PDA

View Full Version : Questions on replacing an SAR-1 bolt

Penguin
05-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Would I be correct in asuming that if you replace an bolt in general, and SAR-1 in particular that you need to check the head space? If it isn't good how do you head space an AK?

On a some what related note can you thread the barrel on an SAR-1? Or is that against some stupid law? I like to cover my bases before doing something stupid or making recomendations to some one else.

Helen Keller
05-01-2011, 09:08 AM
If it were me. I'd just mic the 2 bolts and compare specs first.

As for threading. It makes it "evil" so you gotta add more US parts

IE: US made muzzle device and maybe a piston pending on your setup.

Schuetzenman
05-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Yes I think you should check headspace. Too tight and you proabably won't get full lockup and put yourself at risk for an out of battery discharge that could seriously f-up your rifle.

Too big a headspace and you may face head seperation, tearing the ass end of the case off and leaving 80% of the casing up in the chamber.

How do you headspace an AK, not easily is the first answer. Barrels are pinned in so you would have to first drive out the cross pin in the trunion below the rear sight. Then you would need to either push the barrel further forward in the case of too tight a headspace or shove it deeper into the turnion if the HS is too large.

Then you would need to drill for a new cross pin with a one size up drill and put in a larger pin to retain the barrel in the new position.

Why you talking about replacing your bolt, did it break?

Nearly forgot to answer the can you thread the muzzle of the barrel question. Short answer is yes you can but it is a counting part so you have to keep your Foreign part content to 10 or less. That usually means you'll have to use a US made muzzle device or swap out a stock or the handguard to get your US parts content right.

O.S.O.K.
05-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I believe most just get different bolts and try em out. Each will have a slightly different tolerance... return the ones that don't headspace right.

But, you probably will be OK and not have to worry about it.

imanaknut
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
If it were me. I'd just mic the 2 bolts and compare specs first.

As for threading. It makes it "evil" so you gotta add more US parts

IE: US made muzzle device and maybe a piston pending on your setup.

Partly correct. The gas piston on the SAR-1 is already a US part according to Century when they were imported. If a US made muzzle brake isn't used, all else being as delivered, you would have an SAR-1 with 11 countable parts if you installed an all imported magazine. This would immediately cause the sun to explode ending all life as we know it in the solar system. According to George Bush the First, the theads were a no-no because flash hiders are so evil. The fact that most AKMs use brakes doesn't matter, it is intent that counts.

Part count thing is about as stupid as it gets! :D

Penguin
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Yes I think you should check headspace. Too tight and you proabably won't get full lockup and put yourself at risk for an out of battery discharge that could seriously f-up your rifle.

Too big a headspace and you may face head seperation, tearing the ass end of the case off and leaving 80% of the casing up in the chamber.

Ok thanks that is what I figured so that is why I asked.

Why you talking about replacing your bolt, did it break?

I don't know what the story is on that exactly. It isn't my AK. It is some one asking me for advice. They say the bolt is really worn. I suspect it is just finish wear but I haven't seen it.

Nearly forgot to answer the can you thread the muzzle of the barrel question. Short answer is yes you can but it is a counting part so you have to keep your Foreign part content to 10 or less. That usually means you'll have to use a US made muzzle device or swap out a stock or the handguard to get your US parts content right.

That is about what I figured. I belive this person is also planing to replace the wood stock set with a new one while they are at it, with a US made one.

Thanks for the answers everyone.