PDA

View Full Version : The prepper's or survival gun of choice - based on sales

O.S.O.K.
05-19-2011, 01:30 PM
I would be willing to bet that the often asked question "what's the best survival gun to buy?" has been answered in terms of what has been selected by and far as the favorite based on sales.

The AKM

Maybe followed by the SKS

I would expect everything else to fall behind these for prepper purchases.

Maybe the AR-15 next... then leverguns.

Schuetzenman
05-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I have no clue. Certainly the AK takes the least experience and apptitude to operate. Cleaning seldom required and it functions. OTOH, not overly accurate compared to most AR rifles. Some exceptions exist, I own one. ;)

romak10/63UF
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
The AKM.... the bayonet come with a wire cutter... come on now your running threw the woods an your traped behind enemy lines an you need to get the hell out of there but then you come to a eletrical fence :ohsnap: what do you do ? pull out your ak-47 wire cutter bayonet an cut threw the wire ! Can a Ar-15 bayonet do that ? :thumbspbig:

Penguin
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I would have guessed the AR-15. Based on the people I know, they all have at least one AR-15. It is usally the gun that would be thier first choice to if the SHTF. The only person I know who seriously perpares for this kind of stuff who doesn't have one is me. Meybe the AR is just popular around here, I don't know.

Schuetzenman
05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
The AKM.... the bayonet come with a wire cutter... come on now your running threw the woods an your traped behind enemy lines an you need to get the hell out of there but then you come to a eletrical fence :ohsnap: what do you do ? pull out your ak-47 wire cutter bayonet an cut threw the wire ! Can a Ar-15 bayonet do that ? :thumbspbig:

Think M9 bayonet for the answer. :nutkick:

O.S.O.K.
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I was just going on my personal reading of what is most always recommended for noobs, the fact that they seem to sell out quickly at the wholesalers and what I see at the range.

The range shows an edge going to the AKM's - at least where I am. Yeah, plenty of AR's too but I'm thinking that those buying as a tool aren't necessarily going to go to the range on an regular basis...

AKTexas
05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm going to vote with the 91/30 MN with bayonet as my go to. Just to snub at ak and other semi-autos.

Infidelski
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Preppers have to lean toward the AK. Its simple, they always cost less which even today usually means you can get two AK for the price of one AR. 5 of my first 10 rifle purchases were AKM specifically for this reason. For me, I preferred the AR but only had one, when I was binge buying hardware the SAR, siaga and even vepr's were more affordable. Same goes for surplus pistols, they are reliable and cheap. My 2nd 3rd and 4th semi-auto pistols were the CZ52 because they were $75 each and 70rnd boxes of surplus chinese 7.62x25 ammo was $3/box. Don't binge buy anymore because of the kids but pick up an occasional AR/5.56 and/or high tolerance pistol.

Schuetzenman
05-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Preppers have to lean toward the AK. Its simple, they always cost less which even today usually means you can get two AK for the price of one AR. 5 of my first 10 rifle purchases were AKM specifically for this reason. For me, I preferred the AR but only had one, when I was binge buying hardware the SAR, siaga and even vepr's were more affordable. Same goes for surplus pistols, they are reliable and cheap. My 2nd 3rd and 4th semi-auto pistols were the CZ52 because they were $75 each and 70rnd boxes of surplus chinese 7.62x25 ammo was $3/box. Don't binge buy anymore because of the kids but pick up an occasional AR/5.56 and/or high tolerance pistol.

How long ago was that? Check the prices these days and most AK variants are up there in the $600 plus range. I can build an AR for that much.

bovver
05-20-2011, 09:00 AM
I dont own any type of ar.
I really do not like the weapon itself or the round.
Maybe one thing that the akm had when I first got into guns was price.
That cant be said now adays as price of a good AK is up.
Same for ammo and mags.
Thinking waffles and bakelite.
I think it might be for quality.
Now this is just what I think,dont really care why anyone like the ar oand dont want to turn this thread into yet another vs' thread.

TomO
05-20-2011, 09:10 AM
AR for the range....longer range targets and even home defense.

SHTF go innawoodz? AKM hands down.

Infidelski
05-20-2011, 09:56 AM
How long ago was that? Check the prices these days and most AK variants are up there in the $600 plus range. I can build an AR for that much.

