PDA

View Full Version : So speaking about ND's.....

ubersoldate
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I got finished working in the studio yesterday and on the way home, against my better judgement decided to stop by a friends house to drop off a cd of the recordings he has been asking for.
He works for my band, so we like to keep him in the loop.

As usual he is highly intoxicated when I arrived, and decided I didnt want to be around him so I just handed him the disc and told him I had to get going.
He insisted I take a look at something he just picked up.

He turns around, sets his mixed drink down, and pulls out a keltec 380.

He says, "this is my new carry gun" then sweeps me with the weapon.
I tell him to STOP F$CKING AROUND with the weapon and he says "its not loaded"
and as he finishes the last word, the gun goes off.
The bullet passed within ten inches of my stomach then into a wall behind me.

He stands there in shock. I take weapon throw it on the counter, then start cussing him out.
His wife is screaming, he is apoligizing, both were intoxicated.
I storm out.

He was fired this morning from working with us again.

Just was wondering if anyone had a story with OTHER peoples ND's?

mriddick
08-02-2010, 04:51 PM
What does it take to accidently fire a keltec 380? 15-18 lbs of trigger pressure? You do understand he was pulling the trigger...
I got finished working in the studio yesterday and on the way home, against my better judgement decided to stop by a friends house to drop off a cd of the recordings he has been asking for.
He works for my band, so we like to keep him in the loop.

As usual he is highly intoxicated when I arrived, and decided I didnt want to be around him so I just handed him the disc and told him I had to get going.
He insisted I take a look at something he just picked up.

He stands there in shock. I take weapon throw it on the counter, then start cussing him out.
His wife is screaming, he is apoligizing, both were intoxicated.
I storm out.

He was fired this morning from working with us again.

Just was wondering if anyone had a story with OTHER peoples ND's?

ubersoldate
08-02-2010, 04:56 PM
What does it take to accidently fire a keltec 380? 15-18 lbs of trigger pressure? You do understand he was pulling the trigger on purpose...

No it wasnt on purpose, it was a drunk person. Drunk people just dont know what their hands are doing. He cleared the weapon when he took it out, but he didnt hold it at an angle that would have let the piped round come out, and he didnt look close to see if it was still in the barrel.
Just the look on his face when he says, "its unloaded " and pulled the trigger was enough to know it wasnt on purpose, but it was idiocy due to the alcohol aspect. I never spend time with this idiot, and I didnt want to even stop by to drop off a cd for him.
Ive had 24 hours of apoligizing and phone calls, and I basically just told him when he dries out, call us and we would like to have him around.

Alcohol ruins people in the worse way, even more so when they are behind the wheel, or messing with weapons.

mriddick
08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I had already removed the word purpose when you were writing this.

ubersoldate
08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I had already removed the word purpose when you were writing this.

No biggie just an interesting turn of events, and another reminder for those of us who handle weapons everyday that sometimes its not OUR safety that bites us, but some idiot we are dumb enough to be around at the wrong time..

mriddick
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
When teaching gun safety to my sons I always stressed that it wasn't them shooting each other that worried me, it was their friends that worried me the most.

TEN-32
08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Glad you weren't hurt. That could have gone very badly.

AKTexas
08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Alcohol and firearms just don't mix.I have had a few close calls but not a single ND.Glad you are here to talk about it,

Let us know where to get the CD,I'd like a copy myself.

HDR
08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Glad you weren't hurt Uber.

It must have been difficult not to do him harm. :D

Mark Ducati
08-03-2010, 07:36 AM
We had a fella here last year who accidentally killed himself, sort of the same thing... sounds like this guy's time might be limited too.

abpt1
08-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Well glad to hear your ok !!!

Yeah I think I may have had to kick his ass for that ....

