PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for you dog lovers, owners, breeders etc. etc.

Partisan1983
04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
My wife and I are in need of a dog that will make a good guard dog and is good with cats. No long hair either.

My wife loves Dobermans, but I don't know shit about 'em. I would really love a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but for me it would have to pure breed and that's just not in our budget right now.

Neither one of us care for pits or boxers (which are a dime a dozen in our area).

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Zoff12
04-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Personally... I am a partial to GSD's. You can get a short-haired GSD but the hair is not near as short as the Dobie. GSD's can be easily trained to leave cats alone and I have seen some really strange "friendships" develop between the two critters.

BTW... Buddy of mine had a Rhodesian named Kilgore. Great dog with adults. Too rough playing for small children but was not intentionally trying to do harm. Was a pure demon on any other living thing.... including cats and other dogs

KRUT555
04-30-2011, 08:15 AM
We've had Dobies for 30 years,some times as many 3 at one time,Great dogs,very loving to the owners,some have been very good guard dogs some not (big babys), we prefer reds but each to their own but guard dog or big baby they all have been very protective of their property,we live in the country so they have plenty of room to run and they know their bounderies,very smart and easy to train, but I'm kinda partial.

KRUT555

Integratedj
04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
My wife and I are in need of a dog that will make a good guard dog and is good with cats. No long hair either.

My wife loves Dobermans, but I don't know shit about 'em. I would really love a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but for me it would have to pure breed and that's just not in our budget right now.

Neither one of us care for pits or boxers (which are a dime a dozen in our area).

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

South African Boerboel. Best damn guard dog I have ever been around. Extremely love able and loyal to the family. Gentle with kids and other pets (Mostly, there is always a dog that doesn't like cats out there) Fierce like no other when needed. Great hunting companion, great for herding livestock if need be. Very intelligent, and all of this with a big Blocky head that thieves know better than to mess with. Oh yeah, and even though it's a Mastiff breed.... No Drool. About the only time I've ever seen a Boerboel drool is after a hard workout and a big drink. Other than that nada.

I put off getting a new dog for almost 2 years so I could save up and get a Boerboel. A side job I have today will actually get me the rest of the money needed and sometime this week or next I'm going to put the deposit down on one. I'm incredibly excited about it.

None of these pics are mine, I went internet finding.

http://www.boerboel.no/images/Chaka103.jpg

This is a really big boy. I've seen the females range from 80-140+ lbs, and I've seen Big males top out at just over 200lbs
http://dogsbreed.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Boerboel.png

Hatedbysheeple
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM
another vote for the German Shepard, I would go and check out the local pound before talking to a breeder, they may not have a pure breed, but the mixes they have might workout just as good, mine is GSD heavy mix of GSD and Australian cattle dog, makes for a hell of mix. Always alert, lets us know when someone is at the house usually when they are still pulling up, always friendly towards children and other house pets, very smart, and the only thing he has a problem with is after being cornered by two coyotes as a pup and seeing me kill them, he kills any coyote he sees with out hesitation. Two coyotes were fighting over a barn cat they had killed which my dog was friends with, before they knew what hit them he had plowed over and snapped ones neck, and the other reared up and back trying to get away and he lunged in and tore out its throat.

him laying with my lab, never left her side till she was mobile, this is just after we found her, she had been hanging for about 3 days from a fence, her leg was amputated the next day.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/illinidiver/MVC-008F.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/illinidiver/P1000250_edited-1.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/illinidiver/IMG_0114.jpg

old Grump
04-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Don't sell the boxer short either. the smartest dog bar none that I ever had was a boxer and you couldn't have asked for a gentler kinder animal to have around other pets and kids. Not exactly guard dog material but watch dog yes. That's what you really want.

jojo
04-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Catahoula or Blackmouth Curr

FunkyPertwee
04-30-2011, 11:47 AM

My dad has got two Catahoula / Blackmouth Curr half-breeds. Nothing in the yard goes unharmed, including inanimate objects such as water lines. They're some of the wildest, least listening dogs I ever met. That being said, nothing comes in the yard without us knowing about it and the dogs attempting to eat it.

