live will be a gourmet meal and mushrooms growing on a pile of old horseshit will be a happy addition to the frying pan. You won't starve if you can recognize food when you see it no matter what it is.

FunkyPertwee
04-14-2011, 12:45 AM
After a few days of nothing to eat but swamp water a rotten apple with a long green worm in it will look pretty damn good. You will also get downright paranoid about people stealing your clover, your dandelions and your cattails. A handful of minnows swallowed live will be a gourmet meal and mushrooms growing on a pile of old horseshit will be a happy addition to the frying pan. You won't starve if you can recognize food when you see it no matter what it is.

Just don't eat the mushrooms from the cow shit until SHTF is over. :)

Partisan1983
04-14-2011, 12:55 AM
After a few days of nothing to eat but swamp water a rotten apple with a long green worm in it will look pretty damn good. You will also get downright paranoid about people stealing your clover, your dandelions and your cattails. A handful of minnows swallowed live will be a gourmet meal and mushrooms growing on a pile of old horseshit will be a happy addition to the frying pan. You won't starve if you can recognize food when you see it no matter what it is.

I've gone days without food...many, many times in my life. You eventually get used to it after awhile ;)

old Grump
04-14-2011, 01:16 AM
I have to and after a few days you aren't quite as frisky or as sharp. Food almost seems repugnant in a way but your lizard brain knows you have to eat and you will. Whatever you can get your hands on.

Mac_Muz
04-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Hell yeah. All you need to catch crabs around here is a piece of string and some stinky meat.

I think Bill Clinton used that method too.

FunkyPertwee
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I think Bill Clinton used that method too.

I forgot to mention you can pick some up on Remount road for $15. You just can't eat them kind. :)

Mac_Muz
04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I forgot to mention you can pick some up on Remount road for $15. You just can't eat them kind. :)

It's probably better that I never know where Remount Rd is.

JTHunter
04-14-2011, 11:37 PM
For some reason, the bug-looking crustacean critters in the local creeks are more appetizing than insects.

Are you talking about "crawdads/crayfish"?

FunkyPertwee
04-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Are you talking about "crawdads/crayfish"?

All of the above. I'd eat a fiddler before a cockroach.

I can catch ghost crabs with nothing but a pole to whack em with. Even those have to be better than bugs.

Hell, I would imagine boiling a bunch of minnows would be better than bugs.

JTHunter
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
All of the above. I'd eat a fiddler before a cockroach.

DITTO!
I like clams but not oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, lobster. I've eaten most normal game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, doves, ducks, geese) but I've also eaten groundhog and 'coon ('coon's better!).
And OG, some years back, I had occassion to gut and quarter a doe with a three-blade pocketknife (a Schrade). Got the job done but had to sharpen all 3 blades the next day! :wavey:

FunkyPertwee
04-15-2011, 12:23 AM
DITTO!
I like clams but not oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, lobster. I've eaten most normal game (deer, squirrel, rabbit, doves, ducks, geese) but I've also eaten groundhog and 'coon ('coon's better!).
And OG, some years back, I had occassion to gut and quarter a doe with a three-blade pocketknife (a Schrade). Got the job done but had to sharpen all 3 blades the next day! :wavey:

Dude, I'd be living on oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, and if lucky, lobster. We grow corn and tomatoes and watermelons and a lot of other things locally around here, but the rich yankees would probably be able to buy it all up unless their money becomes worthless.

Luckily I know how to work a cast net. And a rifle.

gpwasr10
04-15-2011, 01:47 AM
:laughingtohard:Hope you have a strong stomach and a lot of friends. Harvesting a bucket of ants would be easier and safer, tossing a net and bringing in some crawdads would be tastier and they don't shoot back.

;-) HAHA

So I guess the old saying "A little longpork aint gunna kill ya." is a falsehood?

old Grump
04-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Old guys learned what to do to get old, it isn't going to be easy to stop them from getting older if they have a mind to.

old Grump
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Dude, I'd be living on oysters, crawdads, crab, shrimp, and if lucky, lobster. We grow corn and tomatoes and watermelons and a lot of other things locally around here, but the rich yankees would probably be able to buy it all up unless their money becomes worthless.

