PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 Muzzle Brake Question

RTBArms1603
05-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I am having trouble getting the Type 1 Muzzle Break off an InterArms Romanian AIM-G AK 47. The stud on the front sight tower will not depress far enough to let the brake rotate. The brake is loose, not seized, and I have soaked, and am soaking the stud with BreakFree.
Any suggestions?

RTBArms1603

deth502
05-07-2011, 03:26 PM
id try tapping it in with a hammer.

note the use of the word "tap" and not "pound"

RTBArms1603
05-07-2011, 03:29 PM
id try tapping it in with a hammer.

note the use of the word "tap" and not "pound"

Thanks for the reply.
Forgot to mention, I already tried "tapping" it with a flat Punch. It did recess futher, but not enough.
RTBArms1603

FunkyPertwee
05-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Dremel off the tip of the plunger to shorten it? Just don't cut the whole thing off.

Krupski
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Forgot to mention, I already tried "tapping" it with a flat Punch. It did recess futher, but not enough.
RTBArms1603

I would use a propane torch and WARM (carefully) the front sight block. There may be dried grease or cosmoline in the plunger pin hole. If you warm it up (just to the point that it's uncomfortable to touch), then carefully tap the pin with a punch, it may displace the goo and go in further, allowing the muzzle device to turn freely.

Do NOT get the metal too hot, or you could ruin the heat treat. Just 180 to 200 degrees F is enough.

RTBArms1603
05-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I would use a propane torch and WARM (carefully) the front sight block. There may be dried grease or cosmoline in the plunger pin hole. If you warm it up (just to the point that it's uncomfortable to touch), then carefully tap the pin with a punch, it may displace the goo and go in further, allowing the muzzle device to turn freely.

Do NOT get the metal too hot, or you could ruin the heat treat. Just 180 to 200 degrees F is enough.

Great idea!
How about a blow dryer? Just to be safe.
What temp does cosmoline melt at?
RTBArms1603

Krupski
05-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Great idea!
How about a blow dryer? Just to be safe.
What temp does cosmoline melt at?
RTBArms1603

A hair drier probably won't do it. Use a propane torch. Don't blast the metal though... wave the flame back and forth over the metal and warm it slowly. Have a glass of water handy and every minute or so use a wet finger and touch the metal. As soon as a drop boils, that's hot enough. DO NOT OVERHEAT IT!

When you're done, let the rifle air cool... DO NOT use water to cool it off.

(edit to add): Of course, check the rifle and be sure it's unloaded and that the chamber is empty before starting work on it!

O.S.O.K.
05-08-2011, 02:24 PM
If the heating doesn't work then I'd also recomend grinding a bit off of the end. You don't need that much protruding to hold the brake...