Just a disclaimer, I didn't raise them and they're not mine. Problem is, they bought the dogs the week they moved into a new place, and no one was around for them for months as puppies (except to feed them) until my dad and his family got settled in.

FunkyPertwee
04-30-2011, 11:54 AM
A Standard Poodle is a good dog if your not worried about not looking manly.

My experience with them has been great. My mother's dog takes commands very well, barks LOUD at people outside, doesn't bark at bullshit, doesn't shed (generally), and is fearless of the water.

And even though he looks foo-foo, he's 90 lbs and tough.

Warthogg
04-30-2011, 01:07 PM
A Standard Poodle is a good dog if your not worried about not looking manly.

My experience with them has been great. My mother's dog takes commands very well, barks LOUD at people outside, doesn't bark at bullshit, doesn't shed (generally), and is fearless of the water.

And even though he looks foo-foo, he's 90 lbs and tough.

Standard Poodles are serious fast !!

Wart

Warthogg
04-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Huh....never even heard of these two. Will google.

Wart

alismith
04-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I like shepherds, but I like them mixed. My last dog was the best, smartest dog I've ever had. She was a Shepherd/Chow mix. Looked like a Sheherd, but was wider and heavier with shorter legs. She was a great watchdog and when she barked, the windows shook. She was great with kids and with cats, but hated moles, mice and voles.

I try to stay away from purebreds because most of them have some kind of hereditary condition that could manifest itself in later life. I've always had good luck with mixed breeds.

No matter what kind you get, try to get a young puppy so you can train it the way you want it to be. I made sure my last dog wasn't afraid of lightning or thunder. She thought nothing of walking with me at night during thunderstorms. They never bothered her a bit.

O.S.O.K.
04-30-2011, 02:40 PM
That Boerbol looks cool. Sounds very much like a Rotweiler. Rottys are much more common and less expensive and fit the same description only not quite as big.

I have a friend that lives in the country and wanted a good dog to scare away would-be burglers when he wasn't at home - or when his wife as alone there. He got a female Rotty and she is a pip. Very nice dog really - had a little bit of time learning to stay down but is picking it up.

MIght look at one of them.

kuntryboy
04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Standard Poodles are serious fast !!

Wart

they were originally bred for hunting. when trained to, they can run a deer until it drops. they also can bite like hell. breeding them down to lab dog size, is what makes them seem woosey.

TheMrMitch
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
A Jack Russell if you can stand a dog wired for 220. Cats? Real good.....cat gone in a few seconds.

TEN-32
04-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Get a rottie rescue dog and never look back. The most protective and loyal dogs there are. I've had two now. Just awesome.

JTHunter
04-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I like shepherds, but I like them mixed.
I try to stay away from purebreds because most of them have some kind of hereditary condition that could manifest itself in later life. I've always had good luck with mixed breeds.
No matter what kind you get, try to get a young puppy so you can train it the way you want it to be. I made sure my last dog wasn't afraid of lightning or thunder. She thought nothing of walking with me at night during thunderstorms. They never bothered her a bit.

AGREED!

Partisan - if you DO go purebred Shep, be very careful! Too many are bred for "show stock" and is adversely affecting the breed. They are breeding the dogs so that the hindquarters slope downwards at a severe angle. The backbone is no longer horizontal the way if should be. This is causing the dogs to have weak hindlegs and hips. Find a breeder that breeds "service dogs" for fire/rescue, private security, or even military use. Even untrained, these dogs will be a step above the rest.
One last thing - on a sad note, large dogs frequently live shorter lives than smaller dogs. Average lifespan of a Rottweiler is 9-12 years (shorter if larger), St. Bernard's 8-10, Ger. Shepherds 10-14, Mastiff's 9-11. Also, their effectiveness as guard dogs fades rapidly as they age. Even before they show signs of joint problems, not necessarily arthritis, they slow down greatly. So, once these dogs are about 7-8 yo, plan on getting a new pup started.
Good luck.

Partisan1983
05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys !!!

