PDA

View Full Version : U.S Made 5.45x39

stinker
05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
5.45x39 Hornady V-Max (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/61141-1.html)
May be old news but i just noticed it for the first time window shopping.
Polymer tipped AK ammo mmmm,mmmm,good. :thumbspbig:

Somewhere out there is an AK owner that needs a tissue for his keyboard methinks.

imanaknut
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Hard to get excited. It is still steel cased. Costs $355.80/1000 plus shipping.

Compare to a Russian can of 1080 rounds for $140 from Aim.

Although I prefer so spend money on US made stuff, the price difference is not worth it.

O.S.O.K.
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah - thought that was weird - steel cased. Read a review in the Guns and Ammo AK-47 special issue. It's loaded with flat-based bullets... the soviet stuff is boat tail.

I think they should've made it with brass cases and interlock bullets. That would probably sell better - as the 74 guys would buy it for hunting.

I doubt too many people will spend that for plinking/blasting... maybe home defense though - but that's even more limited in volume than hunting (we hope!!)

stinker
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
What caught my attention was the polymer tip v-max bullets.
Those are some nasty expanding hollow points.
Just thought i'd point them out as i've never heard of domestic blend 5.45 before. :conf44:
I thought all the ammo in that round was imported surp

AKTexas
05-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah - thought that was weird - steel cased. Read a review in the Guns and Ammo AK-47 special issue. It's loaded with flat-based bullets... the soviet stuff is boat tail.

I think they should've made it with brass cases and interlock bullets. That would probably sell better - as the 74 guys would buy it for hunting.

I doubt too many people will spend that for plinking/blasting... maybe home defense though - but that's even more limited in volume than hunting (we hope!!)

Hunting with that small of a bullet? What?

Skip
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Do you think they maybe importing primed cases from Russia and adding powder and V-Max at the Hornady factory?

imanaknut
05-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Do you think they maybe importing primed cases from Russia and adding powder and V-Max at the Hornady factory?

This would be my uneducated guess.

AKTexas
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
I recall reading that the cases are imported primed and ready for loading. I will see if I have the article still.

O.S.O.K.
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Hunting - you know, shooting animals :D

Smallish deer like in the hill country, hogs - head shots, coyotes, etc.

Ayite?

AKTexas
05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Hunting - you know, shooting animals :D

Smallish deer like in the hill country, hogs - head shots, coyotes, etc.

Ayite?

Yeah I hunt regularly. Not hill country deer, after seeing what a .220 swift will do to a deer never again will I use anything that small. It did the job, dropped the buck where he stood. Heart was jello and so was the shoulder. Never had that problem with the .270 or .30 cal bullets. I have taken yotes with wolf 5.45 and it was a mess.