PDA

View Full Version : Flooding AGAIN

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Today being the 1st Anniversary of the Historic flood that destroyed much of low lying homes and businesses in Middle TN, it's ironic it's happening again.
The Cumberland River in NW TN and KY is out of it's banks and threatening businesses and homes again.
It's storming here and raining to beat the band. Hopefully nothing severe like last week.

The radar image below looks almost identical to last week's during the tornado outbreak.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/radar512011.jpg

mriddick
05-01-2011, 07:14 AM
I posted some pictures earlier of the flooding we're seeing just alittle north of you. It's been a really wet spring thats for sure.

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 07:17 AM
I posted some pictures earlier of the flooding we're seeing just alittle north of you. It's been a really wet spring thats for sure.

I saw those.
Sadly, it's only going to get worse with 3 days of rain predicted.

Schuetzenman
05-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I hope the folks that got flooded out didn't rebuild in the same spot. I would have no sympathy for such individuals or entities. You learned you were in a spot that can flood and you just go back to the same place and build again ... um, um, ummmm!

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I hope the folks that got flooded out didn't rebuild in the same spot. I would have no sympathy for such individuals or entities. You learned you were in a spot that can flood and you just go back to the same place and build again ... um, um, ummmm!

Same thinking here.
I'm on a Shining Hill in the Grove.
No worries of flooding here.
Well, unless we have a Biblical flood.

Warthogg
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM

And the .gov provides flood insurance....again.

Wart

O.S.O.K.
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Sorry to see this - you guys have been battered to death this year. Very sad. :(

And I see the flood situation as being the same as the beach situation for hurricanes.

The tax payer shouldn't have to foot the bill of any of it.

Tornado's are another thing altogether though. But thats absorbed by policy holders of the insurance companies in the form of higher premiums IIRC.

Warthogg
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Tornado's are another thing altogether though. But thats absorbed by policy holders of the insurance companies in the form of higher premiums IIRC.

Higher premiums...yes. But also by eliminating customers in higher risk zones. Was cancelled last year due to hail damage. Pretty difficult to to avoid hail.

Wart

Warthogg
05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
....the same as the beach situation for hurricanes.

The tax payer shouldn't have to foot the bill of any of it.

John Stossel (sp?) included beachfront housing in a program on Fox maybe three weeks ago. Think Stossel said his beachfront home had been destroyed twice and he rebuilt twice from the insurance proceeds. His point was the .gov continued to supply taxpayer money to build/re-build homes in areas vulnerable to hurricanes.

Wart

mriddick
05-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Much of the flooding where I'm at is at the 500 year level (supposedly a flood comes by every 500 years that reaches this point). I can see being hard on those who build in a flood zone year after year but those who built in an area that's supposedly safe 499 years out of 500 is abit much.

IMO any time insurance covers damage that should put the property in high risk, if it does it again then it should be uninsurable. There's alot of private land along the Ohio River on the western border of KY that is basically unisurable to those who want to build there.

That said I still built my house 28 feet above the 500 year mark :)

Helen Keller
05-01-2011, 12:13 PM
got the grass cut and about 1 ton of crap lumber burnt.

and now it's downpouring.

Glad I live so high up now.
Supposed to do this all over again this week.

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
got the grass cut and about 1 ton of crap lumber burnt.

and now it's downpouring.

Glad I live so high up now.
Supposed to do this all over again this week.

At least you got to burn your stuff.
I've been waiting since Feb. to burn a brush pile in the back yard.
It's rained so much, it's never had a chance to dry enough.

wdmason99
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm beginning to believe that our AZ heat isn't so bad after all! Knowing that the 500th year may be next year, some communities along the Ohio ought to go to work on those levees. Maybe they arn't even defending up to a 100 year flood! It must take some real resolve to give up a riverside home place!!!God bless you all.

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't believe earthen levees are substantial enough to hold back such floods. Steel levees like they put down in New Orleans after Katrina is the type to use.
But, the cost would naturally be prohibitive. If the Gov can't build a single wall to keep illegals out, they damn sure won't do it to save citizens from floods.

Warthogg
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
We're getting some MUCH NEEDED rain today in Oklahoma City.

Wart

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
We're getting some MUCH NEEDED rain today in Oklahoma City.

Wart

:thumbspbig:

Solidus-snake
05-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Good, if I could id send all this rain your way. Im so sick of it, we get 3 rainy days for every 1 good day.

This is our first spring In this house and so we have a lot of landscaping to do with not 1 damned good day to do it.

El Duce
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Good, if I could id send all this rain your way. Im so sick of it, we get 3 rainy days for every 1 good day.

This is our first spring In this house and so we have a lot of landscaping to do with not 1 damned good day to do it.

I spent all day yesterday helping my son with a report. Then a baseball game. Today was the day that I had planned on doing yard work (much needed). Sure as Shit. Rains all day.

slamfire51
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey guys, welcome to "Water World".

It does suck. Beats a drought though.