Luckily I know how to work a cast net. And a rifle.

Crawfish Omelette
PREP TIME: 30 Minutes
SERVES: 6

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb cooked crawfish tails
¼ cup butter
¼ cup minced red bell pepper
1 tbsp chopped garlic
½ cup sliced mushrooms
¼ cup sliced green onions
1 tbsp chopped parsley
8 eggs
½ cup milk
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

METHOD:
In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan, heat butter over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms and green onions. Sauté three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add crawfish, green onions and parsley. Continue to sauté an additional five minutes. In a small mixing bowl, place eggs and milk. Using a wire whisk, beat until well blended. Season to taste using salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Pour egg / milk mixture over crawfish and stir gently. When eggs are set, turn omelette onto a platter. Garnish with fresh parsley.It works with shrimp too.

But first a little appetizer

Dry Roasted Grasshoppers
Spread fresh, frozen and cleaned insects on paper towels on a cookie sheet. Bake at 200° for 1-2 hours until desired state
of dryness is reached. Check state of dryness by attempting to crush insect with spoon.
Garlic Butter Fried Grasshoppers
1/4 cup butter
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup cleaned insects*
Melt butter in fry pan. Reduce heat. Sauté garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add insects. Continue sautéing for 10 - 15
minutes, stirring occasionally.
Grasshopper Fritters
from 'Ronald Taylor's "Butterflies in My Stomach"
3/4 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 c grasshoppers
1 pt. heavy cream beaten stiff
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl. Slowly add milk and beat until smooth. Add egg and beat well.
Pluck off grasshopper wings and legs, heads optional. Dip insects in egg batter and deep fry. Salt and serve.

Man Eating Bugs: The Art and Science of Eating Insects [Paperback]

Peter Menzel

Faith D'Aluisio

Tim Cahhill

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580080227/ref%3Dsim_books/105-3216566-9611137

FunkyPertwee
04-16-2011, 12:45 AM
It works with shrimp too.

But first a little appetizer

Sounds good. The local meal here in Charleston is shrimp and grits, serve with either a pink or brown gravy. Yummy!!

raxar
04-16-2011, 11:26 AM
my issue with insects as a food source is that it would take so many of them for any sort of hunger satisfaction. I could see using them as a protein supplement, but as a staple it just doesn't seem practical.

planerman35
04-16-2011, 04:07 PM
wouldnt care for it but if need be i could eat bugs.might not fill you up but if it kept me alive thats all that matters

btcave
04-16-2011, 10:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcjYQs7DlCY

Solidus-snake
04-16-2011, 10:13 PM
If I was hungry enough I guess I would. But not spiders though, strictly crickets, grasshoppers, worms maybe, caterpillars, and the such.

I worked with a really cool, nice Mexican once who would take any grasshoppers that landed on him and pop them into his mouth and eat them. Kinda grossed me out back then. Was also pretty good with a switchblade he carried around.

ready
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
How do you clean an insect? Is that just pulling the legs and wings off? What about the head?

old Grump
04-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Eat caterpillars not butterflies.

Dry roast grasshoppers and the wings will go down just fine.

Heads, eyes, entrails, legs don't amount to a hill of beans, deep fry them, drizzle a little garlic salt on them and enjoy.

Spiders, especially large ones must be scorched with an open flame first or the hairs can irritate the dickens out of you.

Try banana slugs about 2" to 3" long, half a can of beer in a bowl of pancake flour, dip the slugs and deep fat fry them or sautee them in any good cooking oil. You can eat them raw but they might make your tongue numb.

Campfire, some butter, salt, pepper, garlic and a frying pan. Fresh caught live and rinsed worms, any kind. Melt the butter, stir fry the worms quickly and spice to taste. Eating worms is easy :anim_beer-1: and they go good with beer.

ready
04-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I have a pet tarantula that sheds his hairs when he's pissed off. It's like having that fiberglass insulation all over you but worse. No, I'm not going to eat him...

