PDA

View Full Version : Build A Bunker!

hawk1911
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I live in Northwest Houston (Hwy 6 and 529 if you know the spot.). Im not poor I guess but I dont have good enough credit anymore to buy another property just yet. How practical do you guys think it is to build a bunker in my back yard?

I don't have any lack of confidence that I can do most of the work my self, the main problems that I think I would have is. 1 avoid any issues with the HOA, I will tell them Im building a pool then after Im done I will say I changed my mind ;).

2nd would be the neighbors peeking over the fence and seeing it which I would obviously would like it to be as hush hush as possible.

What do you guys think? It may seem like overkill at first but if you really think about it its not really that big a deal. People make similar contruction just to hold their wine collections, this one would just be mainly for my peace of mind unless something does hit the fan and then Im poised to win in the post apocolipse!

ubersoldate
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I would love to do it myself as well.
Mine wouldnt be so much a bunker as a underground gun room!

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I would love to do it myself as well.
Mine wouldnt be so much a bunker as a underground gun room!

Burt Gummer style?

Moebrown20
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I have the room & the know-how for it, just not the money.
I even thought of buying one of those large shipping containers off of ebay and putting it underground.

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I have the room & the know-how for it, just not the money.
I even thought of buying one of those large shipping containers off of ebay and putting it underground.

Those are fairly cheap considering what you are getting.A backhoe would make burying very easy.

hawk1911
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I think I will be making the effort to see if I can make this thing a reality may be around next spring. It will be good working weather and I should be able to finalize the research and come up with an actual finalized plan.

I have been considering a shipping container would make everything much faster and I think its pretty strong, I was thinking of putting at least 5 feet of packed earth on top so I guess I just wander if it is structurely capable. I would think so since they are stacked one on top of another on the boats.

Anyone have diagrams, plans, or just some advise that can help chime in I would greatly appriciate it.

L1A1Rocker
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't say it's a pool and that "I changed my mind". I'd be up front about it. "I'm putting in a basement for tornado protection".

Moebrown20
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Well for about 2 grand, I could get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ft-storage-shipping-container-containers-New-Jersey-/310237458072?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b97ee98

Then another 2 grand to bury it, add some air vents, power, back-ups & oxygen generators/concentrators.

HDR
08-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Don't let pictures of concrete WWII bunkers fool you; a hole with a roof made of a few layers of logs works quite well. Ask any Vietnam Vet.

It will not stop a delayed fuse bomb; however, as we've saw in Iraq films neither will the concrete ones.

Moebrown20
08-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't let pictures of concrete WWII bunkers fool you; a hole with a roof made of a few layers of logs works quite well. Ask any Vietnam Vet.

It will not stop a delayed fuse bomb; however, as we've saw in Iraq films neither will the concrete ones.

I do have plenty of logs......

I need it to be a bit more secure than that though.
I have to design one that has at least 3 rooms.

abpt1
08-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Well for about 2 grand, I could get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ft-storage-shipping-container-containers-New-Jersey-/310237458072?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b97ee98

Then another 2 grand to bury it, add some air vents, power, back-ups & oxygen generators/concentrators.
I need to buy a lot up north then I am going to buy one of them deals !

Mac_Muz
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
If you can build it with a pool and have that as water. What ends up underground can be the filtration system so far as nosey neighbors are concerned. A little more concrete as maybe 12x14 as a room might not add a lot more cost to a lot of water.

I am far from familar with the area, but decent water seems like a concern.

I am a big fan of hiding things in plain sight.

O.S.O.K.
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
A bunker... I'v never realy considered that per se. I did have a tornado shelter built into my last house- used a septic tank and had it burried under the foundation in the master bedroom closet. Had a big hatch that you opened to access it.

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I bought one and then found out there was a zoning issue. The county said I could have 1 20 footer per property. and even though I have two adjoining properties, they would only allow me to have 2 20 footers and not a 40 footer. I had to sell it. :thud:

ubersoldate
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I bought one and then found out there was a zoning issue. The county said I could have 1 20 footer per property. and even though I have two adjoining properties, they would only allow me to have 2 20 footers and not a 40 footer. I had to sell it. :thud:

You sold that one?
I wish I could get one....Dang zoning....

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
You sold that one?
I wish I could get one....Dang zoning....

Yip
I had the foundations for the corners pored and everything. I wound up selling it to that company that picked it up. I tried to trade them for one of there 20 footers but they wanted way too much money on top of the 40 footer.
I sure wish it would have worked out. that thing would have been perfect for storage.

old Grump
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Steel or concrete your choice, limit is room available to put it in and pocket book.

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/concrete.html

I have been wanting to do the same in my yard for the last 3 years but things keep happening, hopefully it will happen before we get hit by a tornado.

hawk1911
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't say it's a pool and that "I changed my mind". I'd be up front about it. "I'm putting in a basement for tornado protection".

You are correct I shouldnt lie, directly anyway, I will have to say Hurricane thought its a little more likely in Houston.

As far as water I was thinking of digging the big hole first and then digging a well basically under what would be the burried container and then I can have a protected and self replenishing source that isnt dependant on rain.

Moebrown20
08-04-2010, 09:06 PM

the lot next to me is going up for a tax sale soon.

old Grump
08-04-2010, 09:07 PM
As far as water I was thinking of digging the big hole first and then digging a well basically under what would be the burried container and then I can have a protected and self replenishing source that isnt dependant on rain. Good thinking if you live in a place where there aren't any restrictions on drilling. I live in the woods so no problem with me and my water is fairly shallow so I could punch a well down by hand if I had to but if you are in a municipality serviced by a city water system they may not let you dig a new well.

Moebrown20
08-04-2010, 09:08 PM

my plan it to bury it.

hawk1911
08-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Good thinking if you live in a place where there aren't any restrictions on drilling. I live in the woods so no problem with me and my water is fairly shallow so I could punch a well down by hand if I had to but if you are in a municipality serviced by a city water system they may not let you dig a new well.

I think that my main problem is that Im going to be restricted by so many things that I may not get exactly what I really want.

I think there is something in the HOA restrictions about have a well dug.

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 09:41 PM
my plan it to bury it.
They would work great for that. But you would want to cover the top with logs or some other type of support. They are designed to handle a lot of weight. but only on the corners. The center would smash like a beer can.

Moebrown20
08-05-2010, 10:04 AM
They would work great for that. But you would want to cover the top with logs or some other type of support. They are designed to handle a lot of weight. but only on the corners. The center would smash like a beer can.

yeah, they look like they would.
I might get 2 so I could use one as a small test range.

Blacksmith
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah, they look like they would.
I might get 2 so I could use one as a small test range.
After I sold that 40 footer I was thinking about getting two 20’s, burying one and stacking the other on top of it. then it would be just a mater of building a staircase. They are easy to set up. you just have to poor a good concrete foundation for each corner. the center is self supporting.

Moebrown20
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Hmmm........ they're about 8 and a half feet wide & hide.
I didn't even think about stacking them. I thought about having them side by side and placing a workshop or garage on top so no one would notice.

ATAK, Inc.
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Wish I had buried a container under my shop, but oh well!

If you plan on burying one of these, make sure to seal the outside to prevent corrosion.

El Jefe
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Wish I had buried a container under my shop, but oh well!

If you plan on burying one of these, make sure to seal the outside to prevent corrosion.

That's a good point, it would suck if a few years down the road it started to rust through.

hawk1911
08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
That's a good point, it would suck if a few years down the road it started to rust through.

Thats what has me debating the container and building from cinder block (CMD). That and the fact that it would be a dead give away for the looky lues when the crane holding a big box over my back yard that something is up.

El Laton Caliente
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
The most likely reason for being in the thing around Houston is a hurrican and I would check your elevation. It is likely to flood being underground... A force 5 hurrican can put 20' of surge tide into downtown Houston according to the models.

El Jefe
08-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Thats what has me debating the container and building from cinder block (CMD). That and the fact that it would be a dead give away for the looky lues when the crane holding a big box over my back yard that something is up.

Where you at Hawk? What's the ground water level at in your yard?

hawk1911
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Per the TSARP map that I just looked at Im in Zone x (area of lowest risk) but only about a block or two away from a 0.2% floodplain (500 year ).

El Jefe
08-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Per the TSARP map that I just looked at Im in Zone x (area of lowest risk) but only about a block or two away from a 0.2% floodplain (500 year ).

Sounds like you'll be okay, but when you dig the hole if it fills up with water you know you have an issue. :)

ATAK, Inc.
08-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you'll be okay, but when you dig the hole if it fills up with water you know you have an issue. :)

No issue, just instant swimming pool!!!

No matter what you plan on putting in the earth, gotta make sure it is well sealed to the soil, proper sump, etc, etc... Would need to make a pent roof on top of a container, the flat would buckle under a soil load, make a foam core and concrete on top of that.

HDR
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Bunkers are great for natural disasters; however, if your plans include 'shtf" you better plan on fighting positions to protect the bunker. Or someone outside will be able to easily convince you to join them.

hawk1911
08-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Bunkers are great for natural disasters; however, if your plans include 'shtf" you better plan on fighting positions to protect the bunker. Or someone outside will be able to easily convince you to join them.

Im cooking the thoughts on how to conceal the external parts to avoid detection in a SHTF. In that type of situation the plan is for the room in the ground is to keep me and mine safe just long enough to execute the escape to a less populated area. I still have fresh in my mind the nightmare of being stuck for 8 hrs on I-10 during the mass evacutaion during Rita. That is something that I will never fall for again. This way I figure I can hold out on my own enough to see what the sheople do and whatever the threat that is causing the SHTF and adjust acordingly.

HDR
08-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Im cooking the thoughts on how to conceal the external parts to avoid detection in a SHTF. In that type of situation the plan is for the room in the ground is to keep me and mine safe just long enough to execute the escape to a less populated area. I still have fresh in my mind the nightmare of being stuck for 8 hrs on I-10 during the mass evacutaion during Rita. That is something that I will never fall for again. This way I figure I can hold out on my own enough to see what the sheople do and whatever the threat that is causing the SHTF and adjust acordingly.

I live in a forested area so I could bury a conex container in the woods and any sign of it would vanish quickly. However there would be noticeable things also. Although the vents would get overgrown; however, the trail to it would stick out. Cooking smells are noticed also.
However, for a hurricane, tornado etc type event a bunker would be a good thing to have.. As hurricanes usually bring a lot of rain I'd consider how to keep it from being flooded also.
AFA the unlikely SHTF events; a bunker's value would depend on if anyone finds it. If found a buried container with one entrance and no firing slits isn't a good thing.

As there isn't anything here I live so I can stay in the house and adjust accordingly.

HDR
08-07-2010, 04:18 PM
A (new lol) septic tank might be better than a Conex container.

Moebrown20
08-07-2010, 05:13 PM
A (new lol) septic tank might be better than a Conex container.

you have a point there. I'll have to look into that.

Richard Simmons
08-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Was reading a post about bunkers the other day, don't recall where but the idea of using a steel corrugated culvert was brought up. A 6' or 8' diameter culver is fairly cheap. IIRC the thread had a link to a company in Utah or maybe Nevada that makes the and ships to your site. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is.

http://utahsheltersystems.com/office_faq.php

Prometheus168
08-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Part of the problem you are going to have near Houston is a very high water table.. Same issue I have up here in Robertson County. You would be better off finding a few acres away from the city that you can build a fall back retreat on....

Rusty

AKTexas
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Part of the problem you are going to have near Houston is a very high water table.. Same issue I have up here in Robertson County. You would be better off finding a few acres away from the city that you can build a fall back retreat on....

Rusty

I like that idea.

Moebrown20
08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Here it is.

http://utahsheltersystems.com/office_faq.php

42 grand for the smallest one.
Their setup does have promise.

HDR
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
you have a point there. I'll have to look into that.

It was someone else's idea. It would be a lot easier to waterproof concrete and rust isn't an issue.

Moebrown20
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
It was someone else's idea. It would be a lot easier to waterproof concrete and rust isn't an issue.

I'm in the mountain area and most of my soil is full of stones/boulders.
It would be awhile just for me to dig out an area. Rust isn't a big concern, pricing is.
I have O2 supplies, just working on a septic design and water storage.

Batwing
08-07-2010, 08:19 PM

thats sucks,I have 52 acres in zoned AG farmland so pretty much anything goes,if I had a backhoe or excavator for about 2 days I could get one buried any no one would even know,maybe my neighbors,but then theyd be copying the idea so no worry,,maybe out here somewhere,
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/Boris859/05040161.jpg

Broondog
08-08-2010, 12:19 AM
i already live in a bunker of sorts. the bulk of my house is buried with only the roof and the front rise being exposed. think of it as a big walk out basement. with all of the entry doors (3) on the front of the house 2 of them could be easily watched by one person. one of the major drawbacks though is that there is no "back way out" but i suppose i could make one thru one of the rear skylights. in fact i guess i could even turn one of those skylights into an armored turret of sorts for those zombies that want to sneak up on the back of the house!

the 100+ yard clear field of fire out the front makes that way of entry a bit challenging too. i guess a couple of RPG's thru the front door would make for a bad day but all in all it's not bad. 70+ miles to the south as the crow flies from the nearest metropolitan area, halfway down the south side of a ridge makes for being able to easily survive any nuclear/chemical/biological attack on the city....provided the weather pattern doesn't decide to shift to due south.

i didn't build it but i did pick it for specific reasons when i bought it.

HDR
08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm in the mountain area and most of my soil is full of stones/boulders.
It would be awhile just for me to dig out an area. Rust isn't a big concern, pricing is.
I have O2 supplies, just working on a septic design and water storage.

Same here; however it is just as much of a problem to bury a conex container.

i already live in a bunker of sorts. the bulk of my house is buried with only the roof and the front rise being exposed. think of it as a big walk out basement.

i didn't build it but i did pick it for specific reasons when i bought it.

You also save a tidy sum on heating and cooling your home.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

hawk1911
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM

True I remember having done this once very effectively coating the surface with fiberglass resin, soated in a bit since concrete is kinda porus and never had another problem with it. I see on all these home inprovement shows that have a damp basement that they make products specifically for this maybe better/cheaper/less stinky than the resin. Since I can also apply to the outer wall since I will have the open hole I dont think it should be too big of an issue to ensure that water doesnt become an issue. Just in case have the back up pump ready though.

thats sucks,I have 52 acres in zoned AG farmland so pretty much anything goes,if I had a backhoe or excavator for about 2 days I could get one buried any no one would even know,maybe my neighbors,but then theyd be copying the idea so no worry,,maybe out here somewhere,
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/Boris859/05040161.jpg

I wish I had some land. It would make this project alot easier, never the less doesnt mean I cant have both! One here on there makes for some options ;)

abpt1
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
the lot next to me is going up for a tax sale soon.
yeah what does something like that go for ?

Blacksmith
08-08-2010, 11:37 AM
[IMG]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o197/Boris859/05040161.jpg
I’m in the mountains myself. the one 20 footer per property is a Yavapai county thing.
There is a way to get around it, but it was not that important to me. this is literally my back yard. :)
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/Blacksmith66/DSC02159-1.jpg

Paradox
08-08-2010, 12:36 PM
My basement is secure with a hidden door behind a bookcase on rollers. From outside it doesn't look like the house has a basement. I have a camera set up so I can watch the upstairs while I'm in the basement.

