PDA

View Full Version : Lee 7.5 French classic die set - expander die

O.S.O.K.
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I was getting ready to load some more rounds for the MAS 49/56 and was looking at the 10 rounds that I hadn't shot during the previous session. I didn't notice it before but the bullets were loose in the necks - held in place only by the crimp.

So, I pulled the expander from the sizing die and mic'd it - .308". Ah ha. That was the culprit. I wonder why they made it so big?

Well, I fixed it's little ass - chucked it into the drill press and used a mill file to reduce the diameter to around .304" and polished it off.

Loaded the new rounds with this and the bullets are now held nice and tight in the necks.

This should help improve accuracy I would think!

gpwasr10
06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I was getting ready to load some more rounds for the MAS 49/56 and was looking at the 10 rounds that I hadn't shot during the previous session. I didn't notice it before but the bullets were loose in the necks - held in place only by the crimp.

So, I pulled the expander from the sizing die and mic'd it - .308". Ah ha. That was the culprit. I wonder why they made it so big?

Well, I fixed it's little ass - chucked it into the drill press and used a mill file to reduce the diameter to around .304" and polished it off.

Loaded the new rounds with this and the bullets are now held nice and tight in the necks.

This should help improve accuracy I would think!

How do the Lee dies do with 7.5 French Cases? I heard they work better resizing 6.5x55 then working 7.5 French proper. I have ordered a set and will be woorking up some loads soon.

O.S.O.K.
06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
They did great for sizing, seating and crimping - it was just the expander ball that was a bit too large.

gpwasr10
07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Cool, I am trying to figure out what Shell Plate (Hornady Lock n Load Press) I will nedd to actually reload these...

I'll have to Mic the expander and post results.

Thanks!

O.S.O.K.
07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
No problem.