PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an Axe

Zoff12
05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Looking to get a good practical axe for use around the home. I would like a decent one but not cost an arm and a leg. I have a Fiskars but was wondering if a wooden handled axe would be better. Any recommendations?

abpt1
05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Looking to get a good practical axe for use around the home. I would like a decent one but not cost an arm and a leg. I have a Fiskars but was wondering if a wooden handled axe would be better. Any recommendations?

I like a to have two a thin double blade and a nice 8lb Maul

and for everything bigger a 12lb sledge and a wood grenade :thumbsup:

old Grump
05-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Looking to get a good practical axe for use around the home. I would like a decent one but not cost an arm and a leg. I have a Fiskars but was wondering if a wooden handled axe would be better. Any recommendations?I have a few around the house, some I like some are old utility axes but no recomendation is coming till you tell us what you want the axe for.

Kind of like asking what kind of gun should I buy? But you don't say what the gun is going to be used for.

Zoff12
05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Basic everyday general chopping. I know there is no "Do All" axe but would like as close to a general work axe as I can get.

old Grump
05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Close as you will get is a forest axe, I like old axe heads I pick up at yardsales and put my own handles on or Canadian or Swedish axes. There may be better but the best I know of is a company called Wetterling. It's not quite a felling axe and it isn't the best limb chopper or the best splitting maul but it will do all of them.

Kind of like guns, I have my go to gun and then a dozen others for niche shooting. If you don't mind fiberglass handles there is coldsteel but since I am a dinosaur I just prefer the feel of wood in my hands.

Joey
05-14-2011, 02:32 AM
I would like a decent one but not cost an arm and a leg.

:lol2:

Richard Simmons
05-14-2011, 06:54 AM
I've heard good reports about these folks but don't actually own their product.

http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=10

Zoff12
05-14-2011, 07:31 AM
I've heard good reports about these folks but don't actually own their product.

http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=10
Thanks... I'll check them out.

I used the same axe for years. I believe my Father got it back in the lat 60's early 70's from a local hardware store. Replaced the handle ump-teen times and it has been sharpened to within an inch of its life. Would love to find one that tough again. Looks like Council Tool makes the same style...

arcangel
05-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Not an axe but Tomahawk, United cutlery M38 tactical tomahawk. I've been using it to make my bows. Its been a workhorse for me since I bought it. Midway Usa had it for under $40. Holding its edge, and fun to throw.

Zoff12
05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Not an axe but Tomahawk, United cutlery M38 tactical tomahawk. I've been using it to make my bows. Its been a workhorse for me since I bought it. Midway Usa had it for under $40. Holding its edge, and fun to throw.
They are nice but not what I am looking for. I think I am just going to stick with my Fiskars X15. May put in the cash for the X27 for splitting. Already have a maul, sledgehammer, and wedges. Guess I don't need a new axe after all.

Richard Simmons
06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Some more axe choices here.

http://www.garrettwade.com/default.asp

Some pretty neat items.