If I see an intruder I figure I'll shoot up through the floor.

My next project is to build a small tunnel from the basement to a hidden escape hatch in the woods behind my house.

Wouldn't want to be caught in the basement if someone decides to torch the house.

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm some kind of nut case, just trying to be prepared.

HDR
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
True I remember having done this once very effectively coating the surface with fiberglass resin, soated in a bit since concrete is kinda porus and never had another problem with it. I see on all these home inprovement shows that have a damp basement that they make products specifically for this maybe better/cheaper/less stinky than the resin. Since I can also apply to the outer wall since I will have the open hole I dont think it should be too big of an issue to ensure that water doesnt become an issue. Just in case have the back up pump ready though.

There are a variety of products that will seal concrete; even ones that are painted on and a lot less stinky than resin. ;)

What is available locally would have a big effect on cost. However, if I lived in tornado or country I'd find a way to build something suitable.

old Grump
08-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Contact Portland Cement Association

http://www.cement.org/

They have a huge library of texts and manuals and catalogs of their products like Hycrete which is water resistant. They can also point you in the direction of people who do the kind of work in your area. Whether you pour in place, spray on forms or build with slabs they have the means to make you a nice tight nearly indestructible shelter.

With a proper drainage in place before you back fill flooding from ground water should never be a problem.

Moebrown20
08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah what does something like that go for ?
The taxes owed is about 700. So that would be the starting price at the auction.
A guy across from me paid 37k for his lot. wow

Broondog
08-08-2010, 11:51 PM
You also save a tidy sum on heating and cooling your home.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

well, yes and no. think about how your basement feels year round. it's always cooler than the upper levels. so yeah, in the summer my electric drops way down due to the ease of cooling and jumps up in the winter due to the difficulty of trying to heat a "basement". yeah, it's an all electric home. i only use the "air" from mid July to late August.

there is one other bonus to this house. the guy who built it made it as his retirement home so since most old folks don't walk so well there is not one single stair in the entire house....not even at an entryway. oh and i figure the bathroom was intended to have "chair" access. i could put my full size recliner in there and open it all the way up and not hit a damned thing!

swampdragon
08-09-2010, 02:20 AM
well, yes and no. think about how your basement feels year round. it's always cooler than the upper levels. so yeah, in the summer my electric drops way down due to the ease of cooling and jumps up in the winter due to the difficulty of trying to heat a "basement". yeah, it's an all electric home. i only use the "air" from mid July to late August.

there is one other bonus to this house. the guy who built it made it as his retirement home so since most old folks don't walk so well there is not one single stair in the entire house....not even at an entryway. oh and i figure the bathroom was intended to have "chair" access. i could put my full size recliner in there and open it all the way up and not hit a damned thing!

Old age and stairs.
Yep.
I've been thinking about that type of stuff too lately.
I've got a ways to go still before it would matter, but once I get there, I'd not want to be looking back at what I "should" have done.
Excellent point....

El Jefe
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Rusty

This!

If it ever does implode, the last place you want to be is in the f'ing city. Now that I have the wifes blessing I'm looking for a fairly remote acerage in southern Missouri. Hopefully I can get it aquired and get a cabin built before anything happens.

Broondog
08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
This!

If it ever does implode, the last place you want to be is in the f'ing city. Now that I have the wifes blessing I'm looking for a fairly remote acerage in southern Missouri. Hopefully I can get it aquired and get a cabin built before anything happens.

there's lots of land around these parts. some "improved", some not. and not real far from Jeff City.

El Jefe
08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
there's lots of land around these parts. some "improved", some not. and not real far from Jeff City.

Broony, how far from St Louis are you?

Broondog
08-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Broony, how far from St Louis are you?

i'm about 60 miles south of the metro. there's acreage down here for sale and the taxes are cheap. do a search in Sainte Genevieve or Saint Francois counties if'n you are interested.

i know there is a fair sized parcel just down the road that has been for sale for quite some time.

