PDA

View Full Version : Garden is doing pretty well

O.S.O.K.
04-22-2011, 02:49 PM
We have a gob of tomatoes set on. The zuc's have taken off - the peppers are good and the cucs and water melons are coming on as well. The bush beans seem a bit sickly for some reason though - gotta figure that out...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5644220782_19fb682736_b.jpg

L1A1Rocker
04-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Looks good. I've got some very sickly summer squash for some reason. Very pale green leaves for some reason. Any suggestions?

Helen Keller
04-22-2011, 03:06 PM
bleh havent even started....

it's snowing today.

:crying_small:

O.S.O.K.
04-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Looks good. I've got some very sickly summer squash for some reason. Very pale green leaves for some reason. Any suggestions?

Miracle grow? Is the soil too wet? Are they getting enough sun?

ready
04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Still cold here, too. I can't ever get onions or potatoes to grow right. I'm gonna give it another go this year and see what happens. I'm also gonna add some fruit trees and berries. I'm sure the local birds and bees will appreciate it.

O.S.O.K.
04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
The beans grew really well last year... this year we added a couple yards of horse manuer mulch mix to the patch and tilled it in... I don't get it...

L1A1Rocker
04-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Miracle grow? Is the soil too wet? Are they getting enough sun?

They are in a raised bed. Getting the same sun and water as the purple hull pease and the peas seem to be doing well, albiet a bit slow. We have been having very consistant clowdy and hazy mornings up until noon. Then the sun comes out and they get lots of light intill sunset. I've also got onions in the same conditions that seem to be doing great. I hit it with some mircle grow vegetable ferterlizer (the pink stuff) and it did better for a couple of days and then went pale again. Just don't know what is going on.

recon
04-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice! 48 was the high today! Plus more rain again! This is nuts! Also this might be the wettest april on record for us since they have been keeping records!

ready
04-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I guess nature is making up for the drought we had last year. It was like living on Mars.

Helen Keller
04-23-2011, 06:01 AM
more rain all the way through friday..

I should plant rice.

Integratedj
04-23-2011, 01:50 PM

I've found squash, cucumbers, Zucs, melons etc to be heavy feeders. If the leaves are pale yellow it is usually a nitrogen deficiency. I have to feed the crap out of mine or they turn yellow on me, but my native soil here sucks and will take years to amend properly.

They also are calcium hungry plants. To avoid BER and give good growth make sure you've either got good calcium available in the soil, or do like I do and give it to them in a foliar spray so it is immediately available with no lockout issues.

raxar
04-23-2011, 02:19 PM
more rain all the way through friday..

I should plant rice.

you would look good in one of those cone hats and some black pajamas with a type 56 slung on your back

Helen Keller
04-23-2011, 03:45 PM
you would look good in one of those cone hats and some black pajamas with a type 56 slung on your back

I got everything cept the hat...

As much as choppers fly around here I'd probly take a 2.75" rocket to the head.

raxar
04-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I got everything cept the hat...

As much as choppers fly around here I'd probly take a 2.75" rocket to the head.

vietcong rule of thumb for choppers is to stick your arm out giving the thumbs up, if the chopper is bigger than your thumb they're low enough to get with ground fire...

Integratedj
04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
The beans grew really well last year... this year we added a couple yards of horse manuer mulch mix to the patch and tilled it in... I don't get it...

Beans don't use a lot of N and are fairly sensitive to it. If your horse manure wasn't composted long enough it can easily torch a plant. You most likely made your soil to hot for them. Beans are actually nitrogen fixing and help your soil N levels. I rotate beans into any place I grow tomatoes the previous year. Helps to rebuild the soil. and you can skip feeding them most of the time.

O.S.O.K.
04-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Ah, we wondered about that - because they did really well last year. This year after the composted manuer - not so good. Maybe we should pull them up and add potting soil to the row and replant...

Thanks!

El Laton Caliente
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
They are in a raised bed. Getting the same sun and water as the purple hull pease and the peas seem to be doing well, albiet a bit slow. We have been having very consistant clowdy and hazy mornings up until noon. Then the sun comes out and they get lots of light intill sunset. I've also got onions in the same conditions that seem to be doing great. I hit it with some mircle grow vegetable ferterlizer (the pink stuff) and it did better for a couple of days and then went pale again. Just don't know what is going on.

Get the soil tested you are likely missing a trace nutrient.

slamfire51
04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Ground is tilled, and lime applied to lower the acid in the soil.
I bought 10 Better Boy plants yesterday. I'm waiting until the 1st of May to plant. No frost after then. I'll plant 10 more on the 1st of June so I'll have tomatoes until frost. Miracle Grow in good supply.
Got the onion sets put out, and pepper plants will also wait til the 1st.

I've got the needed canning supplies. I pressure cook them to prevent possible Botulism. Never hurts to take the extra step.

JTHunter
04-23-2011, 11:27 PM
You might need some "chealated iron". I seem to remember from years ago that an iron deficiency can cause leaves to yellow and curl.

slamfire51
04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I do know for a fact, iron dust from a bench grinder sprinkled around the base of tomatoes plants, will make the tomatoes more red when ripe.

El Laton Caliente
04-23-2011, 11:37 PM
There are many trace elements and minerals that plants need. Powdered rock, a mixture from several types and locations, can supply these for several years. Normally these are powdered granite, limestone, maybe marble, ironstone and others. You "salt" the garden patch with the powder and it slowly disolves for years.

Integratedj
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Another thing every one should be doing is growing and using indigenous micro organisms in their gardening.
Here is a link with tons of info and IMO recipe mixes.
http://www.thenaturalfarmingway.com/recipes/indigenous-microorganisms-imo/imo-introduction

Seriously, ditch the Miracle grow and like crap chemical ferts, start composting, start making Tea's, and start using IMO's. The difference in flavor and growth will amaze you, and your soil will only get better and better with time as opposed to getting worse and being stripped of beneficials and usefulness like you do with Chem ferts.

Moebrown20
04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Strawberries, lettuce & peppers are good.
Onions and potatoes are taking their time.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P8130005.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P8130006.jpg

O.S.O.K.
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Mmmm strawberries.

I'm looking forward to getting my land deal done and moving to the property. The area that I'm purchasing land in is very fertile and everything seems to grow well there.

Just have to put a fence up to keep bambi out :)

Integratedj
04-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Mmmm strawberries.

I'm looking forward to getting my land deal done and moving to the property. The area that I'm purchasing land in is very fertile and everything seems to grow well there.

Just have to put a fence up to keep bambi out :)

Look into planting a Wormwood hedge all the way around it. That should keep a lot of the deer bugs away.

00RedZX-6R
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Iplanted all of my raspberry plants, and now they are water logged. I hope they make it. Way too much rain this spring.

00RedZX-6R
04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=Moebrown20;126050]Strawberries, lettuce & peppers are good.
Onions and potatoes are taking their time.

QUOTE]

My strawberries are under water right now too. I haope they make it.

O.S.O.K.
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm going to be planting red raspberries on my new property (waiting for all of the legal crap to get done...) my wife loves em and they apparently grow really well in Miss.

Of course, the deer will love them too.... but I'm going to plant a shit load of em.

She'll eat them off of the bushes and freeze em and make jam.

Plan on a nice big garden there too. The soil actually tills up when you run the tiller over it :) Nice loamy, sandy soil.