PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a gun??

windowlicker
08-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I need to have a 3000$ shotgun and a 22 rifle from a another State shipped to me? From my understanding i have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer?? Some of the dealers seem shady, fly by night companies, I have never shipped or had a gun shipped to me? I have no clue what needs to be done? . :willynilly:

Do the dealers have to keep a record that you received a gun? I think there suppose to keep a record if you buy a gun? just don't want a new Orleans thing happen here when that that major hurricane stuck them.. when they took everyone guns..

gewehr44
08-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Yes, it needs to be shipped to an FFL dealer in your state. If you haven't established a relationship with a reliable dealer near you, ask some other firearm owning friends for some recommendations. You will have to fill out a federal 4473 form & anything additional your state might require. The dealer will charge a transfer fee which typically runs from $20-$50 depending on where you live.

Gunbroker Firearms Shipping Guide (http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118)

Gunbroker.com - FFL Dealer Network (http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx)

By federal law, dealers must maintain a record of all their 4473 forms for at least 20 years (IIRC). Some states have additional requirements as well.

l921428x
08-04-2010, 03:43 AM
You can also use a reputable gun store or dealer.

windowlicker
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

"Director John Milius portrayed his concerns over the Form 4473 in his film Red Dawn, where it is specifically mentioned as being used by an invading Soviet army to track down civilians who own guns." or china, or who ever... we could be in world war 3 in 20 years...

20 years? Looks like i am going to on a 600 mile trip...

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

"Director John Milius portrayed his concerns over the Form 4473 in his film Red Dawn, where it is specifically mentioned as being used by an invading Soviet army to track down civilians who own guns." or china, or who ever... we could be in world war 3 in 20 years...

You’re on a public board on a site dedicated to gun owners and you are worried about your local FFL keeping records?:conf44:

BTW
In most states it is illegal to sell a firearm to an out of State residence. So unless you already own that firearm, you might find yourself more worried about getting out of jail than your red dawn scenario.

El Laton Caliente
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
You’re on a public board on a site dedicated to gun owners and you are worried about your local FFL keeping records?:conf44:

BTW
In most states it is illegal to sell a firearm to an out of State residence. So unless you already own that firearm, you might find yourself more worried about getting out of jail than your red dawn scenario.

I'm a Texas resident and I've bought guns legally in 7+ other states...

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm a Texas resident and I've bought guns legally in 7+ other states...
I’m not familiar with Texas laws. But I know in AZ it is illegal to sell to an out of state resident.
I was not even able to buy a receiver directly from one of the gun show vendors because he was from out of state. He could only ship it to my FFL so I bought it from a local dealer instead.

AKTexas
08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I’m not familiar with Texas laws. But I know in AZ it is illegal to sell to an out of state resident.
I was not even able to buy a receiver directly from one of the gun show vendors because he was from out of state. He could only ship it to my FFL so I bought it from a local dealer instead.

Dealer rules are different from non dealers.Person to person sales are legal in Texas without the FFL.As for shipping within the same state I have not gone that route.I have met in person with someone to do the sale in person.

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Dealer rules are different from non dealers.Person to person sales are legal in Texas without the FFL.As for shipping within the same state I have not gone that route.I have met in person with someone to do the sale in person.

I’m not sure if Arizonians can ship them inside the state. But if I sold you a rifle and you drove out here and picked it up, It would be illegal. even if we went to an FFL. He could not give you the rifle. He would have to ship it to your FFL

Edited to add:
BTW
My first post was kind of misleading. I should have probably stated that we cannot sell it and hand it directly to an out of state resident. We can sell it to them but it must be shipped to an FFL in their state.
The OP was planning on driving across state lines and picking the weapon up in person.

AKTexas
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I’m not sure if Arizonians can ship them inside the state. But if I sold you a rifle and you drove out here and picked it up, It would be illegal. even if we went to an FFL. He could not give you the rifle. He would have to ship it to your FFL

Well that sucks.AZ has some laws that I wish Texas had and AZ needs some we have here.

Blacksmith
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Well that sucks.AZ has some laws that I wish Texas had and AZ needs some we have here.

