PDA

View Full Version : Saving seeds?

recon
04-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Guess I'll get this and read up on how to do this just in case.

http://www.amazon.com/Saving-Seeds-Gardeners-Down-Earth/dp/0882666347#_?tag=survivaldiscu-20

slamfire51
04-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I saved all my bell pepper and cantaloupe seeds from last year.
I'm hoping they weren't hybrids.

Integratedj
04-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Unless they were labeled as non hybrid that's what you got. I have never had cantaloupe's grow true the next year.

Only buy heirloom seeds. If it doesn't say heirloom on the package, it's probably a hybrid or GMO product. Same goes for any plant bought at the big box stores. I didn't see one heirloom anything at the lowe's down here when I looked.

slamfire51
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
The local Farmer's CO-OP has a lot of heirloom seeds of different veggies.
It's the first year I've seen them there.
I did see some heirloom tomato plants as well.

Mark Ducati
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
One year, we had some Acorn Squash... the dogs got into the trash and scattered the seeds in the front yard.... those things took off like wild fire! We had like 50-60 Acorn Squash from the vines... and these vines spread out like 40 feet! No joke! We had more squash than we could eat.

But laying on the ground, it seemed that about 1/3 of them had small bug holes in the bottom... if we ever grow this kind of squash again, I think I might try getting some of those disposable styrofoam plates to put under each squash to see if that helps with the bugs?

slamfire51
04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
One year, we had some Acorn Squash... the dogs got into the trash and scattered the seeds in the front yard.... those things took off like wild fire! We had like 50-60 Acorn Squash from the vines... and these vines spread out like 40 feet! No joke! We had more squash than we could eat.

But laying on the ground, it seemed that about 1/3 of them had small bug holes in the bottom... if we ever grow this kind of squash again, I think I might try getting some of those disposable styrofoam plates to put under each squash to see if that helps with the bugs?

The plate won't help.
There is a insect (can't remember it's name at the moment) that lays it's eggs in the base of squash plants. After the deed is done, you will notice the plants really struggling to survive. The leaves will start to turn yellow, and if they get to this point, you are SOL in having squash.
I take a syringe full of Sevan liquid and inject the stems at the base of the plant. This kills the eggs and larvae if they have hatched.

If you don't feel comfortable injecting, be sure to keep Sevan dust on the plants from planting to harvest.