PDA

View Full Version : Yo, computer wizards....

coppertales
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
A question. I am trying to load windows 98 into a newer computer so I can run my flight simulator. I reformatted my hard drive and loaded win 98. However, I cannot get windows to open in either regular or safe mode because the "config.sys and autoexec.bat" are turned on. The program goes to a message saying these two items are using all the memory and there is not enough to start windows. How do I get to these items to disable them so win 98 will run? Thanks....chris3

cevulirn
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
First question... How new of a computer is it? trying to get anything older then windows 2000 to load on a newer computer can be a PITA. Do you have a boot disk, and a CD for windows 98? You can get a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/, make a floppy, boot to that, then install off of the CD, and it SHOULD work, if it can recognize the hardware.

What flight simulator is it? It might be easier to just get a newer flight simulator.

Oswald Bastable
04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Config.sys and Autoexec.bat are both (usually) very small files, though they can potentially load some very large drivers and files, however, both are required by '98 as it's still just a glorified, fancy GUI built on the dos OS, as opposed to the NT/2000 OS which was an advanced (for its time) system with built in support for dos.

Can you boot to a dos floppy and open the two files with the dos 'edit' command (example - 'edit C:\config.sys' and 'edit C:\autoexec.bat') and tell us what's in there?

As cevulirn mentioned, if this is a newer machine, I wouldn't even bother trying to load '98 on it. Most likely there's no device support for the newer equipment.

Gotta have more info on the 'puter you're using. What components are in it? Is this an older computer you're redoing, or a newer 'puter you're trying to load '98 onto. If the latter, I wouldn't even bother trying with anything less than Win2k.

Krupski
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Config.sys and Autoexec.bat are both (usually) very small files, though they can potentially load some very large drivers and files, however, both are required by '98 as it's still just a glorified, fancy GUI built on the dos OS, as opposed to the NT/2000 OS which was an advanced (for its time) system with built in support for dos.

He may need to load a memory manager like EMM386 or QEMM... but I have long forgotten how to make DOS and Win 95/98 work...

Oswald Bastable
04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
He may need to load a memory manager like EMM386 or QEMM... but I have long forgotten how to make DOS and Win 95/98 work...

Ouch, completely forgot about that Rog...dos=high, etc...good call...been a long time for me as well.

coppertales
04-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I built it back then. It was running ok with XP but, like an idiot, I took it to Comp USA for a virus check and got it back dead. No workie at all. The hard drive in the computer I used for my flight sim was an older one I built but the hard drive gave up the ghost. I thought I could use the newer one for my sim. I have an original install windows 98 that I was going to use. I wiped the hd and installed win 98 but it won't come up. I tried to swap the hard drive but it has a different connector that will not work on the older system. The computer I am trying to use has a IS7 mothorboard with a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor. There are 4 sticks of memory but I forgot what kind they are. From what you are saying, I just should pick up a new hard drive for the older computer and go from there. The problem with that one is all I can pull up is 16 bit color and I need 256 or so to run my sim. I don't know what happened to the color display. It worked fine for years. Maybe it got lost in the dying hard drive. I thought of getting a new flight sim system but that is around 300 bucks plus software. Thanks guys....chris3

Oswald Bastable
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I built it back then. It was running ok with XP but, like an idiot, I took it to Comp USA for a virus check and got it back dead. No workie at all. The hard drive in the computer I used for my flight sim was an older one I built but the hard drive gave up the ghost. I thought I could use the newer one for my sim. I have an original install windows 98 that I was going to use. I wiped the hd and installed win 98 but it won't come up. I tried to swap the hard drive but it has a different connector that will not work on the older system. The computer I am trying to use has a IS7 mothorboard with a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor. There are 4 sticks of memory but I forgot what kind they are. From what you are saying, I just should pick up a new hard drive for the older computer and go from there. The problem with that one is all I can pull up is 16 bit color and I need 256 or so to run my sim. I don't know what happened to the color display. It worked fine for years. Maybe it got lost in the dying hard drive. I thought of getting a new flight sim system but that is around 300 bucks plus software. Thanks guys....chris3

Nope, that new a computer will not run '98. There's just no support for all the devices involved, from the standpoint of '98. A new HD won't work either as '98 won't recognize the newer drive geometry, and there's no support in '98 for addressing a drive via LBA. At this point (hardware wise) you're looking at putting together an older computer from parts you have or can obtain off the net (a recipe for yet another failed system based on old, used parts) or a newer flight sim.

The color issue has nothing to do with your monitor, and everything to do with your current video card and a lack of support for it in '98.

Now, you may be able to use your current flight sim in a newer computer running Win2k or XP, but it will involve running it under a program like dosbox, or something similar that emulates the '98 machine environment. What you'll need to use involves what OS the sim was designed to run in. Was it a dos program with a win98 installer? If so, dosbox is what you need on a newer machine. Something to try if you can install the program on a windows XP machine, is to run it in compatibility mode. Find the .exe file that launches the program, right click on it and select properties. There should be a 'compatibility' tab. Check the checkbox and select either Windows 95 or Windows 98 as the mode, then try launching the program. It may run that way.

cevulirn
04-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Well, you could try http://www.flightgear.org/ on your current (functioning) computer.

coppertales
04-18-2011, 10:14 PM
It looks like I will have to spring for a new flight sim system. It should really scream on this computer. I got it a few months ago, AMD quad 3.2, 16 gig memory and 2T hd. There are a few computer shops around that sell used parts. I think I will hit them up for a used hd if they can verify it is not dying.

I think I will wipe the hd on the older computer and reinstall XP which was on it before, and try to see if the old system can be made to work as suggested......Thanks again....chris3

Schuetzenman
04-19-2011, 06:18 AM
What flight simulator program do you have that is worth jumping thourgh your asshole to keep running? What I'm saying is you are putting a ton of effort and probably money to support an OLD, repeat OLD program that is probably very graphically weak compared to current level of DX10 and DX11 graphics. There are current Win 7 compatiable flight Sims, just get a new one already. It's just silly to hang on to an old bit of software like that. I've retired two book shelves full of software and 4 gens of PC. It's just time to move on now, stop tossing good money down a rat hole to support old programs.

coppertales
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I just don't have the bucks for a new control system, around 300.00. From looking at the later flight sim programs, they seem to be light on WW2 aircraft. I am not a jet jocky. Give me a Hawker Hurricane and I am good for many hours of fun. I used to have a real airplane. That is why I miss my sim....chris3

cowdawg
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM

Good point,