El Jefe
08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
i'm about 60 miles south of the metro. there's acreage down here for sale and the taxes are cheap. do a search in Sainte Genevieve or Saint Francois counties if'n you are interested.

i know there is a fair sized parcel just down the road that has been for sale for quite some time.

Well I'm only looking for 20 to 30 acres.

Say, how far are you from Memphis? I could look it up but I'm lazy right now, plus I'm building my post count. :)

L1A1Rocker
08-10-2010, 10:35 PM

That's how my folks did their retirement house. Extra wide interior doors and no stepps. Had to have a five foot tall foundation at one end of the house but there are no stairs. They did come in with a lot of fill dirt after it was built. There just is not a whole lot of level ground in the TX hill country.

Broondog
08-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Well I'm only looking for 20 to 30 acres.

Say, how far are you from Memphis? I could look it up but I'm lazy right now, plus I'm building my post count. :)

Memphis? oh that's just down the road a piece. :D

JTHunter
08-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Broondog - if you're down that way, there's a place that might make a good temporary shelter. Has running water (not sure how safe), limited access, good southeasterly view. It's called "Cave Winery".
:jump:

Lysander
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I live in a forested area so I could bury a conex container in the woods and any sign of it would vanish quickly. However there would be noticeable things also. Although the vents would get overgrown; however, the trail to it would stick out. Cooking smells are noticed also.
However, for a hurricane, tornado etc type event a bunker would be a good thing to have.. As hurricanes usually bring a lot of rain I'd consider how to keep it from being flooded also.
AFA the unlikely SHTF events; a bunker's value would depend on if anyone finds it. If found a buried container with one entrance and no firing slits isn't a good thing.

As there isn't anything here I live so I can stay in the house and adjust accordingly.

I think in the end a lot of folks will have to take a 2 pronged approach.

1) Secure "bunker" for natural disasters.

2) BOL with fighting positions (though I would argue the best first line of defense is not being noticeable). Then underneath that, a "safe room" with a crawl space leading to an area where you can evac away from the main structure.

For us city dwellers, bugging out really isn't an option. Rush hour in any sizeable town is a miserable experience. It's even worse when you multiply that by 100, which is what any bug out situation would be like, if not worse. So my idea would be to bug in until the initial storm passed, then evac if and when necessary to your secondary location.

old Grump
08-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Normal traffic Friday night or Sunday night going out of and into Chicago for 20 years is more than enough preknowledge to know what it would be like if the whole city tried to leave. Figure 3 days worth of complete and total deadlock before people abandoned their vehicles and either headed out on foot or tried to make it back home which is where they should have gone first. If your block isn't on fire then it would be best to use the time to plan what you need and how you are going to get out of there. I'd sit tight for a week at least if I could then come out with what I needed for traveling. Biggest thing is to secure your bug out vehicle and fuel supply during that wait out time.

Now that I'm a bit slower and older I'm glad I am already where I want to be.

Broondog
08-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Now that I'm a bit slower and older I'm glad I am already where I want to be.

+1000 to this! i'm not that old but i am damn sure glad i'm not in the city anymore. i don't even feel right when i'm there anymore. too much chaos and idiocy for me. i prefer the slower pace of the countryside now.

Infidelski
08-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I have been considering a shipping container would make everything much faster and I think its pretty strong, I was thinking of putting at least 5 feet of packed earth on top so I guess I just wander if it is structurely capable..

Not to confident in the structural ability of the roof of a shipping container, was up on top rigging a NEW 40' container this past week, roof was flimsy at best, lots of bounce walking on it, a good jump may dent it. Floors, walls and near watertight features are good..

hawk1911
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Not to confident in the structural ability of the roof of a shipping container, was up on top rigging a NEW 40' container this past week, roof was flimsy at best, lots of bounce walking on it, a good jump may dent it. Floors, walls and near watertight features are good..

