PDA

View Full Version : Did you see the news about Dow Corning's gorilla glass?

O.S.O.K.
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Aparently, this stuff was invented back in the 60's but a really good application didn't become apparent to them until 2008 when it was applied as a protectant for LCD screens.

Aparently, its now being designed into all sorts of things like television monitors which will no longer require a "frame".

Dow Corning is looking to make tens of billions in profit off of this stuff.

So, makes me wonder... what else is sitting on the shelves of industry gathering dust?

L1A1Rocker
08-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes, I was reading about that. I couldn't stop thinking ,"that's transparent aluminum", lol.

But yeah, there is no telling what is on shelves. Did you know that the MP3 code was developed years before the players came out and "sat on a shelf"? The processing power needed was too much at that stage of tech to be practicle. Sooo, once better processors came out that were much smaller the MP3 code was remembered and the rest is history.

O.S.O.K.
08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
yeah, the knowledge is outstripping the applications. The limiting factor is becoming product development and rapid move to market...

interesting when you think about it... the most effecient system in existence to facilitate this is capitalism and our stinking marxist leaders are working on overtime to destroy it.

LAGC
08-02-2010, 07:31 PM
yeah, the knowledge is outstripping the applications. The limiting factor is becoming product development and rapid move to market...

interesting when you think about it... the most effecient system in existence to facilitate this is capitalism and our stinking marxist leaders are working on overtime to destroy it.

How so? This economy is still overwhelmingly (over 90%) private sector driven. If there are any Marxist leaders, I fail to see how they've shown their hand. Hell, health care "reform" didn't even pass with a public option, let alone single-payer. Its nothing but a massive giveaway to the private insurance companies. Where's the Marxist conspiracy besides in the back of Glenn Beck's mind?

American Rage
08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Interesting. I'd like to see some "gorilla glass"

Rage

sevlex
08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Is it bullet proof?
:wondering:

slamfire51
08-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Is it bullet proof?
:wondering:

Easy way to find out is shoot your LCD monitor or LCD TV and let us know.

old Grump
08-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Who cleans up after the gorilla, I aint going to.

Mark Ducati
08-03-2010, 07:00 AM
So they finally pulled the windshield off of the alien craft at Area 51 eh?

Mark Ducati
08-03-2010, 07:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxj6gRYwS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcGieF15lO0

Smitty258
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
My Motorola Droid has a Gorilla Glass screen. It's awesome!

TheMrMitch
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I started school in 1948. During grade school, in the early 50s, we went to Indiana Bell (or its name then) in Jeffersonville, Ind for a class trip.

We were shown all kinds of things but the thing I remember the most was Lasers.
They weren't called lasers but the concept was the same. Machines shooting rays of light!

I was fascinated! AND.....does anyone remember the portable x-ray machines of the 50s? At most Thom McAnn shoe stores?
Lots of things have been around for awhile.

Full Otto
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I remember not being tall enough to see my own feet but was held up and got to see the feet of whoever was holding me