One of my best friends has fallen on hard times lost his job tyco moved that branch to Mexico..His UE ran out and the sheriffs apparently served him papers for a credit card...he took that very hard this guy has had a job since Jr high.... I went over Friday night to have some BBQ / few beers to cheer him up and his CCW .40 was sitting on a chair in the garage.... so I put it in the glove box of his prize mustang that's parked in there.....(He never drives it) ..AS soon as I walk out of the garage he rolls out of the house drunk as hell and was acting stupid all night almost had to give him a reality check .........He didn't notice it all night and so he called me the next morning to ask me if I seen it ..http://www.qtl.co.il/img/copy.pnghttp://www.google.com/favicon.ico (http://www.google.com/search?q=But%20when%20I%20seen%20it%20I%20felt%20s omething%20was%20off%20...)http://www.qtl.co.il/img/trans.png

O.S.O.K.
08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
:thud:

Yes, very glad to hear that you made it through that encounter unscathed... man.

Krupski
08-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Wow! Glad you didn't get hit!

The closest I've ever come to a situation like that was last year. I had my 8 yo daughter at the range. She was shooting my Ruger MK-2 pistol. She is sitting on a chair and I'm standing directly to he right, watching her and the pistol.

For some TOTALLY unknown reason, my younger son yells out "Hey look a white truck!" and we both turn around to the right to look behind us.

Of course, the result was that the muzzle of the chambered and cocked Ruger was aimed right at my gut!

I grabbed the barrel of the pistol and rotated it back so it was pointing downrange. Then I noticed that my daughter had her finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard (just as daddy taught her to!).

At this point I'm full of different feelings. I'm scared shitless that I had a loaded pistol in my gut, pissed off at my son for yelling out a totally pointless thing and distracting us, pissed off at myself for ALLOWING myself to get distracted, angry at my daughter for pointing the gun at me, then realizing that it wasn't my daughter's fault and not angry at her, thankful that I didn't get shot, ......

So I just let her finish off the rest of the mag and then I sat down for a while to calm down.

mrkalashnikov
08-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I learned many years ago to never associate w/ morons who have access to firearms of any sort, let alone drunk or drug-addled ones. You're "friend" could have killed or maimed you. Luck was with you this time. I would make a point of never having any interaction with this individual again whatsover, my 2 cents.

ubersoldate
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I learned many years ago to never associate w/ morons who have access to firearms of any sort, let alone drunk or drug-addled ones. You're "friend" could have killed or maimed you. Luck was with you this time. I would make a point of never having any interaction with this individual again whatsover, my 2 cents.

Yup..Dont want to be preachy with the alcohol to him as arguing with a drunk is pretty close to arguing with a door, but I just told him I dont trust him around anymore. Period.

mrkalashnikov
08-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear it.

There is no excuse to be had for pointing a loaded live weapon @ another person unless that person is trying to cause you serious harm. Drunks & junkies always have the excuse it's their "disease" doing the bad things but that's just a bs copout common to dysfunctional people.

Mark Ducati
08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Just curious... any of you ever have a ND?

I have, it was when I was brand new to weapons... happened with an AR, pulled the mag out, pulled the charging handle back (but NOT back far enough to eject the round in the chamber).... luckily, I had the weapon pointed down range when I pulled the trigger (I knew enough to never point the weapon at anything I wasn't prepared to destroy).

For this reason, I don't even like to "dry fire" as a way to check if the weapon is unloaded.

ubersoldate
08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Just curious... any of you ever have a ND?

I have, it was when I was brand new to weapons... happened with an AR, pulled the mag out, pulled the charging handle back (but NOT back far enough to eject the round in the chamber).... luckily, I had the weapon pointed down range when I pulled the trigger (I knew enough to never point the weapon at anything I wasn't prepared to destroy).

For this reason, I don't even like to "dry fire" as a way to check if the weapon is unloaded.

I have. It was a rude awakening.
I broke one of the cardinal rules of gun safety by not checking the chamber and using the dryfire technic to check it.

The odds of missing ONE of the rules and harming yourself or someone else is not good, but nothing compared to not following THREE rules...Them ole odds go up drastically..

I dont point guns at people, ever. I got my butt spanked as a kid pointing toy guns at my brother. We were taught early as kids.