Solidus-snake
04-17-2011, 07:05 AM
I have a pet tarantula that sheds his hairs when he's pissed off. It's like having that fiberglass insulation all over you but worse. No, I'm not going to eat him...

Oh shit I used to get that crap stuck in my hands all the time at work.... Nooooo thanks.

Schuetzenman
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Be careful about eating slugs and snails uncooked. Many small creatures have parasites that will seriously fuck you up if not kill you if you eat the host raw and they remain alive.

I'd have to be damn hungry to eat insects. I'd be looking for anything animal in nature, like rats, mice, squirrels, cats, dogs, horses if any around. Maybe even that annoying neighbor down the street. ;)

old Grump
04-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Be careful about eating slugs and snails uncooked. Many small creatures have parasites that will seriously fuck you up if not kill you if you eat the host raw and they remain alive.

I'd have to be damn hungry to eat insects. I'd be looking for anything animal in nature, like rats, mice, squirrels, cats, dogs, horses if any around. Maybe even that annoying neighbor down the street. ;)Far enough away from city pollution the slug parasite problem will be less than what you could probably get from chowing down on the old guy at the corner house. Chemicals picked up at his work, chemicals picked up from his medication, parasites from his youth as a barefoot boy in Arkansas that were never diagnosed or treated, Prions from eating his brain or nerve tissue, upset grandson who liked Grandpa.

Makes a handful of larva pulled out from under the bark of a downed tree look pretty good in comparison.

Partisan1983
04-17-2011, 05:40 PM

All the ambulances and fire trucks I've worked on, I HATE that fiberglass shit....I couldn't imagine anything worse !!!

Goddamn, that would about drive me insane.

JTHunter
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I'd have to be damn hungry to eat insects. I'd be looking for anything animal in nature, like rats, mice, squirrels, cats, dogs, horses if any around. Maybe even that annoying neighbor down the street.

DITTO!
I'll take any mammal or bird before I'd eat a bug of any kind. Fish, frog legs, or even reptiles come before bugs.

old Grump
04-19-2011, 12:07 AM
DITTO!
I'll take any mammal or bird before I'd eat a bug of any kind. Fish, frog legs, or even reptiles come before bugs.
I'm not sure what to make of that. I like rattlesnake and all kinds of fish are high on my list of favorite foods. Frog legs are up there with lobster, crawdads, and shrimp in my top ten list. I like my clams fried and my oysters raw, no sacrifice there. :D

coppertales
04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
the last time, that I know of, was when I was in Thailand back during the Vietnam thingie. The rice bugs that I poped the head off and sucked the insides out were preceeded by numerous Singhis......chris3

old Grump
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Then there is that bottle of Tequila and drinking to the worm. I ate it once but by then I would have eaten just about anything that got close to my mouth and probably did, I just don't remember it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Incidentally the worm is the Agave worm and is the larvae of the moth 'Hypopta agavis', it isn't even supposed to be in tequila. It was added to mescal because of its supposed aphrodisiac qualities but some marketing genius added it to tequila to see if us dumb gringos would buy it. We did.

Once.

Schuetzenman
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Far enough away from city pollution the slug parasite problem will be less than what you could probably get from chowing down on the old guy at the corner house. Chemicals picked up at his work, chemicals picked up from his medication, parasites from his youth as a barefoot boy in Arkansas that were never diagnosed or treated, Prions from eating his brain or nerve tissue, upset grandson who liked Grandpa.

Makes a handful of larva pulled out from under the bark of a downed tree look pretty good in comparison.

Don't bet your life on it. The kind of parasites snails and slugs have, one type will eat your brain from the inside out.

old Grump
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Don't bet your life on it. The kind of parasites snails and slugs have, one type will eat your brain from the inside out.
So will Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and you are more likely to get that from eating your neighbor than you are from eating any mollusk, crustacean, arthropod or bug out in the wilderness. If it comes to picking up slugs and eating them or eating Joe the Plumber I'll go slug every time.

Mark Ducati
04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
What Schuetz said about Mollusks and disease.... I think the freshwater/land snails-slugs are the ones with the parasites. Salt water mollusks are usually safe to eat raw in general IIRC... but as long as I have fire, I'm cooking EVERYTHING.