That Boerboel is really cool !

We live out in sticks, and we are worried about would be thieves and my wife is scared shitless of our property at night.

I'm liking the shelter idea...hopefully we can visit 'em all next week.

Thanks again guys. I don't know much about dogs at all...very few friends owned one, only family members.

Circle_10
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Regarding German Shepherds, WHY are such sloping hips even considered aesthetically desirable in the US?? It looks unnatural to me, I prefer the working line GSDs I've seen with normal, level backs. The US lines are apparently now useless for any of the tasks that GSDs have traditionally performed.

You could give the Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherd a look. They are gaining popularity as military and LE dogs.

You could go for a Caucasian Ovcharka AKA Caucasian Shpherd or Caucasian Mountain Dog. They are an old breed but relatively new to the US so the AKC crowd hasn't had a chance to ruin them yet through excessive aesthetic selection. Apparently they are one of the most naturally aggressive guard dog breeds in existence. They are extremely protective of the humans and other animals in the household

Look at this thing!
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/ovcharka1tagorfaraonoct04_c2004kubyn.jpg

http://youtu.be/T8aLqSRzSP4

In all seriousness, while I think these are a very interesting breed of dog, one thing that is often repeated is that they are NOT a dog for first time dog owners.

Honestly, with the sad state of purebred dogs in the US, and the fact that so many perfectly healthy "mutts" are put to sleep in shelters every year, I'd recommend a shelter dog.
Though I guess the question is, do you want a watch dog or a guard dog? Almost any dog can be a watch dog, since most will bark at unfamiliar sounds, vehicles, and people. If you want a guard dog that will physically attack intruders, that will usually require a dog with a protective nature and specialized training.

There are some breeds that are more prone to predatory behavior, such as Spitz type dogs (huskies, malamutes..etc..) Terriers, and some other hunting breeds. But really almost any dog can be good with cats if raised with them. As somebody fond of cats though, I will say this, not all cats, but many cats do not handle the addition of a dog to the household well at all. Cats who have access to the outdoors may decide to simply leave home (When I was a kid my cat ran away after my dad remarried and my stepmother's German Shepherd moved in, actually I'm still bitter about that.), and indoor cats may spend all their time in hiding. Make sure that the cat at least always has a place in the house that it can escape to without being followed by the new dog.

Partisan1983
05-01-2011, 03:08 AM
Our cats are indoor only. We love 'em and since we left our 1 bedroom Apt. to a three bedroom house (actually 4, but due to MI laws.....) out in the boonies, they have been awesome at catching and killing deermice.

abpt1
05-01-2011, 08:43 AM
American stafordshire terrier . or a pittbull...

shorthair
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
The larger the dog the larger the costs for everything.

shorthair
05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
American stafordshire terrier . or a pittbull...

Lady just mauled to DEATH in NM by FOUR pitbull's while walking down the side walk. Police only able to wound one dog other three escaped. No I don't have a link.

Integratedj
05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
There are a couple of Boerboels and Boerboel mixes, as well as several Cane Corsos around the states in rescues right now that would probably make great dogs in your situation. I just personally prefer to get a dog that grows that large as a puppy so I know it's whole history and have training laid from an early age.

Integratedj
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Don't sell the boxer short either. the smartest dog bar none that I ever had was a boxer and you couldn't have asked for a gentler kinder animal to have around other pets and kids. Not exactly guard dog material but watch dog yes. That's what you really want.

Sadly many breeders have fucked up the boxer as far as health issues go. Boxers are some of my favorite dogs, but I won't take the gamble on owning one any more with all the issues I see from fucked up hips, Severe allergy problems, to constant cancer/tumor issues. I haven't seen very many Boxers down here in the Phx are that aren't a lumpy mess.

Wow, that thing looks cool. Very interesting breeding and unique dog.

That Boerbol looks cool. Sounds very much like a Rotweiler. Rottys are much more common and less expensive and fit the same description only not quite as big.

