PDA

View Full Version : Reciever vs Underfolder

ChirpinSquirrel
04-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Howdy, I have been a lurker for quite some time and every now and then post something retarded. I'm turning a new leaf and making a big boy step now.

Now down to business, I have been looking around at parts kits for sale at different websites and decided I want to go the 7.62 route. Thought all I could find were some romanian kits for $300+. Then I found a few polish parts kits with underfolder trunnions. I was wondering if the rear trunnion will seat inside of a standard reciever, OR.. if I can pick up a pistol trunnion to replace the underfolder one. I plan on building a short pistol (don't know if its too much to handle for a noobie like me but screw it) inspired by Slamfire51 and a-kmanator.

I know there are some badass minds on this forum and I'm lookin forward to exploding people's minds with my questions.

imanaknut
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The Polish underfolder trunion will work with any receiver that uses the standard European 1.0mm thick receiver and has the cut-outs for the underfolder.

I personally like the underfolder because if I want to play Rambo and fire an AK pistol-like I just fold the stock and have at it. Unfold it and now I have a nice carbine!

Mark Ducati
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Welcome... yes, there are some awesome minds here! And friendly ones too... A member here even offered to drill and tap my trunions a few years ago for a screw build I wanted to do and didn't charge me a dime as long as I paid shipping.

Howdy, I have been a lurker for quite some time and every now and then post something retarded... huh? As right now you only have 3 posts, what do you mean "post something retarded" every now and then? Don't worry... I have 1400 posts and post retarded crap all the time, you've got plenty of time to catch up :)

deth502
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
:welcome:

yes, if you get a standard receiver you can rivet your underflder trunnion in it to make a pistol.

i, otoh, would reccomend against "wasting" an underfolder trunnion like that. if it were me, id sell the underfolder complete with the trunnin for someone looking to build an underfolder, and then buy the pistol trunnion with the money you get, and still a good bit of cash left over.

also, dont forget that you do not need to buy any 922r parts for a pistol build. just grind some of those trigger parts down and throw them in.

Tx Dogblaster
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Good advice from all but IMHO, I would use the UF trunion and mothball the rest of the stock. Ya never know. You may decide that you're bored with the pistol and decide you want a rifle at which point all you'll have to do is buy a barrel and headspace gauges.

romak10/63UF
04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
I would go underfolder i have personally owned fixed stocks an underfolder stocks. By far the best build i ever did was a mac-90 milled reciver underfolder that i put on it ... sold it about 6 years ago... im still kicking my self in the @ss

ChirpinSquirrel
04-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow, you all responded like greasy fat lightning, thank you all. I was planning on making a guide-rod pistol, so to me it seems that deth502 and Tx Dogblaster knew what I was asking best. So I can use the underfolder trunnion and not cut the holes and no one would know the difference and later down the road cut the holes and attach a stock. Or I could sell the trunnion and folder for some funding. Hmm, both seem good. If I were to sell the stock set-up, would it actually amount to anything? or could I make a deal with someone like Marc said? haha the flurry of questions BEGINS!

Oh, on the old site I posted a few wierd things (youthful numb numb) such as that WASR, decked out with cardboard and wire tube sights and duct-tape maglight.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh fudge, I forgot to ask how difficult it would be to make a guide-rod pistol with a milled reciever. The bulgarian milled ak kits are dirt cheap and as far as my tiny ak intellect knows, I would just need to find a milled barrel to press or screw in. But then the hassel of reconfiguring the GB/FSB (or if they can be combo'd by cutting and welding the FSB onto the GS.. and then moving them to the RSB as I have seen. My brain hurts.

Would it be easier for a nooby to make a stamped ak pistol or a milled ak pistol is what I'm asking. Whew

deth502
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
if your making a milled pistol from a registered milled receiver, what to do with the uf stock is a moot point, as you will buy the receiver ready to go. if you are planning on making a stamped pistol from a milled receiver, you need to cut and mill the front cut off section of the receiver to mimic a stamped receiver trunnion before installing it. definitely more work that doing nothing to the front trunnion, which is what would be required to build a stamped pistol from a stamped kit.

afa the stock, ive seen them going for $80 w/o the trunnions, and the trunnions seem to be hard to find. id guess you could get easily $100-120 for the complete unit. the pistol trunnions go for around $30 last i checked.

Tx Dogblaster
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
A stamped receiver would be by far the easiest for a 1st build.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Alrighty, you guys are a great help. Definitely going to go for the stamped underfolder kit. I'm assuming gunbroker would be where to sell the stock assembly, unless someone from here wants it.
Now just waiting for payday to start my addiction :woot:

Tx Dogblaster
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
You shouldn't have any problem selling it in the classified section...

ChirpinSquirrel
04-26-2011, 05:17 PM
If anyone sees this.. I was wondering if a Polish PMKMS parts kit is the same as a Polish underfolder kit.

AKTexas
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
If anyone sees this.. I was wondering if a Polish PMKMS parts kit is the same as a Polish underfolder kit.

Yes they are. My Polish AK is built off one of these kits. It is my favorite AK.

ChirpinSquirrel
04-26-2011, 11:41 PM
DANG! I paid 40 more dollars for my kit than I needed too.. :anger: