PDA

View Full Version : Senior Citizen section.

abpt1
08-02-2010, 09:20 AM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/abpt1/old.jpg

1936 iizzy (sa)

91/30 ex dragoon HEX 1923 pc&cp civil guard

M44 refurbish

1925 dragoon hex not 100% sure on all the markings on that ....

Finn M39 1942 "B" 1898 Tula rec

Visitors...
(mossburg 935mag and rebarrled rem597 17hmr -22mag)

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 01:02 AM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/abpt1/old.jpg

1936 iizzy (sa)

91/30 ex dragoon HEX 1923 pc&cp civil guard

M44 refurbish

1925 dragoon hex not 100% sure on all the markings on that ....

Finn M39 1942 "B" 1898 Tula rec

Visitors...
(mossburg 935mag and rebarrled rem597 17hmr -22mag)

Oldies but goodies.

Hammerstrike44
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I love the Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles. I have the first model 91 (cossack) the hex receiver 91/30s, oldest 1917, newest 1927, the round receivers 91/30 1933 oldest and 1938 youngest. I also own the Stalingrad, hurry up and finish the rifle before we have to learn to speak German M38, rough machined and built to fire, recoils like a mule (my Weatherby 7 Rem Mag does not recoil like the M38) and the M44 with the cruciform bayonette. By the way, except for the M38, I have the bayonette for each rifle. I have never altered any of them and never will. I have taken deer at 100 meters with an open sighted Mosin Nagant. The 91/30s are some of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired. I also collect Mausers and the M1 Garand (the king of the battlefield) I have some very rare variants of the Mauser, but my Russian Mosin Nagants just speak of the personality and tenacity of the Russians in 1943. When the designer of the rifle was asked why the safety was so difficult to engage, he was quoted as saying in broken English "is gun...not safe". These rifles also demonstrate what was the tactic that turned the tide against the German war machine. My Grandfather and Grand-Uncle were both born in Germany one, in 1899 and one in 1901. Both fought in France, then Afrika and then regrouped with the 7th Panzer Corps in the "Ostfront" (eastern front). They said the Russians would assault them with human waves and my Grandfather was a Panzer Commander and said you ran out of shell and bullets before the Russians ran out of soldiers. He said they always had their bayonettes on their rifles.

abpt1
08-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I love the Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles. I have the first model 91 (cossack) the hex receiver 91/30s, oldest 1917, newest 1927, the round receivers 91/30 1933 oldest and 1938 youngest. I also own the Stalingrad, hurry up and finish the rifle before we have to learn to speak German M38, rough machined and built to fire, recoils like a mule (my Weatherby 7 Rem Mag does not recoil like the M38) and the M44 with the cruciform bayonette. By the way, except for the M38, I have the bayonette for each rifle. I have never altered any of them and never will. I have taken deer at 100 meters with an open sighted Mosin Nagant. The 91/30s are some of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired. I also collect Mausers and the M1 Garand (the king of the battlefield) I have some very rare variants of the Mauser, but my Russian Mosin Nagants just speak of the personality and tenacity of the Russians in 1943. When the designer of the rifle was asked why the safety was so difficult to engage, he was quoted as saying in broken English "is gun...not safe". These rifles also demonstrate what was the tactic that turned the tide against the German war machine. My Grandfather and Grand-Uncle were both born in Germany one, in 1899 and one in 1901. Both fought in France, then Afrika and then regrouped with the 7th Panzer Corps in the "Ostfront" (eastern front). They said the Russians would assault them with human waves and my Grandfather was a Panzer Commander and said you ran out of shell and bullets before the Russians ran out of soldiers. He said they always had their bayonettes on their rifles.

Great post !

Welcome to gunsnet hope to read more post from you !

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 10:08 AM
We have another Texan in our midst.Welcome Hammer to Gunsnet.

vit
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Got any pictures of the barrel shanks for 1, 2 and 4? Sounds interesting.

aliceinchains
08-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Vit you want to see the top of them recievers. I do to that is the best part LOL!

abpt1
08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Got any pictures of the barrel shanks for 1, 2 and 4? Sounds interesting.
I am going to snap some this afternoon ....

Hammerstrike44
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
We have another Texan in our midst.Welcome Hammer to Gunsnet. I have bought some nice rifles at San Antonio gun shows. There are a lot of ex-military and hill country hunters who go to those shows and you always find something unique or rare. One of the Russian captured rifles (Mauser 98k) I bought there was actually from the estate of a deceased Lt. General, who during the war was a Lt. Col. and who was presented this rifle by his Russian counter-part when the Russians and American linked up. He did not have anything nearly as grand a gesture, so he gave the Russian officer his own side-arm, the famous 1911 semi-auto and about 500 rounds of .45 cal ammo. His son, who was about 60 years old when I bought the Mauser, said his father told him the Russian cried like a child and kept kissing his father's cheek. He said his father was an ardent anti-communist, but at that meeting, he actually realized what those Russians had been through (21 Million dead, not casualties....dead) He said the Russian kept trying to give them vodka and wanted to toast. He also said his father realized these Russians had not eaten in days. When he asked the interpreter if the Russian soldiers there at the link up would be the guests of the Americans at a dinner (it was about 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon) The Russian started asking his father to forgive him for weeping, but he was afraid of the Americans and could not dream the Americans would offer to eat with the Russian officers. This man told me his father said "I meant I want all his men to eat with us, not just the officers." He said several of the Russian officers then began to weep and kiss the Americans and the Russian enlisted men rushed forward and started picking up the American enlisted men and carrying them around, throwing them in the air and catching them. ( Apparently an old Russian tradition for celebrating a man's accomplishments, or even his marriage or first male child). This rifle was in excellent condition and had been passed down to the seller. I asked him why he was selling the rilfe? He stated without trying to make me feel sorry for him "because my wife is being treated for cancer and I can't keep up the co-pays." He wanted ($600.00) for the rifle. I gave him ($1000.00). Apparently the nearest vendor overheard the conversation and asked if I had bought the rifle. I was on my way to my truck to get a soft case. I told him I had. When I got back to pick up my rifle there were about 60-75 people standing in front of this man's display. I wondered if he had been hurt or had some health emergency and one of the off-duty deputy sheriff's there stated the vendor next to him had gone around and told anyone that could hear him on the P.A. system about this man's plight and the people in front of his display were donating money and all his firearms had been bought by another vendor. He also knew about the price I paid for my rifle and the purchaser had done the math and paid almost twice the price of what he was asking. The purchaser came up to me and said "hey I bought some 8mm stripper clips, some 98k slings and a bayonette from him that would look great on that rifle." I paid him another price as I knew he did not care what I paid because he promptly gave the money to the man who sold me the Mauser. I always say that the Mauser and the stripper clips and bayonette are the least expensive collector's firearm I ever bought. I always try to tell the story behind its purchase. Big city, lots of hunters, and good people. I love San Antonio.

AKTexas
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I have bought some nice rifles at San Antonio gun shows. There are a lot of ex-military and hill country hunters who go to those shows and you always find something unique or rare. One of the Russian captured rifles (Mauser 98k) I bought there was actually from the estate of a deceased Lt. General, who during the war was a Lt. Col. and who was presented this rifle by his Russian counter-part when the Russians and American linked up. He did not have anything nearly as grand a gesture, so he gave the Russian officer his own side-arm, the famous 1911 semi-auto and about 500 rounds of .45 cal ammo. His son, who was about 60 years old when I bought the Mauser, said his father told him the Russian cried like a child and kept kissing his father's cheek. He said his father was an ardent anti-communist, but at that meeting, he actually realized what those Russians had been through (21 Million dead, not casualties....dead) He said the Russian kept trying to give them vodka and wanted to toast. He also said his father realized these Russians had not eaten in days. When he asked the interpreter if the Russian soldiers there at the link up would be the guests of the Americans at a dinner (it was about 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon) The Russian started asking his father to forgive him for weeping, but he was afraid of the Americans and could not dream the Americans would offer to eat with the Russian officers. This man told me his father said "I meant I want all his men to eat with us, not just the officers." He said several of the Russian officers then began to weep and kiss the Americans and the Russian enlisted men rushed forward and started picking up the American enlisted men and carrying them around, throwing them in the air and catching them. ( Apparently an old Russian tradition for celebrating a man's accomplishments, or even his marriage or first male child). This rifle was in excellent condition and had been passed down to the seller. I asked him why he was selling the rilfe? He stated without trying to make me feel sorry for him "because my wife is being treated for cancer and I can't keep up the co-pays." He wanted ($600.00) for the rifle. I gave him ($1000.00). Apparently the nearest vendor overheard the conversation and asked if I had bought the rifle. I was on my way to my truck to get a soft case. I told him I had. When I got back to pick up my rifle there were about 60-75 people standing in front of this man's display. I wondered if he had been hurt or had some health emergency and one of the off-duty deputy sheriff's there stated the vendor next to him had gone around and told anyone that could hear him on the P.A. system about this man's plight and the people in front of his display were donating money and all his firearms had been bought by another vendor. He also knew about the price I paid for my rifle and the purchaser had done the math and paid almost twice the price of what he was asking. The purchaser came up to me and said "hey I bought some 8mm stripper clips, some 98k slings and a bayonette from him that would look great on that rifle." I paid him another price as I knew he did not care what I paid because he promptly gave the money to the man who sold me the Mauser. I always say that the Mauser and the stripper clips and bayonette are the least expensive collector's firearm I ever bought. I always try to tell the story behind its purchase. Big city, lots of hunters, and good people. I love San Antonio.

Good story.The other Texans here are trying to organize a shoot sometime.Join the Texas Shooters group and helps figure out a meet up time.