I have a friend that lives in the country and wanted a good dog to scare away would-be burglers when he wasn't at home - or when his wife as alone there. He got a female Rotty and she is a pip. Very nice dog really - had a little bit of time learning to stay down but is picking it up.

MIght look at one of them.

As much as I loved him and the breed, my Rotty was a dumb ass lump of loving moron compared to the Boerboels I've been around, and I used to think he was a highly intelligent dog. Boerboels are just on an entirely different level of intelligence. Easier to train, less stubborn, much more instinctive. Their protection instincts put everything else to shame as far as I am concerned. The only downside to them is their size if you aren't prepared to feed or house something that large. That, and the fact the breeders want a left nut for one. That part kind of sucks to.

blobman
05-01-2011, 10:04 AM
csant believe no one has mentioned the good ol lab,whatever you get ,get it from the pound,too many animals there to be going out and buying a 200-700 dog

old Grump
05-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Sadly many breeders have fucked up the boxer as far as health issues go. Boxers are some of my favorite dogs, but I won't take the gamble on owning one any more with all the issues I see from fucked up hips, Severe allergy problems, to constant cancer/tumor issues. I haven't seen very many Boxers down here in the Phx are that aren't a lumpy mess.
They did the same with bulldogs, bred their faces so flat they have bad breathing problems. Some German Shepherds are like that, If you see a fear biter chances are it was a puppymill bred dog and no telling how many generations inbred it was. Had a Walker with hip problems, another breeding mistake. I have had few purebreds and never went looking for one. Had a Lab shepherd mix that was a sweet heart. He used to play with a fox behind the barn for about 10 minutes every night. So much for hunting dog. Kerry Blue Terrier was a fighter and a hunter but he had a nervous tic that the pound said was probably left over from a bout of distemper. His best friend was my black cat. Prettiest dog and good watch dog was my Cocker Spaniel Golden Retriever mix. If he was outside and we were outside he was the most lovable dog there ever was. Ty and get in the house or car without our telling him it was okay and he would try and eat you. He wasn't trained to do that he came up with it on his own. Another black lab shepherd mix didn't care where you went in as long as you scratched his ears. he would let you steal the car as long as he could ride with you. Just like people, no two the same.

Charliebravo
05-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Bullmastiff. Genetically very similar to the Boerboel. The Bullmastiff is 60% Mastiff and 40% Bulldog. The Boerboel will have a slightly higher percentage of Mastiff DNA. The Bullmastiff will be smaller (125-140 lbs. for males), but are much faster and have better endurance. Disposition will be almost identical. Like the Boerboel, there are very laid-back and docile until provoked. They're great with kids, but will probably only tolerate the cat if he was raised with it. Also, don't let them in close proximity to other dogs of the same sex as they are very dog aggressive.

old Grump
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Wife had a German Shepherd/American Foxhound mix that got bred by my division chiefs Bull mastiff. Both dogs were kid friendly and social with other dogs and both dogs were dumb as rocks. The puppies were huge fast growing clumsy lovable monsters and they went fast when the word was put out that they were ready for new homes. Half of the MP's on base showed up at my door wanting one because just knew they had to be the king of guard dogs with that mix in them. They were wrong but who was I to say.

A few months later the Bull Mastiff was laying in the shade alongside my Kerry blue Terrier when they saw a rabbit. My dog was ugly and considered dumb but he went through the gate and turned sharp right to chase the rabbit. The dog everybody admired had a 50' run straight into the chain link fence and broke his neck. He was dead when he hit the ground. Between my dog, my wife's dog that mastiff and the puppies there wasn't a watch dog or guard dog in the bunch. Companions yes but security, forget about it.

Charliebravo
05-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Grump, if someone were to have ever come after me or the family with my Bullmastiff present, she would've eaten their faces. It all comes down to breeding IMO. My uncle owned a kennel and bred champion Bullmastiffs. When the pups are 6-8 weeks old, he courage tests them by starting the lawn mower about 6 feet away from them. He said that out of a litter of 8, two will generally run away, 4 will sit and just look at it, and the best 2 will run up and bark at it. I got one of the last 2. She wasn't to be trifled with.