PDA

View Full Version : I just increased gun ownership by one!

btcave
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Took a fellow co-worker to the Portland, OR gun show today. He's 24 years old and just got his citizenship last year. He is originally from India and immigrated here 7 years ago. He is now the proud owner of a new in box Savage bolt action .22 w/ iron sights for $179 OTD. He wants to plink with it. Now I have to take him out and shoot it! I got to teach him the gun safety etiquette. When he was looking it over, his finger on the trigger was making me all twitchy. He'll learn. The young man is sharp as a tack. He'll take to it quick I'm sure.

ready
04-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I went shooting with my buddy and couple other guys recently and I needed a xanax by the time the session was over.

Krupski
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Took a fellow co-worker to the Portland, OR gun show today. He's 24 years old and just got his citizenship last year. He is originally from India and immigrated here 7 years ago. He is now the proud owner of a new in box Savage bolt action .22 w/ iron sights for $179 OTD. He wants to plink with it. Now I have to take him out and shoot it! I got to teach him the gun safety etiquette. When he was looking it over, his finger on the trigger was making me all twitchy. He'll learn. The young man is sharp as a tack. He'll take to it quick I'm sure.

Savage rifles are very nicely built and very inexpensive.

My son's first rifle was a Savage Cub .22 single shot bolt rifle with a peep sight. That thing is a tack driver. With subsonic ammo, he can make one ragged hole in the target at 50 yards.

Krupski
04-17-2011, 04:22 PM
I went shooting with my buddy and couple other guys recently and I needed a xanax by the time the session was over.

Before I take anyone shooting, I go over safety rules first... number ONE is "keep your finger off that trigger!"

I've got a 1911 made out of 1/2 inch plywood (with real 1911 grips on it) that I use to show proper handling... and I savagely jump on anyone's case if they put their finger into the trigger hole. They learn quick.

btcave
04-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Savage rifles are very nicely built and very inexpensive.

My son's first rifle was a Savage Cub .22 single shot bolt rifle with a peep sight. That thing is a tack driver. With subsonic ammo, he can make one ragged hole in the target at 50 yards.

I saw one old timer with 4 immaculate condition Savage Model 99's. He was asking between $800 and $1000 for them. A bit too pricey IMO. The were unblemished and pre 1960, but the one for $900 was D&T'd. I have a feeling the wood was redone. I doubt they are going to sell, even if they were the rare calibers.

ready
04-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I use a savage MKII as my bolt gun trainer. I don't remember what it cost me but it wasn't much, I spent more on the mount, rings and scope than the rifle. I whack targerts all day long at 200yds with mine.

Viking350
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM

I took my oldest grandson shooting for the first time recently. Gave him the gun safety talk (always treat a gun like it is loaded, never point it at anything you don't intend to shoot, keep your finger off the trigger until you are redy to shoot, etc.). Explained how to hold he gun, what the sight picture should be, etc. By the time we finished I was worn out.