PDA

View Full Version : Are you a survivalist, crisis manager or contingencyist?

O.S.O.K.
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I was thinking about this in the shower this morning.

I'm a contingencyist. I continency plan and prepare. I guess that's what a "prepper" is actually.

Crisis managers are also preppers I guess but I view that as more of a short term action plan rather than a preparation for long-term condition.

I see "survivalists" as being people that choose a subsistence lifestyle.

While I am working to be able to be a survivalist - it is only as a contingency for SHTF or hard times - not as an ongoing lifestyle.

Not that there's anything wrong with survivalism, just that its not my deal.

I think this forum really should be called the prepper's forum. Or Crisis Management Forum.

That seems to be what most here are vs the "real" survivalists...

So I guess there are levels of condition or status in terms of where people are at with this:

Oblivious or denying that anything bad will happen
Crisis Manager
Prepper/Continencyist
Survivalist

Of course, the lines are blurred between these levels - some are mostly oblivious or in denial but do some minimal thing like buy a gun and a box of ammo... And some preppers also practice some survivalist methods....

:coffee:

O.S.O.K.
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
I know.

Too cereberal.

Sorry... :read:

recon
05-19-2011, 07:22 PM
:sleep:

old Grump
05-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Where does fisherman and tomato grower fit?

Tully
05-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Interesting. I think rare is the man that could rightfully consider himself fully prepared. With that I must say I am guilty of not thinking about it enough. Planning wise I am at a loss. I can't say I have a strategy. But through life I feel I've picked up the skills and equipment to give it a fair go. Now I will be up all night trying to plan for Saturday!

O.S.O.K.
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
:lool: You guys really know how to build a guy up :lool:

Grump - you are a totally different animal - a crumudgeonasuarus. :D

Tully - you just have to pick what you think is the most likely shit that will hit the fan and prepare for that. At least, that's what I do... I guess it makes sense to go with the basics like shelter, food, water and self protection and go up from there.

Schuetzenman
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm probably a little bit of all of the 3.

Tully
05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
So after some thought I've come to the conclusion that my survival kit must include paracord, a machete, some beef jerky and some other important stuff that I haven't exactly figured out yet. Damn this IS hard. I agree that it's easier to prepare for a given situation. However one thing I'd like to do is put together a bug out bag but just can't seem to get down to the absolute essentials for a grab and go.

old Grump
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Bug out hell, lock the front door, fill up all the containers including trash cans with fresh water and load guns and magazines.

Jeez if I do that I will be late for supper unless I stop for a meal break. :read: I checked the rules, meal breaks allowed. They had better stay away from my rhubarb and my tomatoes is all I got to say.

Schuetzenman
05-20-2011, 09:45 PM
So do you make Rhubarb pies or turn it into a Preserve?

old Grump
05-20-2011, 10:50 PM
sauce used for topping for cake or icecream, pie, cake, bread, jam. Mix it with apples, strawberries, cherries, raspberries or straight. Was mowing today and saw that my two old plants are ready for harvest and my 5 new plants will be ready next year

arcangel
05-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Great topic here. None of the above but at least some of each. I like to consider myself a minimalist of sorts. I dont have much money to buy supplies or new gear like some, so I use everything I have untill it falls apart and then find multiple uses after its broke. I would prefer tools in a BOB instead of loads of guns and ammo. With tools I can make basic weapons and shelter and traps improving my odds and comfort level. I spend considerable amounts of time in the woods building bows/arrows/ shelters/ traps, staying as unseen and unheard as I can. I dont leave the traps.

Every where I go I at least have my carry and spare mag, thats a constant even in the woods. Having that is probably the best prep that a person could hope for in most initial SHTF situations. Being armed initially when the SHTF ball starts to roll will save you.

Whats the most basic, minimal kit you could find yourself comfortable using for survival for X amount of time? Id be ok with as follows, G19, 3 mags, tomahawk, Ka-bar, 1 bow stave, braided wire about 50ft, 4 way file, jib saw, katadyn, camel bak, work gloves and duct tape. And thats for four seasons, heavily dependent on the bow to fill the place of a rifle, to be less a target and lighter.There would be times where I would go hungry, thats part of survival. If a rifle were included it would be an AR15 and 4 mags remaining somewhat light.

How many types of winter shelters can you make on the fly and still keep warm? With materials in the woods. Winter sucks up here, and materials get harder to find, along with food. Modern equipment and weapons make living in the wilderness much better than what peoples of the past had. What happens if your in the woods and your knife snaps, can you replace it or knap another? Imagination is key.

I suppose we lean more towards survivalists, a lot of people here have been at it for years planning and gathering what they feel they would need. But compared to the other 2 a survivalist has more of a chance and I guess more will to survive. Short term survival is ok but relying on the government is nonsense. In history no civilization has lasted forever and eventually had to be started over, going on that, the way we live our lives as we know it may not last, why not learn now?

If/when its time to survive being in the group or groups and labels we give ourselves will only soften the blow. But those supplies will run out, then its all in what your willing to do to survive.

bovver
05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Off the list I would have to say a little of all three.

Bluntforce
05-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm a Crisis Manager, I manage to cause a crisis wherever I go.

sksAL
05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm probably a little bit of all of the 3.

bingo.