PDA

View Full Version : How much is too Much?

Angrycolon
04-20-2011, 07:22 AM
My wife was getting on my case about all the ammo cans stacking up. She thinks I'm going mental because I stock pile for all my guns. (Storage space is precious, so she has a point!) I consider ammo the currency of the future. How much is too much? I keep at least a thousand rds. for each gun. (Three long, two handguns) Am I ready for the rubber room? Any thoughts on this?

Richard Simmons
04-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I'd say your on the right track. Ammo today is money tomorrow. The problem is when you get to the point when you aren't selling any or shooting any but still buying lots. If you've got 5,000 rds I'd say you've got a good start but not a problem. Try and double that amount then you can start to relax and look into reloading. :ylsuper:

AKTexas
04-20-2011, 08:20 AM
You can always find another wife.

Ammunition may be a problem.

00RedZX-6R
04-20-2011, 10:10 AM
If you only have a 1000 rounds for 5 guns you need more guns and ammo. I think once you get over 10000 rounds per gun it is time to start slowing down.

I don't thinkyou have too woryy too much about ammo losing its value. maybe you need to stack it more efficentlly.

My problem is I like to shoot to much, so that keeps dwindling my supply. I wish I was made of money so I could get to my goals on ammo on hand.

romak10/63UF
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
You can always find a new location for your ammo like the back of your closet or in the corner of your utility room.... i stake mine right next to my gun safe.... an if the wife bitches i tell her " Look honey bunches of oats " You sure are looking B.eautyful I.intelegent T.atalizing. C.harming H.elpful !

No your not going looney bins on us... you do not need to be locked up in the mental ward... rubber room .... you do not need to take crazy medication...

I keep around 1000 rounds of each if possable....

imanaknut
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Only a thousand rounds per firearm??? If the long guns are the same caliber, then you only have 3000 rounds, which is called bare minimum. If you have three different calibers, you are nowhere near "too much".

In fact since ammo can be passed down to generations, if kept properly you can never have too much. :amen:

Your wife would probably have a heart attack if you had as much .22LR as I have!

I have a hard time not buying more if I find any for a good price regardless as to how much I have. :D

O.S.O.K.
04-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Piker!

Pick your "main" caliber (5.45 is a good one) and get at least 10K of it. .22LR doesn't count - you need 10K of that too though :)

I'm not going to state just how many thousands of rounds of ammo I have, but suffice it to say, a lot. :)

But not as much as some I see...

NewbieAKguy
04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
You're just being thrifty! Buying in bulk saves money....just like shopping at costco or sam's club :).

deputyvaughn
04-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Being there is no such thing as enough ammo....how can there ever be too much?

Scott

raxar
04-22-2011, 03:37 PM
if she manages to convince you you have too much I'd be willing to take the extra

Viking350
04-22-2011, 03:39 PM
After reading all your opinions, I went out and ordered another thousand rounds of 223 and 250 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck. I guess you can never have too much money or ammo!

Angrycolon
05-11-2011, 07:26 AM
I enjoyed your comments guys. Since I last posted, I finally got everything in surplus ammo cans. I had already canned the .223 & 7.62, but now the 12 gauge and .357 ammo is stored neatly away also. I also got all my cleaning stuff consolidated into one container and that helped. Cleared me a corner in a closet and I am good to go. I have caught several great bulk buys lately to up my anti, but I am seriously low on ammo for the new S&W 40 I just purchased. Hope to get out on some targets this weekend and put a dent on my little stock pile. Again, thanks for your useful suggestions!

O.S.O.K.
05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
She will understand if and when the shit hits the fan.

And regardless, you can BET that prices for ammo will go up up up like everything else.

So you are simply "hedging" against the price increases. ;)

Wild Bill
05-19-2011, 09:48 PM
The price of ammo is definitley going up. It is sort of a hege against inflation.

bovver
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
my last range trip I went through a 1000 rounds.
Not saying it is the norm,but it does show it doesnt take long to go through a 1000.
I might go as far as to say a good base would be 10k per rifle.

arcangel
06-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Like others say there isnt ever enough ammo. I need to get back to buying, I dont have as much as some dudes here but I figure I've got more than the average Joe gun owner. 5K per rifle, and 3K per pistol is ideal in my mind, what would be better is having the ability and funds to reload for that kind of amount of ammo as well. Good luck to ya man.

old Grump
06-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Ammo cans in the middle of the living room getting in your way, paint them and put a table top over them, hard to move coffee table but accessible when you need it.

Remove the legs from your bed and replace them with ammo boxes.

Wooden ammo crates make good bases for reloading benches

What problem?

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Ammo cans in the middle of the living room getting in your way, paint them and put a table top over them, hard to move coffee table but accessible when you need it.

Remove the legs from your bed and replace them with ammo boxes.

Wooden ammo crates make good bases for reloading benches

What problem?

I like the way you think, Grump. Replace all furniture with ammo cans. Who needs a couch, just put a few cushions on ammo can stacks and you're good to go. Ditto chairs.

Screw it, why not just build the interior of the house out of full ammo cans. I bet that'll insulate a whole shitton better than this drywall crap.

insider
06-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Yup, 10,000 rounds minimum! http://cdn.armslist.com/images/posts/634355494844157818g4b0epeh.jpg
This is what your basement should look like!
http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/tremors3/guns-l.jpg