PDA

View Full Version : Mad Man Cleans his brass

old Grump
05-05-2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq1hXr3iZ48&feature=player_detailpage

Schuetzenman
05-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Ok that's just stupid! A simple brass polisher can be had for about 50 bucks and this guy has a couple thousand in electroincs to create a half assed version of a brass polisher. What was in that Folgers can isn't getting polished, no media, no circulation of brass and media to do the actual polishing.

Helen Keller
05-06-2011, 06:13 AM
Fucking Folgers???????????????????????????

asshole!

Schuetzenman
05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Fucking Folgers???????????????????????????

asshole!

Right on brother ... everybody knows Maxwell House is da bomb!

O.S.O.K.
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM
:lool:

Thumler's Tumbler. I got one for Christmas :)

romak10/63UF
05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
That is a kenwood car amp capable of only 200 watts rms...
That is a 15" subwoofer capable of 500 watts rms....

He would need a bigger amp to power that subwoofer to be able to get the brass to move... I should know i was a Audio Car tech " for many years... to say the least I have installed over 100's of car stereos amps subwoofers etc...

Richard Simmons
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
:lool:

Thumler's Tumbler. I got one for Christmas :)

I've had one of those for over twenty years. It finally gave out last year, it just wouldn't stay running. Start, stop, sit for 20 minutes or so then kick back on for a few minutes. Not sure what the problem is but since I have a large Midway I just retired it. Didn't toss it in case I ever figure out what's wrong and can fix it.

FunkyPertwee
05-06-2011, 01:06 PM
That is a kenwood car amp capable of only 200 watts rms...
That is a 15" subwoofer capable of 500 watts rms....

He would need a bigger amp to power that subwoofer to be able to get the brass to move... I should know i was a Audio Car tech " for many years... to say the least I have installed over 100's of car stereos amps subwoofers etc...

My old car stereos could do. I used to have Camaro I set it up in. 1200 watt sony amp with two 500 watt 15"s in a full range box (old school). My later version was the same amp but with two 600 watt 12" subs in a huge bandpass box. The bass in that little Camaro was ridiculous. The whole care was pretty much a gas powered sub-woofer. I don't need anything like that anymore.

ATAK, Inc.
05-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Can you tumble complete cartridges? I have 300+ of x54r that got a little(lots) of moisture, and using steel wool on each one sucks!

Richard Simmons
05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Can you tumble complete cartridges? I have 300+ of x54r that got a little(lots) of moisture, and using steel wool on each one sucks!

I've done it with Turk 8mm and some tarnished reloads. I've heard you can run the risk of a bullet tip hitting a primer on another cartridge but haven't heard of it acutally happening. I've also read that you can break down the powder charge which could have a detrimental effect upon firing but again, haven't seen that one proven either.

IIRC someone on a forum actually tumbled some ammo then pulled it apart to inspect the powder and found no change. Some commerical outfits buy surplus ammo and put it in cement mixers with a bunch of media and tumble them before reselling. Southern Ammo comes to mind as one that does or did that at one time and I've shot tons of the 7.62x51 that they used to sell ($100 for 1000rds delivered, those were the days) and never had problem one.

ATAK, Inc.
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I've done it with Turk 8mm and some tarnished reloads. I've heard you can run the risk of a bullet tip hitting a primer on another cartridge but haven't heard of it acutally happening. I've also read that you can break down the powder charge which could have a detrimental effect upon firing but again, haven't seen that one proven either.

IIRC someone on a forum actually tumbled some ammo then pulled it apart to inspect the powder and found no change. Some commerical outfits buy surplus ammo and put it in cement mixers with a bunch of media and tumble them before reselling. Southern Ammo comes to mind as one that does or did that at one time and I've shot tons of the 7.62x51 that they used to sell ($100 for 1000rds delivered, those were the days) and never had problem one.

Thanks for the info Richard! Now I need to find a tumbler:lool:

Schuetzenman
05-07-2011, 01:03 AM
All depends on how long it's tumbled and if the powder is loose in the case. A compressed load can't vibrate to break the granuals down. I commonly run my ammo for 15 minutes in my vibratory polisher to get the sizing lube off the cases. Wiping them by hand sucks, the polisher takes care of that.

Southern Ammo I seem to recall had some ammo that like to blow up. The cause was attributed to them polishing heavily corroded cases for too long and it was thought they had broken the granuals of powder down which increased their burn rate to dangerous pressure levels. Speaking of them are they still around? Just checked they are still there but they don't have much for sale.