I was thinking the border thing was part of the federal law. but after this thread I just don’t know.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will check in

Sidartha
08-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I need to have a 3000$ shotgun and a 22 rifle from a another State shipped to me? From my understanding i have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer?? Some of the dealers seem shady, fly by night companies, I have never shipped or had a gun shipped to me? I have no clue what needs to be done? . :willynilly:

Do the dealers have to keep a record that you received a gun? I think there suppose to keep a record if you buy a gun? just don't want a new Orleans thing happen here when that that major hurricane stuck them.. when they took everyone guns..

Once you find a reputable dealer I would simply insure the hell out of the package and get delivery conformation/tracking on the package.
As for finding a good FFL other than talking to locals at the range(a good idea) I would look to the large "big box" stores like Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods ect. Most have FFL dealers and might be willing to do a transfer for you.

Standard Operating Procedure for shipping a gun through the mail.
Get the Fax number of the Seller you bought the gun from.
Make an arrangement with a local dealer to transfer the gun to you for a fee.
Give the Sellers number to the Local Dealer, Dealer then sends his/her info to the Seller.
Seller ships gun to Dealer.
Dealer calls you when your gun arrives.
You fill out form 4473 at Local Dealers location.
Pay Dealer the agreed upon fee.
Wait Waiting Period if applicable.
Collect gun.
Profit

ETA; Post pictures online for our approval. ;)

gewehr44
08-05-2010, 01:54 AM

Ok, look... it's against the law for the seller to hand you the firearms even if you drive to his house. Legally, they must be shipped to a dealer in your state. Are you likely to get caught? Probably not, but let's look at it from the other side...

There are an estimated 250-300 MILLION firearms in the USA. Many have passed through multiple private transactions so any government agency would have no idea where to look for them. The 4473's that get filled out at the dealer STAY at the dealer so any government agency (I think ATF is the only authorized agency) has to go to the dealer & look through them to see who purchased what. It would be HUGELY time & people intensive work to slog thru all the 4473's at all the dealers to find the original purchasers of firearms they may not even own any longer.

Then they're going to come after someone that owns an expensive shotgun & a .22? Those of us who own scary looking firearms will be much higher on the list.

Ummm, not that I personally own any scary looking firearms. In fact, any firearms I may have purchased were lost in, uhhh, a boating accident... in deep water... off the continental shelf. Yeah, a real shame.

El Laton Caliente
08-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I was thinking the border thing was part of the federal law. but after this thread I just don’t know.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will check in

I have bought LONG GUNS in Montana, Wyoming, Indiana, Colorado, Tennesse, Oklahoma... and maybe a few more. Over the counter in a gun shop, pawn shop or gun show. There is nothing Federal against buying long guns outside your state, just handguns.

Meat-Hook
08-06-2010, 03:57 PM
when shipping guns, I recommend that you do NOT, ship them by UPS. UPS has an anti gun attitude.

UPS delivered at black powder Hawken rifle KIT, to my door. After checking it out I decided to ship it to my buddy in AZ for assembly. As soon as they heard that 3 letter word "gun", their brains went into meltdown mode. They utterly refused to ship it.

I tried convincing them it was NOT, considered a firearm under State law and was NOT, considered a firearm under Federal law. They summoned the manager.

I repeated it to him and watched him get angrier and angrier. His face started turning red and I could see the veins starting to stick out on his neck. I showed him the box with their own UPS sticker on it just hours old to my house. It ended with me leaving the store. I drove across the street and Fed Ex shipped it for me.

ever since then,.....anything gun related goes Fed Ex. Period!

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I ship all my long guns I sell via USPS, insured. They will allow shipping of long guns but ONLY a bona-fide FFL dealer can mail handguns (NOT C&R FFLs..not bona-fide). I always give the clerk a copy of the FFL of the dealer the long gun is going, and put a copy inside the box in case it gets damaged or accidentally opened.

In TN, you have to be a resident of TN for 90 days if you are from out of state. At least that's what I've been told. El Laton Caliente had a different experience, so maybe I was misinformed.
I do know you can ship a rifle or shotgun intra-state to another TN resident without going through a FFL. Although, handguns must go to a FFL.

circuits
08-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I do know you can ship a rifle or shotgun intra-state to another TN resident without going through a FFL. Although, handguns must go to a FFL.

Why, does TN have some sort of state-level pistol license scheme like New York state?

slamfire51
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Why, does TN have some sort of state-level pistol license scheme like New York state?

Nope.
Just the same procedure as any other gun. 4473 and instant background check.
Don't know why a handgun must go through a FFl. I'll try to find out.