PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a hone on order?

cevulirn
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I decided to pick up a few more hones this week. One synthetic, on diamond, and one natural. I'll show ya pics and reviews when they get here :D

cevulirn
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Argh, I'm excited and I can't wait! I ordered a DMT 325 continuous diamond stone, (For flattening stones.) a 10000 grit Naniwa Super Stone, (for my razors) AND... A Translucent Arkansas bench hone, 2"x8". The finest natural sharpening stone that comes from America. From what I've read, once they're lapped, they can leave an extremely fine edge, and they last forever. They just hone slow. and take a LONG time to lap. Arkansas stones are of course a natural stone, so the actual fineness varies from stone to stone. I just have to wait and see how mine preforms.

Richard Simmons
05-07-2011, 07:05 AM
I've never used a hone before. How do you maintain them? Do you just wash them off or use some kind of cleaner?

cevulirn
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
hone
1. A fine-grained whetstone for giving a keen edge to a cutting tool.

Over on the razor forum is generaly used instead of sharpening stone or other similar terms, mostly because when we sharpen razors we start with 'fine' and work our way up from there. The only time we use corser then a 1000 grit is for flattening other hones. Pretty much any bench stone can be considered a hone.

Different hones take different care and feeding. For example, the 10k grit Naniwa Superstone is a synthetic water stone, which is rather soft. Instead of cleaning it, you lap the surface (with something like a DMT 325 diamond stone) to expose fresh material on the surface. Very material is actually removed, but you do run out of stone eventually. Ceramic hones, like the Spyderco Ultrafine, you use dry and clean with an abrasive cleaner like Comet. It also takes for freakin EVER to lap a Spyderco Ultrafine to perfectly flat. And oil stone like Arkansas stone is used with oil instead of water, the primary purpose of which is to keep the swarf from clogging up the pores in the stone and taking away what grit it has. Naniwa and Norton water stones are rather soft, which is fine for razors, but knives or tools can gouge them. Shaptons are harder water stones, and can come in EXTREMELY fine grits, but are a little pricey, but I'll probably end up picking up a set if I ever have money to throw around. Before lapping, my Ultrafine was awesome for knives, but not quite up to the task as a finisher for razors... I'm still not done lapping it though. Diamond stones like the DMT line cut fast and require little maintenence, but leave a slightly rougher edge... And then there's the natural stones....