Bugs to include Spiders and Insects like ants/termite larvae/spiders... man I'd have a hard time with that... I'm thinking the bigger the better though. If I could find a tomato worm or termite grub as big as my thumb, I'm thinking cooked its like a big piece of shrimp/lobster (yeah, I know the taste "must" be different)... worst case, lots of small bugs, I'm wonder if you could crush them all up into "bug juice" and dilute it with water and give yourself an "Enema" to get those nutrients in you...

On Man-Vs.-Wild (I know Bear is NOT the world's leading authority on survival)... but he told a tale of a family surviving on a small row boat when their yacht capsized... they ate turtles/fish they caught but desperately needed water... rain filled the bottom of the boat that was filled with piss/blood/guts from the animals they caught... pretty much fetid water... but the mother was a nurse, had a length of tubing and gave every family member an enema to hydrate them. No "up-chuck" reaction as it went in the other end... that's why I was wondering if your colon could absorb nutrients from bug guts if you mashed them up and mixed with water and inserted the contents into your rectum?

Crustaceans shouldn't even be part of this poll... you may not like seafood... but that's a whole lot more appealing/appetizing than BUGS to me at least... I'd rather eat "Long Pork" than bugs!!!! But to each his or her own... my wife and I had dinner on Saturday, I got "Escargot" as an appetizer... she thought I was crazy.

Schuetzenman
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
So will Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and you are more likely to get that from eating your neighbor than you are from eating any mollusk, crustacean, arthropod or bug out in the wilderness. If it comes to picking up slugs and eating them or eating Joe the Plumber I'll go slug every time.

To get that you would have to eat the spinal column and brain. I'm only planning on a little rump roast and a rack of ribs you see. :eyebrows: I have no problem with lobster, crayfish, oysters, provided they are not harvested in a month that doesn't have an R in it's spelling. Crabs, (not body lice type) clams, (bearded or salt water) are also ok by me. Escargot a.k.a. snails I'd eat and have eaten, just not uncooked. I would build a fire and it would get well cooked.

OOps sorry, I cliced the wrong quick reply button. You will find your text unaltered.

FunkyPertwee
04-19-2011, 08:06 PM
What Schuetz said about Mollusks and disease.... I think the freshwater/land snails-slugs are the ones with the parasites. Salt water mollusks are usually safe to eat raw in general IIRC... but as long as I have fire, I'm cooking EVERYTHING.

Bugs to include Spiders and Insects like ants/termite larvae/spiders... man I'd have a hard time with that... I'm thinking the bigger the better though. If I could find a tomato worm or termite grub as big as my thumb, I'm thinking cooked its like a big piece of shrimp/lobster (yeah, I know the taste "must" be different)... worst case, lots of small bugs, I'm wonder if you could crush them all up into "bug juice" and dilute it with water and give yourself an "Enema" to get those nutrients in you...

On Man-Vs.-Wild (I know Bear is NOT the world's leading authority on survival)... but he told a tale of a family surviving on a small row boat when their yacht capsized... they ate turtles/fish they caught but desperately needed water... rain filled the bottom of the boat that was filled with piss/blood/guts from the animals they caught... pretty much fetid water... but the mother was a nurse, had a length of tubing and gave every family member an enema to hydrate them. No "up-chuck" reaction as it went in the other end... that's why I was wondering if your colon could absorb nutrients from bug guts if you mashed them up and mixed with water and inserted the contents into your rectum?

Crustaceans shouldn't even be part of this poll... you may not like seafood... but that's a whole lot more appealing/appetizing than BUGS to me at least... I'd rather eat "Long Pork" than bugs!!!! But to each his or her own... my wife and I had dinner on Saturday, I got "Escargot" as an appetizer... she thought I was crazy.

