PDA

View Full Version : Finished my AR

Flinter
04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
For those of you who remember, I started building an AR a few months ago. It was supposed to be a year long project...I've never really been that patient though. All it still needs is some sort of a scope. I'm debating right now between the Aimpoint and the Eotech.

Here's the obligatory pic;

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac263/Ridge/FinishedAR15-1.jpg

I took it to the range today. 60 rounds of Tula and 60 rounds of PMC X-Tac with only 1 mag related malfunction. I was using a brand new C-Products mag and had a single instance of the bolt not picking up the next round. Pulled the charging handle again and it worked fine. I used that mag for the entire 120 rounds....the malfunction only occured on the first loading and never repeated itself.

I'm calling it a fluke.

So....what do you think? I was unsure of the clubfoot stock when I bought it. I have to admit though, the look really grew on me.

AKTexas
04-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Looks good to me.

Schuetzenman
04-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Very nice Flinter ... but where does the flint go? :biggrina:

Seriously, looks like a really nice job. What twist barrel and did you go chrome lined? Did you put it on paper or were you just function checking it?

ready
04-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Looks good. I have the same handguard on mine.

TEN-32
04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
The butt stock is not my cup of tea, but if you like it thats all that matters. Have you looked at the Vortex red dots?

Flinter
04-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Very nice Flinter ... but where does the flint go? :biggrina:

Seriously, looks like a really nice job. What twist barrel and did you go chrome lined? Did you put it on paper or were you just function checking it?

Thanks. I can't believe how incredibly easy these things go together. Definately easier than a flintlock!

The barrel is a RRA chrome lined 1/9. I was mainly function testing. I did shoot at paper, but it was offhand and sort of fast. All I can you is that, under those conditions, it shooots an 8 1/2 x 11 inch pattern @ 50 yards. :cool:

I'll sight it in on the next range trip.

Flinter
04-22-2011, 09:10 PM
The butt stock is not my cup of tea, but if you like it thats all that matters. Have you looked at the Vortex red dots?

I wasn't sold on the stock at first either. I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. What sold me was the very large storage compartment inside of it. This thing will hold a bore snake, a couple allen wrenches, an oil dropper, spare firing pin and a sandwich.

After installing it and playing with it...I like it.

I've never heard of a Vortex red dot. I'll have to look into it.

ready
04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
The Vortex is a good sight. Only thing I don't like is the odd battery. I just bought a Bushnell TRS25, 89 bucks. It's on my AK now with a few hundred rounds through it and so far, I'm pretty impressed with it.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1x25-trophy-series-riflescope-trs-25-red-dot-731303.html

TEN-32
04-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I wasn't sold on the stock at first either. I thought it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. What sold me was the very large storage compartment inside of it. This thing will hold a bore snake, a couple allen wrenches, an oil dropper, spare firing pin and a sandwich.

After installing it and playing with it...I like it.

I've never heard of a Vortex red dot. I'll have to look into it.

I hear you man. There is much to be said for function over form. Utility is important. Its a nice looking rig and congrats on your build.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

Flinter
04-22-2011, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=ready;125583]I just bought a Bushnell TRS25, 89 bucks. [QUOTE]

89 bucks may be worth buying just to play with until I decide on a permanent sight. Heck, I could always find something else to mount it on later if I didn't like it on the AR.

Schuetzenman
04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
I just bought a Bushnell TRS25, 89 bucks.

89 bucks may be worth buying just to play with until I decide on a permanent sight. Heck, I could always find something else to mount it on later if I didn't like it on the AR.

Well about 2 years ago I got my first red dot. I looked at the Busnell, Aimpoint and Eotech. I went Eotech because of the wider field of view and that if you can see the red dot you will hit the target given the holograph projection of the dot. The Aimpoint were a close second but they don't have that field of view thing going on. They do have an almost never die battery life and that really was hard to turn down. Now if somebody could just do an Eotech with the battery life of an Aimpoint! That would be something else.

ready
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Agreed. Or an Aimpoint with an Eotech reticle. I'd settle for that.

slamfire51
04-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Looking good, flinter. Congrats!
I too was wondering where the flint goes. LOL

Building ARs is pretty easy and fun.

Mark Ducati
04-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice Build... you weren't initially sure about the club foot, that's okay... that's the neat thing about AR's... they're Chevy's.... you can swap parts to your heart's content and customize it to your liking.

So what's your plan for a sling?

Something like your build above, I'm partial to a single point sling.... I'd use one of those buffer tube plates that's got the cut out/ring on the left side for the sling attachment.

You also might want to move the flashlight to the 3 or 9 o'clock position and put a bi-pod on...

Flinter
04-23-2011, 08:01 AM
So what's your plan for a sling?

Something like your build above, I'm partial to a single point sling.... I'd use one of those buffer tube plates that's got the cut out/ring on the left side for the sling attachment.

You also might want to move the flashlight to the 3 or 9 o'clock position and put a bi-pod on...

I thought about installing one of those plates. I'm not familiar with a one point sling though. If they hang the rifle the way that I imagine they do, wouldn't that bang your rifle against against a handgun if you were wearing one? Or does it hang more center of body? I really don't know and haven't looked into it yet.

I have a little button that attaches into the holes of the handguard on order now. The stock has the same button and 3 places to attach it (bottom and both sides). My goal is to set it up so that it will lay flat against my back when carrying it.

The light.... I had 3 rail pieces on my handguard when I first installed it. You can place the rails anywhere you have holes. I started off with the light at 9 o'clock but found it hard to engage when I had the rifle shouldered. So I moved it to 3 o'clock and that was much better. This is sort of a home/yard defensive gun in my mind though and I found that 3 and 9 o'clock were both a bitch when going around corners. The 6 o'clock mount allows me to shoot around corners and operate the switch easily. For right now that's what's working the best.

deth502
04-23-2011, 08:22 AM
i like it!!!

personally, id agree id rather see a bipod there instead of a flashlight, but that wouldnt help you for what your using it for. other than that, :thumbsup: even the stock. i think it works well with the rifle.

Mark Ducati
04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
No Flinter, that's the whole idea of the single point sling... IF your right handed, when the rifle is dropped, the butt stock hangs in front of your right shoulder, the length of the rifle drapes over your body with the muzzle pointing towards your left knee... so in the event of a malfunction/out of ammo/ect... you drop the rifle so it passively hangs while you reach for your side arm holstered on your right hip...

Then when you pick the rifle back up, its at the ready heightwise as the attachment point literally places it in the middle of your chest...

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/images/Single_Point_Sling_Photo%27s003%5B1%5D.jpg

Mark Ducati
04-23-2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgg1nbVQsjs&playnext=1&list=PLA1C11C86743DD10D

Once I discovered the Single Point Sling, I slowly converted ALL of my rifles to this configuration... they can be kind of expensive though, any where from $50-100 bucks or more.

ready
04-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Or 5 bucks.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?8636-Edumacate-me-on-making-my-own-sling..&highlight=making+sling

With a single point, though, the rifle won't sit tight against your back if you were hiking or whatever. For something like that I would recommend a VTAC. You can pull it tight against your body and it has a quick release tab you pull that lets the slack out to shoulder the rifle.