PDA

View Full Version : Am I a Bad Influence?

hazmat
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I've been dragging a 1911 along beside me since I got my first permit in 2004. Since then, I've bought several, from full length government models down to micro 3" officers.

But since I 'got*' my folks into shooting and finally convincing them to get their CCW permits, my Mother has been itching to shoot my 1911s.

Last time we went to the range together, she got her wish and put a couple of mags through my Kimber Ultra Raptor. She fell in love. (My wife did the same thing.)

For her birthday, Dad and I went down and picked her up a Rock Island Armory officers model with 3.25" barrel for her birthday.

As she got ready to open the wrapping paper, she knew what it was. When she got the paper off and the case opened, it looked like a kid at Christmas time. Unfortunately, she can't go shooting for a while as she's recovering from a 4-wheeler accident that left her with a fractured pelvis, 2 busted ribs, and 7 staples in her noggin.

*Its taken my folks a little over 6 years to finally realize that what I've been telling them the whole time is true. They've always been gun owners, but that was a token thing. Dad had a couple of rifles for hunting, plus an old Astra wheelgun he used to lug around back in the 70s, while my Mother had a pistol she inherited from her Mother. But nary an autoloader in the house. Going out and shooting was something that was reserved for hunting season prep, and never for skills or for fun.

Now, they've each got semi-auto pistols and each has a CCW permit. My Dad is even considering getting one them 'evil black rifles'. Can you say 'sea change' in attitude? I guess it's better late than never.

mriddick
08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
From a Kimber Ultra Raptor to a RIA officers? You go to son up and give her the Raptor :)

Come on she's you're mother....

Moebrown20
08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
If this is a yes or no question then the answer is no.
It was always in their system..... but you did encourage them.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, those 1911's are a gateway gun.

Then it's a 10mm, then it's an AK variant, then it's a semi auto 1919...

Pretty soon they'll be taking out a third mortgage and submitting the paper work to transfer a GE minigun with enough ammo to last the weekend...:naughty:

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 12:44 AM
These are the stories I love to read.

My uncle is my influence,he is the one who started my gun owner life style.Back in 1990 his house was robbed and he lost all his rifles plus our bows,TV and any other electronic fun stuff.The assholes took even the 8-track,record player.

My uncle was left with the few rifles he had stashed in his closet and handguns he kept in the floor safe.The closet was hidden by the door to the master bath.

He was working on his masters degree and did not have the money to replace what was stolen,some he would not have been able to any way.Two were one of kind Weatherby's made for his grandfather when he hunted Africa.

My uncle picked up a few pieces here and there because they were affordable items.But he did not have the gun bug anymore nor the interest in shooting.

Then I got my first mosin and we went to the range.He discovered the surplus love affair and he got his bug back.He has increased his collection and mine as well.My aunt says I'm the bad influence now.

RCS
08-03-2010, 10:13 AM
If this is a yes or no question then the answer is no.
It was always in their system..... but you did encourage them.

+1.

hazmat
08-03-2010, 07:54 PM
From a Kimber Ultra Raptor to a RIA officers? You go to son up and give her the Raptor :)

Come on she's you're mother....

I didn't buy her the weapon, I was consulted by my Dad on the subject. He wanted a good, inexpensive 1911 for Mom and the RI fit the bill. He originally wanted to get her a HS Crusader Compact like the one I gave my wife for her BD, but all they had was the RI.

And yes, I'm a selfish bastard; the Kimber's the baby of my 1911s. I carry the others, but I always come back to the Raptor. ;)