You are correct Sir, good point however whislt you may be able to build a AR for $600 most kneejerk buyers (preppers) can not build/assemble an AR even at low end centuryarms monkeyquality standards.

Point being that popularity based on sales is going to lean towards the AKM for as long as people walk into stores and see that they are almost always less than the AR's on the rack next to them and ammo is cheap.

O.S.O.K.
05-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Preppers purchase romy aks, saigas and sks's - again just my observation and the are all $400 ish.

raxar
05-20-2011, 03:52 PM
IDK, in my area AR's seem far more popular.

old Grump
05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
All I need is my 22, shoot the wife and throw her over the fence, continue on my way.

O.S.O.K.
05-20-2011, 05:16 PM
:think:

Not getting along with the wife grump?

Sergi762
05-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I may be alone in this respect but a FAL will kill most if not all the targets one will encounter..sure it's heavier and less ammo can be carried but when you absolutely, positively gotta kill every last thing in your way .308 isn't too bad. 'sides the AK market sucks ass where I am. I might know where a Kassnar AK folder is but doubt I can come up with the scratch before the poo flies... Got a full Tin of Steel core Chinese stuff though..

bovver
05-20-2011, 08:54 PM
All I need is my 22, shoot the wife and throw her over the fence, continue on my way.
Who's going to carry all your stuff if you off her right off?

old Grump
05-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Who's going to carry all your stuff if you off her right off?She was the baggage. Why do you think I'm Grumpy.

bovver
05-20-2011, 09:07 PM
She was the baggage. Why do you think I'm Grumpy.

HAHAHA.
Yes sir,carry on.

Schuetzenman
05-20-2011, 09:36 PM

:clap::roflwithfeetcv2:

arcangel
05-21-2011, 12:10 PM
WASR's are very popular around my parts of the woods as far as AK's go, the gun shop here tends to be more of a pistol shop. I see a lot of people picking up Springfield XD's and WASR AK's, followed by AR's and 1911's.

AKTexas
05-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Are you married?

Okay you plan ahead. :clap:

She was the baggage. Why do you think I'm Grumpy.

Spoken like a man that has been married for a long time.

old Grump
05-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Spoken like a man that has been married for a long time. Was married for a long time, today I am a happy man. :laugh:

bovver
05-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Are you married?

Okay you plan ahead. :clap:

Spoken like a man that has been married for a long time.
Been married to her for 21 years.
who you think is going to carry my stuff?
ME?
that pack is heavy.

romak10/63UF
05-21-2011, 08:51 PM
You know why old grump is a happy man.... He killed his wife with his 22lr....

Dont get me wrong grump its a joke !
:laugh:

old Grump
05-21-2011, 09:04 PM
You know why old grump is a happy man.... He killed his wife with his 22lr....

Dont get me wrong grump its a joke !
:laugh:She was absolutely useless in the woods and using a 22 bullet on her would have been a waste of good ammunition. She and her boyfriend are in Florida dodging bill collectors and my credit has been rehabilitated. Big bonus is I can go into the woods whenever I want for as long as I want. I am a happy man.

arcangel
05-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Speaking of ladies in the woods, my girl must have done some reading up on plant life, she's been pointing out trees out there with me and so far has been right. And yesterday we went shooting and she's been out shooting me to, making me look pretty bad. When the SHTF she can be my body guard lol.

AKTexas
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Was married for a long time, today I am a happy man. :laugh:

LOL!

Been married to her for 21 years.
who you think is going to carry my stuff?
ME?
that pack is heavy.

What is wrong with just living in sin? Once you marry the spouse gets half of your stuff.

Bluntforce
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
My idea of prepping is having my assets hidden so she doesn't get half my shit.

bovver
05-22-2011, 05:19 PM
LOL!

What is wrong with just living in sin? Once you marry the spouse gets half of your stuff.
I didnt have anything when I met her,so she is welcome to half of everything.