Yeah, the more I think , the more Im moving away from the container, Im thinking more about either slab base and roof and block walls, or pouring the walls as well in molds. Stronger, thicker and wont rust. Just have to worry about making water proof.

swampdragon
08-22-2010, 03:17 AM
Memphis? oh that's just down the road a piece. :D

LOL.....

Down the road like in a whole other state.

HDR
08-22-2010, 06:00 AM
I think in the end a lot of folks will have to take a 2 pronged approach.

True, apply more pressure points to already limited assets.

1) Secure "bunker" for natural disasters.

2) BOL with fighting positions (though I would argue the best first line of defense is not being noticeable). Then underneath that, a "safe room" with a crawl space leading to an area where you can evac away from the main structure.

If it would happen and if it lasted because of the need to grow food everyone would be noticeable or nomadic. If a group is growing food, the harvest will need stored and so will everything else. If you aren't a nomadic guerrilla warrior, you will be growing food to survive and whatever you grow will be stored as your means of survival which means you must protect it.

There are too many "it depends" with this subject so it would take a book to have a reasonably informative discussion. For example of "it depends;" hiding works if you aren't found; but if you are found it makes it harder to see intruders and limits fields of fire. If your fighting positions aren't close enough to your bunker/storage area to protect it; the bad guys get what they came for without a fight.
IMO, if a group grows food, has a source of water, some chickens and a herd of goats; in time they will be forced to dig fighting positions surrounding their treasure to protect it from the hungry nomadic guerrilla warriors.
lol

For us city dwellers, bugging out really isn't an option. Rush hour in any sizeable town is a miserable experience. It's even worse when you multiply that by 100, which is what any bug out situation would be like, if not worse. So my idea would be to bug in until the initial storm passed, then evac if and when necessary to your secondary location.

What and where is the destination for all those city dwellers bugging out? As there will millions of displaced people I can see a world where people will find others already occupying their secondary locations.. So now what?

All of those sort of thoughts starts reminding me of Mad Max movies. ;)

hawk1911
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
You are right on the money HDR, there are so many if/thens that it boggles the mind and feels a bit overwheelming. It would take years and tons of money and time for one to have a multipoint plan setup. I have only really started thinking and acting since 2005 after seeing the Katrina incident go down. But a start is a start and I know that what I have thus far is better then finding myself in front of the super dome.

Broondog
08-23-2010, 02:35 AM
LOL.....

Down the road like in a whole other state.

when the grocery store is 30 miles away, "down the road a piece" really is another state. what's a couple o' hundred miles anyway? i do half that just to go to a gun show.

skorpion
08-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I think I will be making the effort to see if I can make this thing a reality may be around next spring. It will be good working weather and I should be able to finalize the research and come up with an actual finalized plan.

I have been considering a shipping container would make everything much faster and I think its pretty strong, I was thinking of putting at least 5 feet of packed earth on top so I guess I just wander if it is structurely capable. I would think so since they are stacked one on top of another on the boats.

Anyone have diagrams, plans, or just some advise that can help chime in I would greatly appriciate it.
One thing to realize with shipping containers is that when they are stacked, the four corners are what support the weight of the shipping container above, not the actual "roof". Depending on how much and what kind of material will be covering the roof, you may or may not need extra structural support in the center of the container. The only other things I'd be concerned about with shipping comntainers is rust prevention and ventilation.

Lysander
08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
True, apply more pressure points to already limited assets.

All of those sort of thoughts starts reminding me of Mad Max movies. ;)

Well, what would you do?

You can shoot holes in everyone else's ideas, but if you don't have a better working plan, then we're all equally fucked.

HDR
08-23-2010, 07:59 PM
You are correct I shouldnt lie, directly anyway, I will have to say Hurricane thought its a little more likely in Houston.

Tornadoes?

How about a root cellar? :biggrina: