PDA

View Full Version : Suppressed Glock goodness.

ready
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
deleted

AKTexas
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
I want a .45 Suppressor for my G21. I think it might be a wee bit quieter. That and one for the MK III, these damn dogs better not howl and bark at 3am again.

Looks good and anti-brady.

ready
04-25-2011, 10:03 PM
If I can sneak a video at the range, I'll post it. I use the TAC65 for my .22's. Cheap and does what it's supposed to do. Only bad thing is with a Ruger, you have to buy a threaded upper which is considered a firearm and has to be transferred. I also have a Buckmark which you can just replace the barrel on.

AKTexas
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I have looked at getting a Buckmark for that reason. The Ruger is just so dame accurate otherwise. Nothing like shooting the center out of the bull at 15 yards.

We need more activity like videos to liven this place up some.

Partisan1983
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I want a .45 Suppressor for my G21. I think it might be a wee bit quieter. That and one for the MK III, these damn dogs better not howl and bark at 3am again.

Looks good and anti-brady.

suppressed 9mm is quieter than .45ACP suppressed, FWIW

ready
04-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I was going to mention that. The Blackside was my first suppressor and at the time I didn't know much about suppression. I chose .45 because it's already a subsonic round I figured it was easy to silence. It was louder than I expected. It seems to depend on ammo type, media and weather. I liken it to hitting a tire with a baseball bat, it's more of a thumping sound. I'm really curious to hear what the 9mm is going to sound like through it.

Helen Keller
04-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Hey

if it don't work you'll need to send it to them for a L.I.D. upgrade, around $200 + shipping and a 45 day return.

in the same boat with mine.

ready
04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Just what I feel like dealing with. I might try a lighter recoil spring, first. I sent Gemtech an email in anticipation of needing a LID and I still haven't heard anything.

Helen Keller
04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Heres the exact Email you will be getting.

ME***Hello

I own a Blackside .45 suppressor and would like to know cost/turnaround
time to have it equipped with a L.I.D. so I can use it on a Glock or
1911. ******

We charge $210 for parts, labor, and return S&H to convert to a LID
mount. Turnaround time in our Custom Shop is currently about 45 days.

Regards,
Gemtech Techstaff

ME** After being converted to a LID mount, are there any issues using it on
guns that Do not require an LID ?? ***

If you plan to also use it on a fixed barrel weapon like a carbine then
you will need to remove the LID components and install the old fixed
mount to use it. That is easily done in the field without the need for
tools.

Regards,

Gemtech Techstaff

What I really wanna know is , will they upgrade my aluminum baffles to Stainless.......... Or find someone who can.

ready
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Would it really make a difference with an aluminum tube? I'm a little worried about corrosion, too. I use water in mine even though they say not to. I don't see any corrosion after a few years, I just make sure I shoot it dry before I put it away. I took the cap off mine once because it came loose and I couldn't get the baffles out. I don't know if they were just stuck in there from carbon build up or what. My .22 suppressor you can just dump them out and soak them in carb cleaner.

AKTexas
04-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I got a chance to shoot both a 9mm and .45 suppressed handgun. I was wearing double hearing protection at the range and was invited to try them out. To me the .45 seemed quieter than the 9mm. I noticed the different sound that the 9mm made from a few lanes over from me.

Always figured it was quieter.

ready
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Could have been. Depends on the ammo. Most people with 9mm suppressors use 147grn ammo or handloads to keep it subsonic, anything else is going to be louder. Also, the tone is different with the .45 being a deeper thump than the 9mm which has more of a hard sound, at least to my ears.

AKTexas
04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
I think it was all factory ammo the owner was using. The .45 was more of a thump and the 9mm was a crack.

nfa1934
04-26-2011, 02:27 PM
The reason .45 doesn't suppress well is because you have a fairly large hole through the middle of the suppresor. 9mm suppresses better than .45 because of the smaller bore diameter. You don't gain any of the 9mm advantages running it through a .45 can. Should still be fun though.

Helen Keller
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
When I had a threaded barrel for my UZI with 147gr cast loads the only sound you heard was the bolt .

I have a Semi Grease Gun on the way and I will be setting it up for this can as well.
WIsh we could just pay $XXX and have them mail the LID adapter to us.

ready
04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I don't understand that. It's not a registered part, you can order adapters for the multi-mount and they said right in their email that you can switch back and forth between LID and non-LID mounts yourself as needed. WTF?

Partisan1983
04-27-2011, 01:41 AM
Not only does caliber or ammo choices affect suppression, but also different platforms suppress better than other's.

For example a SIG P220 suppresses better than a 1911 (both in .45ACP).

An AR15 suppresses better than a AK (both in 5.56).

An FAL suppresses better than a M14

...etc. etc. etc. etc.

...and of course if you are running your can wet or dry, will change things up. Then different suppressor designs are also a factor, then temperature, humidity and elevation play another factor.

It can get complicated ;)