PDA

View Full Version : Steel Cased Ammo

ltorlo64
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Is there any problem with firing steel cased ammo? I have read some negative reports because it is harder than brass, and I have read neutral reports. I really don't want to damage a gun using steel cased ammo if there is a danger. It is generally cheaper than brass though. Of course, you could say, you get what you pay for.

NewbieAKguy
08-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I use steel cased ammo in my Taurus 1911, SA xd9, dpms ar-15, and ptr-91. No adverse effects in any of them so far. Do I shoot thousands of rounds through them to see what happens? No. I'm of the opinion that if the so-called "better" brands out there can't handle steel ammo, especially ARs, then they're not worth my time if their quality of metal parts can't hold up. If steel is really that bad, why is Hornady now producing steel cased ammo?

I think it's kind of like the argument of dry firing or not, or upgrading the extractor spring in AR bolts....some swear by it, others say not necessary.

Edit: I should have been specific before: I've used Wolf (black box) in my AR, ptr-91, 1911 and xd9. Brown Bear in my AR and xd9. As I said, no problems with any of them so far. I have not used the Wolf military classic, and from reading Circuits' thread chances are I won't.......or only in a pinch.

Richard Simmons
08-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Other than my AK or SKS I've only fired steel case Wolf 45ACP in my Series 80 Government model and I had no issues.

Citizen Pain
08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I've shot 3000 rds of wolf steel case through an AR with a model1sales barrel and bolt(chrome) with no problems. 500rds of wolf through a Rock island 1911 with no problems. My experience has been positive. However I should note that my coworkers state that steel case is bad, I also have had a customer come in with an olympic arms bolt carrier snapped in half, he swore it was from firing steel case ammo but I doubt it. Last but not least some rifle manufacturers void warranty if steel case is used in their guns. If it is an investment gun, then i would baby it with brass cased non corrosive. If it is a century or beater rifle i would take my chances with cheaper ammo. If worse comes to worse and you damage something, you can always attempt to repair it.

cp

awp101
08-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Unless the steel case or steel extractor were improperly hardened the extractor should be harder than the steel case...

aliceinchains
08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Unless the steel case or steel extractor were improperly hardened the extractor should be harder than the steel case...

Yes you made a good point. Of course the brass is much softer and will wear less on a semi -auto. Steel case is harder but not as hard as the components in the gun its self. But the steel causes more friction and will cause more wear then brass.

Helen Keller
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I also have had a customer come in with an olympic arms bolt carrier snapped in half, he swore it was from firing steel case ammo but I doubt it.

:joker:

That's like saying " My SKS went full auto cause it has a 90210 sticker on it"

aliceinchains
08-14-2010, 10:32 PM
:joker:

That's like saying " My SKS went full auto cause it has a 90210 sticker on it"

Agreed there is no reason for a bolt to snap in half. Maybe blow the lugs off from a hot load from an idiot. Remember the guy from Sarco right through his fore head .

imanaknut
08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
For what it's worth, I have an SAR-1 that has fired over 13,000 rounds of steel case ammo (why waste good stuff on an SAR-1?) and it still looks new inside. I have fired over 8000 rounds through my SAR-3 and it still looks great.

I just built an M4gery and using J&T parts and decided to try some Tula marked stuff through it. Not a problem after just 500 rounds. Will try to keep track of what I put through it, but most modern firearms should have no problem with steel case ammo.

deth502
08-14-2010, 10:40 PM
imo, everyone always cries about wear and extractors and shit using steel, i say its all bullshit. but if, otoh, you were worried about buildup and crud from the polymer or laquer coatings, then id say maybe. i KNOW i always have a shit load of primer sealent flakes to clean out after using it.

Citizen Pain
08-15-2010, 12:55 AM
That's very true ^ The only down side I see is the cheaper steel case puts lacquer sealant all over fc groups and chambers.

whos2kno
08-28-2010, 11:18 PM
its pretty much all i use and ive never had a problem with it
i have a 56s-2 i know ive several thousand round through it and looks new inside

i would not worry about it

Blacksmith
08-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I’ve tried the knife test on the steel and brass cases. I came to the conclusion that the extractor issue is BS.
However there is other differences. I prefer the steel cased rounds in something like my p64. because of the unsupported chamber. In others , due to tight chambers I prefer the Brass. In others like my AKM’s, I will only use steel coated ammo. If I use brass my accuracy goes to hell.
IMO
Just figure out what she likes to eat, and feed her.

Dafapa
08-29-2010, 12:00 AM
My primary concern with steel cased is the lacquer/polymer coating on the rounds. I've read things that make me worry about residual build up in the chamber. Also, judging from my SAR-1, the stuff sealed with red lacquer around the bullet leaves a bit of a mess. Of the guns I own, I'm only concerned for my ARs. I have no concern for AK type weapons.

I've put loads of wolf through two handguns. The only issues I've noticed with steel cased pistol ammo is that it does not like to load to capacity in high caps. I had a 30 rnd mag for a 9mm, and the 9mm wolf would not load to capacity in it (couldn't get more than maybe 15), while brass cased worked fine.

As too all that extractor business, like others have said, the extractor should be harder than the steel in the case (which should be fairly soft and malleable as far as steel goes).

Flinter
08-29-2010, 04:40 AM
I bought my first box of steel cased ammo in 1994. I heard my first horror story about steel cased ammo in 1995. You'd think that after all this time it would be either proven or disproven by now.

I've never had a problem with anything I've fired it in. I did, however, see my first steel case split 2 weeks ago. It was a Wolf Black Box .30 carbine round.

HDR
08-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Someone did post once that the lacquer gummed up his extractor so badly it wouldn't extract.

deth502
08-29-2010, 08:15 AM
In others like my AKM’s, I will only use steel coated ammo. If I use brass my accuracy goes to hell.

in x39, right?

ive seen this in my sks. the cheap steel shoots great but the expensive brass sucks.

ive concluded its in the bullet size. every steel case ive seen was imported, and had teh .311 bullet. the brass stuff was all domestic and had teh .308 bullet.

with the imported yugo brass thats around now, id bet that would be more accurate for you, if you wanted to shoot corrosive. personally, ill stick to the steel.

ATAK, Inc.
08-29-2010, 09:01 AM
My DPMS M4 has no problem with laquer coated, but if there is a concern, get zinc or brass plated steel case ammo.

Bottom line, it's a individual gun to gun issue, along with personal preference.

slamfire51
08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I think if people chimed in on the faults of brass cased ammo, you'd hear as many, if not more bad things.
The only failure I've had using steel cased ammo was the cartridge itself. The 2 Berdan primer holes were not drilled/formed during production.
The result was the primer fired, then popped out of the case and fell down into the FCG of the SKS I was shooting and jammed it. I had to remove the FCG to get it out.

Other than that, I have shot steel cased 223 in my Bushmaster, 9mm in my Beretta with no adverse results other than being dirty.

IMO, you're good to go if the firearm you're shooting it in is mechanically sound.