PDA

View Full Version : Lost

ncfishboy
04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
So I have been looking around this sight for about a week now and am still a little lost so I figured I would make a first post here. So I am looking at getting my first AK. I am looking for something that is nice quality (not crap but not top of the line) but not too expensive (around $600). I am looking for the traditional AK look (wood) fixed stock (not a fan of the thumb hole stock) no frills, don't need a pig sticker on the end. So far I have gathered its better to look at the gun to make sure parts fit and sights are straight. As for guns in my price range that would meet my needs have any suggestions?

Ones I have seen listed and are thinking about but dont know how much they run.
Bulgarian SA-93, SLR 95, SLR 96, SLR 101
Chinese Norinco MAK 90, NHM 91, MAK 91
Interarms IAC47 wood ($579 from atlantic)

AKTexas
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Check out Centerfire systems for cheap buys on AK's and Atlantic Firearms.

imanaknut
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The Chinese rifles you list are really nice ones, and likely to appreciate in value since they are no longer imported. You should be able to find them at gun shows or Gunbroker in your desired price range. Except the MAK-91 which is a milled version of the long barrel NHM91 and usually runs a few hundred dollars more.

The Bulgarian ones (also no longer imported) have skyrocketed lately because they have milled receivers and are more rare. If you find one of those for around $600 jump all over it.

I agree that Atlantic and Centerfire are good choices to check for current production (IE meet the approval of ATF and the new second amendment sporting purpose clause.) Many are no made right here in the USA and some are very nice.

Feel free to ask questions if you come across something! :thumbsup:

slamfire51
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Welcome ncfishboy to Gunsnet and the fascinating world of AKs.

Your first choice will be the hardest. Deciding on one you want can be overwhelming at times.
Not to worry, there are many variations, so your 2nd, 3rd., etc. purchase will not be easier. LOL
Look at our sponsors here first, and make a choice.

Schuetzenman
04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
So I have been looking around this sight for about a week now and am still a little lost so I figured I would make a first post here. So I am looking at getting my first AK. I am looking for something that is nice quality (not crap but not top of the line) but not too expensive (around $600). I am looking for the traditional AK look (wood) fixed stock (not a fan of the thumb hole stock) no frills, don't need a pig sticker on the end. So far I have gathered its better to look at the gun to make sure parts fit and sights are straight. As for guns in my price range that would meet my needs have any suggestions?

Ones I have seen listed and are thinking about but dont know how much they run.
Bulgarian SA-93, SLR 95, SLR 96, SLR 101
Chinese Norinco MAK 90, NHM 91, MAK 91
Interarms IAC47 wood ($579 from atlantic)

Welcome to Gunsnet. Bulgarian rifles will be beyound your 600 buck range most of the time. The SLR93 and 95 came stock with thumbhole stocks.

Chinese Norinco or Polytec Legends not in a thumbhole stock will be way beyond your 600 buck price range. The Mak90 = Modfied AK, 1990 the year. What happened to the Chinese AK weapons after the Stockton CA school yard masacre by a psychotic Vietnam Vet. He saw a bunch of Vietnamese children and wigged out. Shot and killed alot of them with a Norinco AK. Then President Bush went all emotional and did an executive order banning military look alike weapons. So enter the thumbhole stocks and lack of muzzle device or bayonet lugs. HNM and Mak91 will aslo have thumb hole stocks.

Your best bet is the Interams or some of the models at Atlantic Firearms, one of or web site sponsor. The WASR series of Romanian rifles would fit your price range and looks though the receivers lack the indentation dimples above the magazine well.

romak10/63UF
04-15-2011, 09:46 PM
600 bucks ? i have a steal of a deal for you if you win this one check out this bad boy !

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224433299

slamfire51
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
600 bucks ? i have a steal of a deal for you if you win this one check out this bad boy !

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224433299

Chinese with a Romy folder?
Looks kinda strange.

ndm86
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
If you can get a Factory Bulgarian SA-93, SLR95/96, THAT is a great gun. Used, no nothing but one mag for $600 out the door, I would grab it. Over the long Years since 1990-1999 when I was collecting (not shooting), I had 5 or 6 of those Bulgarians NIB. I hate that I got rid of them. They were right up there with Polytech legend but without the cool/evil features.

ndm86
04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
I had 2 different side folder kits. E. german and old Romanian push button ( not lever) I could not get either to fit my chinese, but they did fit my hungarian. He must of really hammered that stock home to get it to fit. or dremel i guess, but the stock holes still will not match.

Full Otto
04-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's a converted MAK 90 with a decent "Buy it now" not crazy about the $50 second day shipping but maybe he's got some wiggle room on that
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225405077

Even with the $30 shipping here's a GP1975 that might get you playing. Has dimples and everything.
I'm not too familiar with them and only an hour left I don't want you to jump on it because I list it here just pointing it out seems to be one of the cheapest I see today. Might want to see if it relists and find out more about them.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225288305

imanaknut
04-16-2011, 02:15 PM
The Chinese used thicker metal than the Europeans, so to put that sidefolder on he had to grind some metal off it.

While it is well known I am really into the Chinese AK/AKM I have to say the best bang for the buck (pun intended) are some of the newer built ones sold through Atlantic.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Century milled AK variant, which for Century is amazing. It is a great price for a milled AK variant these days.

ndm86, if you can find an SA93, SLR95 or the really rare SLR96 for $600 out the door let me know!!!

ncfishboy
04-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. There is a gun show coming up at the end of the month in raleigh that I am going to look around at. I saw something about Inter Ordance and was wondering what you guys thought about them, i have seen some mixed stuff about them.

Schuetzenman
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. There is a gun show coming up at the end of the month in raleigh that I am going to look around at. I saw something about Inter Ordance and was wondering what you guys thought about them, i have seen some mixed stuff about them.

Inter Ordnance ... well let's just say I would never buy anything from them sight unseen. Examine the goods in person, check the function as best you can and make your decission to buy, but never mail order from them is my 2 Cents.

ncfishboy
04-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Kinda what I gathered but those posts and reviews were a little old so I just wanted to check.

Full Otto
04-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Something was nagging me about those. I remember them from quite a while ago so had to do some looking. Something about the handgaurds and trying to bring it back to an original look. I passed and after reading this and going to the website I now remember why. They have there own gastube tying to the front site where the gas port must be

Didn't link it but this guy seems to have gotten a first hand look at a friends

"The STG 2000 seems really light and the furniture is a little flimsy. He hasn't shot it yet and is really disappointed with the handguard setup, which is the weakest point, cosmetically, on the rifle. It is a proprietary design that is not interchangeable with standard AK handguards, and worse, has a non standard handguard retainer that is dogshit at best."