PDA

View Full Version : AR builder questions.

AKTexas
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Can the upper assembly be swapped for a different assembly by simply removing the barrel and installing it in the new upper?

Klawndyke
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
you can on some by just switching out uppers.. Say you want a heavy barrel and have an m4.. you can switch out the uppers. the same goes for some diffrent calibers.. not all will work like a 308 wont work on a 223. but a 458 socom will..
for the price i would just replace uppers. you will need a diffrent bolt and barrel for each caliber..

hope this helps

what were you thinking about for the new upper ?

AKTexas
05-10-2011, 03:59 PM
you can on some by just switching out uppers.. Say you want a heavy barrel and have an m4.. you can switch out the uppers. the same goes for some diffrent calibers.. not all will work like a 308 wont work on a 223. but a 458 socom will..
for the price i would just replace uppers. you will need a diffrent bolt and barrel for each caliber..

hope this helps

what were you thinking about for the new upper ?

Was looking at a Bushmaster that has an A2 upper and was considering switching the upper out for a flat top.

imanaknut
05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Personally I would just buy a new upper.

Barrel swapping is a pain when you consider how easy it is to push two pins, and swap uppers. Head space is not a problem in an are because of how the upper is assembled. You wouldn't even need two carrier assemblies if you wanted to save money, but having a dedicated carrier with each upper just makes things easier.

Klawndyke
05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I have switched out upper recievers before.. its easy if you have all the tools... if your getting into building AR's then invest into the tools. but if you are just going to do this once just buy an upper with out bolt, bolt carrier group and charging handle. they run around 300 for an upper.. then sell off your old one.. buy the time your done i bet your new setup will only cost you 75 bucks or so..

Edit
I should say the avarage upper with out bolt and stuff run around 300 to 350

Schuetzenman
05-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Was looking at a Bushmaster that has an A2 upper and was considering switching the upper out for a flat top.

The answer is yes, you can put a new upper receiver on your old barrel quite easily. Simply remove the gast tube from the front sight gas block. Use a barrel nut wrench to loosen the barrel nut that holds the barrel in the upper receiver. Unscrew it all the way and pull forward. It's that simple. Reverse order to put the barrel in the new flat top A3 type upper receiver.

AKTexas
05-10-2011, 07:32 PM
The answer is yes, you can put a new upper receiver on your old barrel quite easily. Simply remove the gast tube from the front sight gas block. Use a barrel nut wrench to loosen the barrel nut that holds the barrel in the upper receiver. Unscrew it all the way and pull forward. It's that simple. Reverse order to put the barrel in the new flat top A3 type upper receiver.

Was wanting to make sure. Thanks.

deth502
05-10-2011, 07:58 PM

you might also want to get a new gas tube if your in a hurry to get it back together. they can get carboned in there and sometimes get very hard to remove without damaging. of course, if your in no hurry, or have a local supplier to get one, id give it a go first.