Warlord
05-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I have to go with my POF AR 15 carbine. I took her out on Saturday (yes just before the rapture) and ran hundreds of rounds of the shittiest Wolf steel cased ammo thorough her with not one hiccup what so ever. Even did a 100 round beta mag dump, no issues, no jams, nothing. It simply ate everything and asked for more. Right after the 100 round beta mag dump I wrapped my hand around the delta ring upper area, it was luke warm at best. I love this weapon! Yes it is much more expensive than an AK, in fact you could buy 4 WASR 10's for what It costs, but Quality does not cost it pays. At 100 + yards I was getting overlapping groups the size of a dime, try that with an AK.

recon
05-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I still own more AR's than AK's right now. My AR's are the ones I'll have for the SHTF. But I will always have my Chinese 84s/5.56 with me as a back up! It takes AR mags also.

romak10/63UF
05-22-2011, 11:45 PM
YO WARLOARD... check out this video.... now can you do that to your precious ar-15 ? i know a little bit of dirt will do to a m-16 or a ar -15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPbF0kKyc2

Ak47 +1

AKTexas
05-23-2011, 08:10 AM
AK vs AR or Glock vs XD.

STFU and go shoot. I would trust my life on my own skills with either for food or defense.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
For survival prep? An AR15? You fucking kidding me? Are to trying to survive, or are you "neutralizing Tangos?

12 guage coach gun. You can't hold off the empire with one, but you can take out any individual creature found in north America with one. It is also cheap to feed, ammo can be found everywhere, and side by sides can accept "cut" shells, so you can use birshot like slugs if you need to.

TomO
05-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Are to trying to survive, or are you "neutralizing Tangos?

There's a difference?:wild-mg:

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
There's a difference?:wild-mg:
There's a huge difference. Anybody who doesn't understand said difference is basically a resuply on legs.

romak10/63UF
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Dr gonzo lay off the meds LMAO... 12 gauge rounds weigh alot more than 7.62x39 or even .223 You need more proof ? What happen in Vietnam ? Let me tell you the M-16 was jamming in the mud ... while the V.A. were raining down lead from there Mudd soaked ak-47s

So basicly i would go with a Ak-47 underfolder eazy to carry an a big hand gun G-21

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
The modern M16 is nothing like the ones used in Vietnam.

recon
05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
What he said!

bovver
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Doesnt mean it doesnt suck.

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Doesnt mean it still doesnt suck.

So explain how it sucks? Do you own one? Did your read it on the internet that it sucks or the MSM tell you that it sucks? What makes the platform suck?

Mine has not been cleaned in over 600 rounds of wolf, 500 rounds of of Radway green and 100s of rounds of misc other. PMC, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Monarch brass and steel. Not a single hiccup and still going strong. My father served in Vietnam and was issued a carbine and rifle version of the platform. Once the changes were made the rifle functioned as it should have.

bovver
05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
So explain how it sucks? Do you own one? Did your read it on the internet that it sucks or the MSM tell you that it sucks? What makes the platform suck?

Mine has not been cleaned in over 600 rounds of wolf, 500 rounds of of Radway green and 100s of rounds of misc other. PMC, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Monarch brass and steel. Not a single hiccup and still going strong. My father served in Vietnam and was issued a carbine and rifle version of the platform. Once the changes were made the rifle functioned as it should have.

And my father used it in viet nam.
My grandfather also used it in viet nam.
My grandfather was one of the first men to use the M16 A1 rifle in combat in viet nam.
And I still think its not a good rifle.
They didnt seem to think of it as a good rifle themselves.
I am very glad you like yours,good for you,want a cookie?

romak10/63UF
05-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Yo Aktexas try throwing your ar-15 in the mud an see if it runs like a ak47 would in the mud... Until then maybe you should join a AR-15 gunclub... :pissin-chipmunk2:

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
And my father used it in viet nam.
My grandfather also used it in viet nam.
My grandfather was one of the first men to use the M16 A1 rifle in combat in viet nam.
And I still think its not a good rifle.
They didnt seem to think of it as a good rifle themselves.
I am very glad you like yours,good for you,want a cookie?

Don't get your panties in a wad. Just asking you a question in a friendly discussion. If you don't want to play the game that is fine.

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Yo Aktexas try throwing your ar-15 in the mud an see if it runs like a ak47 would in the mud... Until then maybe you should join a AR-15 gunclub... :pissin-chipmunk2:

Hey fuckhead I own both systems and both have their merits. Your last sentence make no sense at all.

bovver
05-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Don't get your panties in a wad. Just asking you a question in a friendly discussion.

