PDA

View Full Version : New member with new WASR...Comments.

martin1
04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Greetings to all. First post. Recently bought my first AK...a WASR 10/63. I picked the best out of 4 at my gunshop. It was after the purchase that I began reading all of the bad reviews of the WASR on the internet and what junk it was. I field stripped it, gave it a good cleaning and headed to the range. All I can say is mine operates flawlessly and the sights were close to dead on out of the box. I shot a box each of Uly, Wolf and Brown Bear. The Uly seemed to be the most accurate but havent shot enough rounds to be sure. Had one FTF out of the first mag with the Wolf. After that no issues at all. I have finished the wood stock, added a recoil pad for length and bought a few mags. Thats all Im doing other than just enjoy shooting it. I am happy with mine and glad I didnt spend any more for what would be basically the same rifle. Cheers.

bovver
04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Good to see you here.
Dont listen to the haters.
A wasr is just a basic AK and it will do fine.
I have one myself and have yet to have any trouble with it.

Full Otto
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Recently bought my first AK..

Yes you did. Welcome to the addiction and to the site

ready
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Most of us probably started with WASR's because that's what they offer in most gun shops. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mine was 100% reliable the whole time I owned it.

Welcome to the forums!

AKTexas
04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Welcome and good choice on the new AK.

The only difference is the mag well dimples not a big deal.

The WASR rifles shoot fine, looks like what an AK should look like and functions as expected of an AK variant.

My uncle bought one for his son and side by side the same as his Hungarian and my Polish.

Here is one of our members with his. He posted a video that is good to watch and listen to.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?8835-OK-you-slugs-here-s-a-vid-of-the-10-63-at-the-range

imanaknut
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The WASR-10 is a nice rifle as you found out. You have to remember that if any manufacturer sold 100,000 perfect items, there would be nothing written about them, but if their 100,001 had a problem, the person that bought that would be ranting all over the place on every website they could think of. It is unfortunate it works that way, but...

Many problems with the WASR come from the fact that they enter this country as an ATF approved in their new second amendment as a single stack mag rifle. Once in the country usually the importer then opens the magwell to accept standard AK mags and replaces several of the imported parts to not violate the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment. Many times after opening the magwell they don't clean all the shavings out, and the new owner might have problems with little pieces messing things up. One of the many reasons to always clean a new weapon, especially the barrel as you really never know what surprise can be hiding inside.

Krupski
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Greetings to all. First post. Recently bought my first AK...a WASR 10/63.

Welcome to Gunsnet and welcome to the AK addiction!

If you're trying out different ammo brands, give GOLDEN TIGER a try. I like that the best. They're nice, hot and always fire (never had a FTF).

Now that you have an AK, you need to try bump firing! Ever hear of that?

TomO
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Nothing wrong with a WASR....lotta bang for the buck. As long as an AK is put together properly you can't go wrong...it will fire and will be reliable.

Wecome to the addiction. :)

HassoBoxhead
04-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the AK world!! Don't listen to the complainers, it's the classic squeaky wheel concept...as long as you are happy with it and it shoots like a dream, that's all you need! I absolutely love my Romy underfolder, have also refinished the furniture and grip to "make it my own", and have shot at least a thousand rounds thru it (Tula, Ulyanovsk, Golden Tiger, Yugo) and not a single problem...I agree the Golden Tiger is a good round, but I actually prefer the Yugo (and it's cheaper around these parts as well)...yes, they say it's "corrosive" but I always clean my weapons after firing them, so that doesn't matter to me.

My 13 year old son and I go firing together at the range every weekend, and he can disassemble/reassemble the AK blindfolded now...some quality time with your son and a gun that you can shoot all the live long day cheaply, I say that's a win-win in anyone's book!!

Enjoy and use the great advice and experience on this forum!!!

romak10/63UF
04-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Welcome to Gunsnet.net I also own a few ak-47s i just recently bought a romanian gp 10/63 Uf ... Its the underfolder version witch i like more then the fixed stock. I will send you a invite to the romak group.