PDA

View Full Version : SKS ID Help

binky59
05-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok, Ok..I'm an AK nut but reluctantly decided to help a friend out by buying his SKS.
It has what appears to be a tapco poly stock (used to be folding but bubba broke off the butt. It has all matching numbers otherwise and is in very good unfired condition.
Still has small deposits of cosmoline that need to be cleaned. I decided to bring it back to as close to original condition as I can.
Description:
Has a fixed 10rd box mag marked SL-4-00.000
Has notch for striper clips in the bolt carrier
Has an attached long spike bayonet (secured with threaded bolt)
Has a milled receiver and trigger guard
Long barrel (not a carbine)
Heres the ID;
On the left of the receiver starts with a rectangle with 4 numbers in it [****]
Then 3 Chinese characters and 8 digit number with a punched C after it, goes like this,
[****] ### 240005962C
on the rear left; SKS 7.62x39 made in china by Norinco CSIOWT CA
The other numbers on the bolt carrier, trigger guard, ect is; 05926
Any help IDing this as to age would help. AK's are easy compared to these rascals.
I know...pics would help....my camera won't be back until May 14th, I'll try to get some
pics up then..:think:

00RedZX-6R
05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
If it was made by norinco, it is a chinese SKS. If it has a spike bayonett, I would guess a paratrooper model (Carbine). Somebody could have put the spike bayonet on a rifle version though.

I am not sure the numbers do any good for the age. I think there are websites out there that can maybe get you close.

Richard Simmons
05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
AFAIK most Chinese Type 56 SKS have the spike bayonet. One site I found simply stated that an SKS with a rectangle is considerd a "late production" model but no specifics on what "late production" indicates as far as a year. Can you tell if the barrel is pinned?

00RedZX-6R
05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Didn't know that even the rifle versions had the spike bayonet. Learn something everyday.

raxar
05-13-2011, 03:00 PM
it has a yugoslavian SKS magazine. 240005962C is your serial number, so no need to try to hide the other numbers

binky59
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM
AFAIK most Chinese Type 56 SKS have the spike bayonet. One site I found simply stated that an SKS with a rectangle is considerd a "late production" model but no specifics on what "late production" indicates as far as a year. Can you tell if the barrel is pinned?

Haven't torn it down yet.....I'm going to do that this afternoon to clean it. It's got me stumped but I think that I can get a better idea when I
uncover the numbers inside of the rectangle. I'll check the barrel for pin or thread.
Thanks, Brian

binky59
05-14-2011, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=binky59;132404]Ok, Ok..I'm an AK nut but reluctantly decided to help a friend out by buying his SKS.
It has what appears to be a tapco poly stock (used to be folding but bubba broke off the butt. It has all matching numbers otherwise and is in very good unfired condition.
Still has small deposits of cosmoline that need to be cleaned. I decided to bring it back to as close to original condition as I can.
Description:
Has a fixed 10rd box mag marked SL-4-00.000
Has notch for striper clips in the bolt carrier
Has an attached long spike bayonet (secured with threaded bolt)
Has a milled receiver and trigger guard
Long barrel (not a carbine)
Heres the ID;
On the left of the receiver starts with a rectangle with 4 numbers in it [****]
Then 3 Chinese characters and 8 digit number with a punched C after it, goes like this,
[****] ### 240005962C
The other numbers on the bolt carrier, trigger guard, ect is; 05926
Any help IDing this as to age would help. AK's are easy compared to these rascals.
I know...pics would help....my camera won't be back until May 14th, I'll try to get some
pics up then..:think:[/QUOTE:
Update: Took it apart last night, has [0138] in the rectangle, screwed in barrel, chrome lined barrel
rear left side of the receiver is; sks 7.62x39 made in china by norinco CSI ONT CA
Apparently this gun was imported into Ontario Canada by CSI
Pics soon......

hogjon13
05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=binky59;132404]
Took it apart last night, has [0138] in the rectangle, screwed in barrel, chrome lined barrel
rear left side of the receiver is; sks 7.62x39 made in china by norinco CSI ONT CA
Apparently this gun was imported into Ontario Canada by CSI
Pics soon......
Ontario, California USA