PDA

View Full Version : Bush Bow, some pics and arrow

arcangel
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Finished up on my first bow of the season, this one is made of honeysuckle and stands at 4' 6''. The arrow is made of the same. Tools used a drywall saw to cut it down, my new tomahawk to carve and shape and my gerber fixed blade to hone it a bit. The string is an old hoodie string with copper wire for the nock points, and the handle is an old Mosin Nagant cleaning kit pouch cut up and wrapped then wrapped in electrical tape. The arrow head is from an old microwave, and duct tape flechings, and electrical tape for a pattern. The duct tape fletchings are very consistant on accuracy for me so far. It took 10 hours to make the bow, and each arrow about 2 hours. Cut down some Osage Orange today and shaped it into a stave, and starting the drying.

old Grump
04-29-2011, 10:22 PM
What is the draw weight and draw length on that? Strong enough to take a rabbit at 15 yards?

arcangel
04-29-2011, 11:56 PM
At 15 yards its going 8-10 inches into the target, draw weight is around 40 lbs, draw length is 24 inches. I would probably be reluctant to hunt anything larger than deer, of course a good vital hit would be ideal. Depends on how hungry i was. Fun hobby though.

old Grump
04-30-2011, 01:05 AM
40 pounds is plenty as long as you have good sharp cutting points and your arrow holds true. Something everybody should know how to do.

arcangel
04-30-2011, 02:21 AM
All the arrowheads I make are some evil little fuckers I either grind the metal ones or knap glass, just moved to glass, rather than flint, I found a trash heap behind where I live and the glass bottles are endless it seems, Im working on some aqua blue glass arrow heads that are going to look sweet if they turn out. And untill I can harvest a goose or duck for some traditional arrows duct tape is great, they fly straight. Any body here ever attempt a crossbow? Im thinking about trying to build one after I finish my osage bow.

romak10/63UF
04-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Notch the wood at the front of the arrow were the arrow head goes in.. looks like it needs to be notched more for the string to hold better also make the wood at the very begining of the arrow head more flush with the arrow head you are making drag .

O.S.O.K.
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Interesting. Do you have a video camera function on your digi cam? If so, shoot a quick vid of a "range session" and post to youtube. I think we'd all be interested in that.

Cool topic. :)

old Grump
04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Yup, cool is the word. I loved my old Bear re-curve but there is just something about shooting something made by hand and not mass produced on a factory floor.

arcangel
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I dont have a video camera, if I did I would of posted a range report like you asked, hell Id probably piece together a vid on how to make the bow/arrows. I took the pics on my phone.