PDA

View Full Version : Do sights count toward 922r compliance?

Tully
05-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Hey all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. New to the sight and new to AKs. I just recently purchased a SAR-1 and the stock is cut down to a shorter LOP. I want to replace the stock possibly with a surplus stock but want to remain compliant. Which leads me to my question- If the gun is wearing xs big dot sights do they count toward my US part count?

Thank you. And any leads on butt stocks would also be much appreciated.

O.S.O.K.
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
First of all :welcome: to the board!

You came to the right place to get answers about AK's.

No, the sights or other accessories that attach to the carbine do not count for parts.

And just to clarify that situation, you need only be concerned with the number of IMPORTED parts - the number of US made parts is of no matter.

The rule is that you may have no more than 10 of the parts from the BATFE list as imported parts.

For the SAR, here are the countable parts:

muzzle device
barrel
handguards (both together count as one part)
trunions (basically, the front trunion - the block that the receiver is riveted to)
receiver
gas piston
bolt carrier
bolt
hammer
trigger
sear
magazine body
magaizine follower
magazine floorplate
pistol grip
buttstock

And that's it.

The SAR's come "stock" from Century with the following US-made parts:

gas piston
hammer
trigger
sear
pistol grip

That leaves the required 10 or less imported countable parts on the carbine.

Since the SAR's come with an imported buttstock, you should be fine installing a milsurp buttstock as long as none of the other us made parts were changed out for imports or other imported countable parts added (such as a muzzle device).

That's the deal.

Hope you find that of help and stick around to read and post some more threads!

Tully
05-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for clarification. I was under te impression that the butt stock was US made and that was reason for mismatched wood. I wouldn't know, mine has been cut down and painted so in sure any marking is gone any way. But for $200 and a few glock mags im not complaining.

Looking at your list it would seem I still needed one more part to put me at 10 there's no muzzle break/threaded barrel. I think the FCG is American. I don't know. Will have to strip and inventory just to be safe. I think I'll just go US stock and air on side opt caution. Crazy.

Thanks again for the response. Looking forward to learning more about this rifle.

Krupski
05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Hey all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. New to the sight and new to AKs. I just recently purchased a SAR-1 and the stock is cut down to a shorter LOP. I want to replace the stock possibly with a surplus stock but want to remain compliant. Which leads me to my question- If the gun is wearing xs big dot sights do they count toward my US part count?

Thank you. And any leads on butt stocks would also be much appreciated.

Sights are not on "the list", therefore they do not count as foreign parts.

The furniture, however, DOES count.

When you buy an SAR-1, it typically had 15 "countable" foreign parts which were replaced at CAI to bring the rifle into "10 foreign parts" compliance. These parts are:

(1) Trigger
(2) Disconnector
(3) Hammer
(4) Gas piston
(5) Pistol grip

So, you can put on whatever stock set you wish... the original is foreign anyway (EXCEPT for the pistol grip)

Lastly, be aware that to be in compliance you DO NOT ADD US made parts, you REMOVE foreign made parts.

The (stupid) law says you can have no more than 10 foreign parts. ADDING a US made part does NOT "offset" a foreign part. If you have 11 foreign parts and a million US parts, you are still not compliant.

Hope this helps.......

(Oh I see you're new... WELCOME!!!)

-- Roger

Krupski
05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for clarification. I was under te impression that the butt stock was US made and that was reason for mismatched wood. I wouldn't know, mine has been cut down and painted so in sure any marking is gone any way. But for $200 and a few glock mags im not complaining.

Holy crap! You got an SAR-1 and some mags for $200? What a steal!

(Are you sure you have an SAR-1 and not a WASR-10?) Does the rifle have dimples (oval shaped indents, one on each side, by the magazine well)?

imanaknut
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I wouldn't worry about your parts count. Assuming that you bought the rifle with the only modification being the cut down stock, since the stock was an imported part to begin with, it doesn't matter what you replace it with.

Hard to believe that our government could have people so stupid as to think that using an American part versus an imported part can make a difference as to how a tool is used. Also hard to believe that they can infringe on the rights of the people, and get away with it.

Enjoy your SAR-1, to date still the only true military issue AK variant to be sold to those of us who used to have rights that shall not be infringed.

Tully
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys. Definately more clear on what I'm dealing with. Seems like I will be shopping for a stock this week. Of course I can't go folding/collapsible because theyre not legal locally... I'll save that for another post.

The rifle is definately a SAR-1 manufactured 2002 dimples and all. Sights are straight and it came with xs big dot tritium sights installed. Didnt come with mags. I traded a few glock mags and $200 for it.

O.S.O.K.
05-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys. Definately more clear on what I'm dealing with. Seems like I will be shopping for a stock this week. Of course I can't go folding/collapsible because theyre not legal locally... I'll save that for another post.

The rifle is definately a SAR-1 manufactured 2002 dimples and all. Sights are straight and it came with xs big dot tritium sights installed. Didnt come with mags. I traded a few glock mags and $200 for it.

If you would be happy refinishing the buttstock, and will pay the shipping, I have a spare romainian buttstock that I cna send you. PM me if you'd like it. It will be a take-off of a Romanian "G" model. You'll want to strip it and sand, stain, finish but they usually turn out quite nice. $12 pays for medium flat-rate USPS Priority.

Tully
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
That sounds awesome. Pm inbound. Would love to be able to refinish original. Have to do handguard anyway.

O.S.O.K.
05-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Back attcha :D