PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on finish... To camo or not to camo...

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Pretty much finished my AR. Consists of...

Fulton Armory lower w/ DPMS parts in and out
Model 1 Upper with correct M4 feed ramp geometry, 14.5" barrel with Perm attached Phantom FH
Magpul PG, FG, Single Point MS2 sling
Surefire M76 Rail and M951 light
Meprolight Front Sight post
Matech Rear Sight (Co-witnessed)
Aimpoint M2 M68/CCO

Even with all that Tacti-cool stuff on it... not all that heavy.

Was wondering what I should do as a finish.

Should I leave it all black? Upper and lower color match perfectly although they come from two different manufacturers.

OR

Should I go with a camo paint job? Use a basic woodland 3 color scheme but with the crisscross/snake skin pattern by using fishnet stockings.

Thoughts?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/zoff12/Firearms/AR.jpg

romak10/63UF
05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Yea i would go camo with that nice firearm dont spend more then 300 dollars for camo coating ... Were do you plan on getting it done at ?

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I was going to do it myself. AlumaHyde II probably. A little hesitant to do it and I don't wanna screw it up. Wish there was someone in Virginia that does this type of thing but I guess, if I choose to go that way, I'll attempt it myself. That's the only thing holding me back right now. May try it on my beater FAL first.

AKTexas
05-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I like the idea but I'd be a little hesitant to do it myself. As for the fishnet stockings I trust your spouse does not mind?

Klawndyke
05-02-2011, 07:25 PM
do it on something like a 22, your fal, old stock or your spouse first then go from there.. practice makes perfecto

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I like the idea but I'd be a little hesitant to do it myself. As for the fishnet stockings I trust your spouse does not mind?
She went and bought them for me at some novelty store. I couldn't bring myself to go do it.... "No, Ma'am. I'm not a weirdo. I'm painting an AR. No, Ma'am... they go on the AR not me. Ya see you.... oh... never mind.... just put it on the... better yet... here's cash and keep the change..."

do it on something like a 22, your fal, old stock or your spouse first then go from there.. practice makes perfecto Yeah... I believe I will.

AKTexas
05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
She went and bought them for me at some novelty store. I couldn't bring myself to go do it.... "No, Ma'am. I'm not a weirdo. I'm painting an AR. No, Ma'am... they go on the AR not me. Ya see you.... oh... never mind.... just put it on the... better yet... here's cash and keep the change..."
Yeah... I believe I will.

OSOK has done some nice painting of his stocks using cheese cloth. It appeared like a snake skin as well.

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
OSOK has done some nice painting of his stocks using cheese cloth. It appeared like a snake skin as well.
Maybe we can talk him into making a sticky detailing the process. It would probably help more people than just me.

AKTexas
05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Maybe we can talk him into making a sticky detailing the process. It would probably help more people than just me.

I'm sure he would. PM him with a request. His mini-14 looked good.

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm sure he would. PM him with a request. His mini-14 looked good.
Done... and BCC'd to you since it was your good idea to ask him. lol

AK-J
05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I say go for it! :thumbsup:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/avtomatj/IMG_0145.jpg

I did one of my SAR2s myself. Used krylon. I plan on painting my new AR-15 OD green with something more durable, like duracoat. Then add the camo pattern w/ krylon.

Zoff12
05-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Nice looking green/black there. Sometimes simple is the best.

Hey... some of you other guys post some pics of your homegrown camo paint. Gimme some ideas...

AKTexas
05-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Done... and BCC'd to you since it was your good idea to ask him. lol

Good deal I'm sure he will come through for you.

I say go for it! :thumbsup:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/avtomatj/IMG_0145.jpg

I did one of my SAR2s myself. Used krylon. I plan on painting my new AR-15 OD green with something more durable, like duracoat. Then add the camo pattern w/ krylon.

Damn those are nice!

AK-J
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Nice looking green/black there. Sometimes simple is the best.

Hey... some of you other guys post some pics of your homegrown camo paint. Gimme some ideas...

Thanks, it's actually a really dark matte brown. It becomes really hard to see after about 10yds in any environment around here, and is especially hard to see in the woods and fields. Breaks up the lines really well.

My advice is to keep the pattern simple. All you're really trying to do is break up the lines and outline of the rifle. It doesn't require anything fancy.

Schuetzenman
05-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I've camoed AK and FAL rifles. Also did my M1A Springfield. Never done an AR15. Not sure how well the stuff would stick. I've always used Gun Kote bake on products. Probably DuraCoat because it doesn't cure would be the average man's best bet for a durable finish. It does come in a ton of colors.

Classic US Woodland camo is made up of 4 colors; a Leaf green, light olive drab, medium brown and black.