PDA

View Full Version : refinishing question

mountainman28542
04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
so how does everyone like to finish their firearms? specifically ak's? do you like to build it then do the finish on it? or finish each part then put it together then do some touch up? just wondering cause im doin my first build and gettin to the stage that i need to think about this :)

Tx Dogblaster
04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
I always build then finish but I think there are some guys that finish the parts then build & touch up. When I was doing hot blue on my builds it wasn't a concern because the solution got in all of the nooks. Gunkote doesn't get in all the nooks but a good douche with some oil after the paint cures and life is good.

Mark Ducati
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
For those who might be contemplating refinishing their AK's/weapons for the first time.... let me give you an important tip.... once you've cleaned the parts/weapon of grease and have applied the first coat, and in between coats... BEFORE you lightly handle the "you think the paint is dry to the touch" parts/weapon to inspect... REMOVE YOUR WEDDING RING!

You'd think I'd have learned this lesson already... When I painted the black mirrors on my Ducati to match the body I nicked up the mirrors with my ring and had to re-sand and repaint... did the same darn thing with my first AK build.

slamfire51
04-21-2011, 05:40 PM
I always build, then paint.

mountainman28542
04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
so far the concensus is build then finish :) good i didnt want to wait on the build part lol

scratchthejeepguy
04-24-2011, 10:29 AM
What kind of finish are you planning?

slamfire51
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM
What kind of finish are you planning?

I'm thinking blued. I may look into park'ing it.
No more paint on this one.