PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening stone?

ready
04-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Looking for a sharpening stone. From what I've read, the Arkansas Soft Stone is a good all around stone to carry around.

Is that about right?

I'm looking for something small enough to attach to my sheath.

jojo
04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
I've had good experience with the white/gray ones but if you are going to carry it with you, I would recommend one of the diamond stones (small flat steel impregnated with diamond dust).

cevulirn
04-24-2011, 10:21 PM
If ya want something portable to take around with ya, take a look at these:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Diamond-Card-Sized-Sharpener-P19C24.aspx
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=87

I haven't used the DMT's, but I've used Spyderco hones of the same materials in the second link, and they're awesome for knives. Or you could always try a Byrd..
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=253

ready
04-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I saw those. Would a coarse grit be ideal for field sharpening or should I find a medium grit sharpener?

cevulirn
04-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, depends on what your doing with the blade. If you want it actually sharp, go with the 1200 grit DMT or the spyderco dual stone. The spyderco fine will actually be quite a bit finer then the DMT extra fine, but won't sharpen as fast. If you just want to keep a basic cutting edge going, try the Byrd or DMT 600 grit. Personaly I'd stay away from the 325 for anything but cutting a new bevel on an abused blade, and I'd use a larger stone for that. The byrd does make getting the angle right for those who aren't skilled at sharpening a blade though.

ready
04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Copy that. I'll practice with some cheap knives, first. I have one of those sharpeners with the ceramic wheels on it but I've never used a flat sharpening surface before.

cevulirn
04-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Well, the first trick is to keep the angle the same with every stroke. The second trick is to maintain light even pressure, especially with the diamond stones. Now, the only one of the stones that I've suggested that would come even close to the the factory edge would be the fine side of the spyderco, but an edge doesn't have to be highly polished to have cutting power, and a 600 grit diamond stone can keep a knife useful while on the go. I really prefer bench stones (Spyderco Ultrafine bench stone rocks!) but they aren't near so handy to keep with ya.

ready
04-24-2011, 11:31 PM
I found one that's double sided with 1000/4000. I may try that.

One more question, they say you can sharpen a knife on just about anything in a fix, could you use sandpaper?

cevulirn
04-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I found one that's double sided with 1000/4000. I may try that.

One more question, they say you can sharpen a knife on just about anything in a fix, could you use sandpaper?

http://www.woodworkstuff.net/scary.html

With something flat to back it against, yes. I still like my stones and ceramics.

Izzy
07-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Home Depot has Norton Oil Stones that are better than Arkansas stones .

cevulirn
07-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Home Depot has Norton Oil Stones that are better than Arkansas stones .

And what are you trying to sharpen? And what Arkansas stones have you dealt with in the past? I guarantee you my translucent Arkansas stone is better quality. While norton does make some decent stones, the cheep home depot one isn't one I'd recommend. Then again, I am picky about what I hone my knives with.

Izzy
07-11-2011, 11:47 AM
For fine Work I use Japanese water stones ( Bear, Sun King, Sun Tiger, etc.). I also have some USA made norton WATER stones, they are good, but they dont get the edge as fine and the Jap. 8000 grit.

I have some real stones as well ( "green" and black finishing stones).

He (OP) sounded like he needs a small all around stone, granted what I propose is not extreemly small, it can fit in the pack nicely.

The cheaper norton stones are good for an axe or blade, or machete, but they need a bit of oil (...though in a pinch you can skip that or use water).

How much does a transclucent stone cost? Would you bring it into the field to get chipped or dammaged? Just some thoughts.

cevulirn
07-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Any good natural stone is going to be expensive. No, I wouldn't want to take my Translucent Arkansas into the field. Hence the nature of my recomendations. Will the 600 grit diamond stones make a blade SHARP? not really, but they will maintain an edge with decent cutting power on a draw cut, and they work fast. The medium/fine spyderco pocket stone won't be as aggressive, but the fine side will make an edge quite sharp, and the medium is aggressive enough to be useful. The biggest plus side to the pocket stones and the byrd, is they don't require oil or water to lubricate the stone.

Izzy
07-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Any good natural stone is going to be expensive. No, I wouldn't want to take my Translucent Arkansas into the field. Hence the nature of my recomendations. Will the 600 grit diamond stones make a blade SHARP? not really, but they will maintain an edge with decent cutting power on a draw cut, and they work fast. The medium/fine spyderco pocket stone won't be as aggressive, but the fine side will make an edge quite sharp, and the medium is aggressive enough to be useful. The biggest plus side to the pocket stones and the byrd, is they don't require oil or water to lubricate the stone.

Looking back at my first post in the thread, I may have oversimplified by saying the norton stones were "better". In fact we BOTH know it depends on what , how, when, where, and why. I agree with your first post in the thread about a corser diamond stone...a cheap carborundum stone ( like the el cheapo norton at the Home depot) will work as well, but will not attach to a sheath. Still it's better than a "mini" stone if you are willing to carry it, and smaller than a more expensive "full size" stone.