PDA

View Full Version : Class I and class III questions

63DH8
05-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Recently, Washington State passed into law ownership of silencers. I was told I could own one with either a class I or a class III license. The questions I have is, what's the benefit of one over the other? How do get either or both? Is there anything else I need to know about these license and ownership?

btw.... feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

Richard Simmons
05-01-2011, 01:48 PM
If you're talking about an 01FFL and 03FFL then the 01 is for dealing in firearms. To get one of those you need to meet zoning requirements for a business and actually buy and sell firearms, do transfers, etc. An 03FFL is for collectors and doesn't require you to purchase or sell anything in order have it and AFAIK requires no zoning compliance.

Mark Ducati
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
http://archvillain.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/not-this-again.jpg

Are you talking about just buying a silencer for yourself, for private use? Then what you are really discussing is paying a "$200 tax stamp" to the BATFE...

1) Go to your CLEO and have him sign your form 4, CLEO is required that they most likely would have the best knowledge for your county that you don't beat your wife and the cops don't show up on your step every other weekend... in lieu of the CLEO, you can have your local DA or Judge sign for you (I'm not even going to get into the corporate route)

2) Get fingerprinted on specific cards for an NFA transfer (they're white with blue letters/bordering (I forget the fingerprint card #)

3) Send the form 4 with $200 to the BATF at the Virginia address (not the Atlanta one)

4) WAIT about 4 months for the approval.

-------------

"Class 3 License" appertains to a small arms dealer who’s paid a tax named the “Special Occupational Tax” to conduct business with machine guns and various other “National Firearms Act weapons.”

-------------

Find an NFA dealership in your state or neighboring state (if close enough to drive) to pick up your NFA Silencer... this MUST be picked up in person the first time! It cannot be shipped to you, that is, not until you've purchased/paperworked it.... THEN you can ship for repairs and such. Also, you must inform the BATFE of any plans to cross state lines with your NFA item BEFORE you do such... there's a specific form for that too.

To make things EASY for you... now that the laws have passed, you'll likely hear of "NFA dealers" in your state popping up right and left (even though its just silencers now)... they have to do their licensing first, contact them and they will likely give you all the forms and fingerprint cards you need as they benefit from the sale. Otherwise, if your neighboring states are NFA friendly, and the drive isn't that long... go to one of them first, it will be a while before your IN-State dealers get their licensing approved... if you want it quicker, go out of state.

Longest I ever drove for an NFA item was 4 hours to pick it up, 10 minutes to chat and sign the receipt, then 4 hours back home... Waitin' on NFA is like waiting for Christmas.

63DH8
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
http://archvillain.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/not-this-again.jpg

Are you talking about just buying a silencer for yourself, for private use? Then what you are really discussing is paying a "$200 tax stamp" to the BATFE...

1) Go to your CLEO and have him sign your form 4, CLEO is required that they most likely would have the best knowledge for your county that you don't beat your wife and the cops don't show up on your step every other weekend... in lieu of the CLEO, you can have your local DA or Judge sign for you (I'm not even going to get into the corporate route)

2) Get fingerprinted on specific cards for an NFA transfer (they're white with blue letters/bordering (I forget the fingerprint card #)

3) Send the form 4 with $200 to the BATF at the Virginia address (not the Atlanta one)

4) WAIT about 4 months for the approval.

-------------

"Class 3 License" appertains to a small arms dealer who’s paid a tax named the “Special Occupational Tax” to conduct business with machine guns and various other “National Firearms Act weapons.”

-------------

Find an NFA dealership in your state or neighboring state (if close enough to drive) to pick up your NFA Silencer... this MUST be picked up in person the first time! It cannot be shipped to you, that is, not until you've purchased/paperworked it.... THEN you can ship for repairs and such. Also, you must inform the BATFE of any plans to cross state lines with your NFA item BEFORE you do such... there's a specific form for that too.

To make things EASY for you... now that the laws have passed, you'll likely hear of "NFA dealers" in your state popping up right and left (even though its just silencers now)... they have to do their licensing first, contact them and they will likely give you all the forms and fingerprint cards you need as they benefit from the sale. Otherwise, if your neighboring states are NFA friendly, and the drive isn't that long... go to one of them first, it will be a while before your IN-State dealers get their licensing approved... if you want it quicker, go out of state.

Longest I ever drove for an NFA item was 4 hours to pick it up, 10 minutes to chat and sign the receipt, then 4 hours back home... Waitin' on NFA is like waiting for Christmas.

Thanks Mark! That helps tons! We, in Washington State, could own silencers, but couldn't use them, so I never bothered learning the laws to own them. The laws recently changed so we can own them as of this coming July. Some of our residents found ways around the laws by becoming manufacturers so we could use them. Ditto with NFA firearms. There are NFA dealers here, but they are a little hard to find at times.

Whereabouts do I get the forms needed? Do I get them on-line, or do the sheriff have them?

05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Revokable Living Trust is the best way to go about owning a ClassIII firearm/device.
You can purchase Quicken Will Maker and do it yourself. Once you have created the trust, you supply the Certification of Trust, and Declaration of Trust along with the appropriate forms to the BATFE. The benefit is that no fingerprinting, photos, or CLEO sign-off is required. Think of the trust as a box that you keep your toys in. You are the trustee as are those whom you include, such as your daughter(s).

When you find someone to purchase the suppressor from, that person\manufacture will fill out the forms for you. You sign and date your portion, attach a copy of the Certification of Trust, and Declaration of Trust, $200 check and (2) copies of the Form-4, send it off and wait for approval. Once approved, the documents will be sent to your dealer\mfg and they will call you and let you know you can come pick up your new toy.

This is the best way to go about it!

05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Info:
http://www.arizonagunlist.com/How_to_buy_NFA_class3_weapons_with_a_revocable_liv ing_trust_without_a_CLEO_signoff.html

Forms:
http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com_is_undergoing_a_facelift/index.html.html
http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

63DH8
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Info:
http://www.arizonagunlist.com/How_to_buy_NFA_class3_weapons_with_a_revocable_liv ing_trust_without_a_CLEO_signoff.html

Forms:
http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com_is_undergoing_a_facelift/index.html.html
http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

Thanks 308! I greatly appreciate those links. How do you set up a Revokable Living Trust?

05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks 308! I greatly appreciate those links. How do you set up a Revokable Living Trust?

Buy a copy of Quicken Will Maker from Office Depot or somewhere like that. Go to the option of creating a Revokable Living Trust and follow the instructions...it's like using Turbo Tax...it just walks you through the process. You will need to get the documents notorized once you are happy with your work. Piece of cake...or if it's too tough, just have your daughter do it for you old man...lol

63DH8
05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Buy a copy of Quicken Will Maker from Office Depot or somewhere like that. Go to the option of creating a Revokable Living Trust and follow the instructions...it's like using Turbo Tax...it just walks you through the process. You will need to get the documents notorized once you are happy with your work. Piece of cake...or if it's too tough, just have your daughter do it for you old man...lol

Mucho appreciate it! :thumbsup: My younger daughter wants in on the silencers too. I think I'll take your suggestion and make her do the paperwork. :coffee:

Partisan1983
05-01-2011, 11:23 PM
.308 beat me to it.

Suppressor's are STILL a goddamn grey area here in MI......so I'm jealous.