Bugs seem nasty, but no way in Hell am I doing bug enemas instead of eating them.

old Grump
04-19-2011, 08:08 PM
5 of my top 10 favorite foods are crustaceans, I included them because on another board and some answers on this board give a big yuck to them and compare them to bugs. It doesn't make sense to me but some people feel the same way about spinach or broccoli. Unsurprisingly spinach is a favorite vegetable of mine and I only eat it sparingly because the urologist treating me for kidney stones says it may be part of the problem for me.

I think food squeamishness comes mostly from our supermarket training. If you had any idea what is in your milk or your sauerkraut you wouldn't eat it. On the other hand if you have been there from the start with the pig squealing to the time it is getting ground into sausage you kind of get over a lot of it.

Tongue sandwiches for lunch and fried brains for breakfast just seemed part of the routine, cuts of cold meat from the butcher was a luxury item back then.

FunkyPertwee
04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm only planning on a little rump roast and a rack of ribs you see. :eyebrows:

If I'm in Georgia when SHTF, I'll have to remember not to eat the barbeque...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DarSpoP7Xc

Schuetzenman
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Cow tongue was a standard dish in my household when I was growing up. It came with a rasin sauce or gravey like substance to pour over it. Had a orange like taste. My wife squirms everytime we pass a tongue in the supermarket and I say ... hey honey how about we get a tonge and cook it?

I have a buddy that has lost his mind over horses, virtually gave up guns for horses. He does jumping, cross country type riding and yes even fox hunts English style. I mentioned I'd eaten horse in Switzerland and how good it was. He looked like he was going to puke and cry at the same time. I laughed my ass off at him.

The Chinese are masters of eating critters that most in the US would run screaming from the table at the mere sight of it. Smoked pigs ears cut into strips and chicken feet are a very popular Dim-som what we'd call an appetizer here. I've tried both. The pig ears are cruchy and tase like what you'd think a pigs ear tases like .... cartiledge with flavor. Chicken feet taste like eating a chicken wing, only without any meet, and lots of bones. Not my favorite to say the least.

I've eaten Sivet Cat the animal that brought us the SARS epidemic in China, I've eaten dog too. I liked the dog better.

gpwasr10
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Old guys learned what to do to get old, it isn't going to be easy to stop them from getting older if they have a mind to.

I always say...
"Don't go staring fights with old timers... cause they might be to old to fight... so they'll probably just shoot you."

JTHunter
04-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Cow tongue was a standard dish in my household when I was growing up.

I had that one time about 40 years ago when I was on a "rockhound" field trip with my mother and some of her fellow teachers. One of those teachers had a sandwich made out of cow's tongue and he let me try it. To me, it tasted very much like braunsweiger but firmer and less greasy. It was pretty good!

OG said:
5 of my top 10 favorite foods are crustaceans, I included them because on another board and some answers on this board give a big yuck to them and compare them to bugs.
When I was into Scuba diving years ago, lobsters were known as "bugs" and divers loved going on "bug hunts". :thumbsup:

mrkalashnikov
04-24-2011, 08:33 AM
If I'm in Georgia when SHTF, I'll have to remember not to eat the barbeque...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DarSpoP7Xc

Long Pork...it's "what's for dinner"! :crazy:

old Grump
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Long Pork...it's "what's for dinner"! :crazy:You walk in front of the line and give up your sharp pointy objects and any firearms in your possession.

FunkyPertwee
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
You walk in front of the line and give up your sharp pointy objects and any firearms in your possession.

I'm going to convert a meat processing plant into a "rescue center" in SHTF and do just that. "Empty your pockets and step on the conveyor belt to enter the cafeteria."

old Grump
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Remind me not to eat anything labeled Soylent or Green.

james01
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
you did'nt say anything about ground hog, they are good eating if you know how to cook them.

old Grump
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
you did'nt say anything about ground hog, they are good eating if you know how to cook them.
Do they fall under the insect category or the bug category? Please don't tell me they taste like chicken.

JTHunter
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
No, they don't taste like chicken. If you have ever tasted "grass-fed" or "free range" beef, you know how they are more strongly flavored than regular beef? Groundhog is more strongly flavored than squirrel or rabbit in much the same way.
It's not bad, just different. I found the best way is to stew it as the "grassy" flavor is diminished by the vegetables and gravy.