I go commando or boxers if you must know about my underpants.
But by the term panties I see you like the string type hammock.

why the edit to sound like your a tough guy?
we all know your a puss.

romak10/63UF
05-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I own a Bushmaster M-4 carbine... Its Nice for plinking but the 22cal can only do so much to a bear or even a deer ,but the 30 cal of the ak-47 has " Known down power " do you understand what im saying now ?

romak10/63UF
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
LOL @ bovver " I GO COMMANDO IN THE WOODS ! lmao

we all know your a puss.

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 10:17 PM

we all know your a puss.

Seriously? You wanna play that card? Go fuck yourself. I had a double post and fixed it so STFU and eat a fat turd in hell.

bovver
05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Just messing with you.
I dont care if the m16 is good or bad.
I dont care.

another edit?
let me guess,another double post?
hahaha douche.

AK-J
05-24-2011, 10:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

recon
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
:think:

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Just messing with you.
I dont care if the m16 is good or bad.
I dont care.

another edit?
let me guess,another double post?
hahaha douche.

so you had to go back and edit that I made an edit? Stan made me do it or was it lady gaga? HAHAHA Dick!

Schuetzenman
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Well that's impressive. Though the dirt on the handguards and buttstock mean zero. The open ejector port, now that is impressive that it ran.

Now I'd like to say how disappointed I am this has turned into an AK vs. AR15 pissing match thread. The original M16 deployed to Veitnam didn't have a chromed bore or chamber. The chamber in particlar not being chromed lead to weapon stoppages. Some of them even had rough chambers and those weapons wouldn't fire 2 shots in a row.

Eventually the chambers being rough was identified and some of these weapons had the chambers smoothed / polished up. Then they worked ok. Eventally all this information from the field got fed back and chromed chambers / bores were introduced.

Today's AR / M16's have over 200 refinements, possibly closer to 300 over the initial M16. They are much better than they were. I still think the AK is better at operating dirty with minimal or no cleaning vs. the AR / M16 weapon. I also know that the AR / M16 is a substantially more accurate weapon on average. If the SHTF an AR variant will be my main go to, all be it a gast piston version.

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

To be fair I would not put any of my firearms in the mud or sand.

Edit to add: My apologies for turning this into an AR vs AK. I like them both equally both have weaknesses and merits.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Dr gonzo lay off the meds LMAO...

Internetz iz serious business! :lool:

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Now I'd like to say how disappointed I am this has turned into an AK vs. AR15 pissing match thread.
Yeah, we've crossed the point of no return, might as well take this to it's illogical conclusion...

HK G-36 is the best gun ever because it looks cool in video games!

AKTexas
05-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, we've crossed the point of no return, might as well take this to it's illogical conclusion...

HK G-36 is the best gun ever because it looks cool in video games!

Na man SCAR!

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Na man SCAR!
Hell yeah! Thing looks like Tom Clancy mated with a mighty Tuna fish and gave birth to the 1337357 rifle ever!

If you can't dominate the wasteland with that, then you aren't a real opperator!

O.S.O.K.
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
WTF happened to my thread? :dammit:

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Got tossed in a blender and now it is this.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
What happened? I mentioned and actual survival tool and the Rainbow Six crew took it as an affront to their masculine fantasies. So now we have to nut ride the 5.56 Nato to keep them happy.

Anyways...

Survival Gun:
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/brno-combo-rifleshotgun/

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
What happened? I mentioned and actual survival tool and the Rainbow Six crew took it as an affront to their masculine fantasies. So now we have to nut ride the 5.56 Nato to keep them happy.

Anyways...

Survival Gun:
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/brno-combo-rifleshotgun/

Those double caliber guns are nice and are always forgotten.

bovver
05-25-2011, 05:32 PM
so you had to go back and edit that I made an edit? Stan made me do it or was it lady gaga? HAHAHA Dick!

Whatever.
your still a douche that brings a bag of dicks to every thread to how fast he can gay it up.
Now I see you want the gaga cock.
Do you post vids of yourself in full gaga drag and mime her songs?
I bet this is you huh?
fess up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfPkU_UJu0

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Whatever.
your still a douche that brings a bag of dicks to every thread to how fast he can gay it up.
Now I see you want the gaga cock.
Do you post vids of yourself in full gaga drag and mime her songs?
I bet this is you huh?
fess up

Oh the pain, my side...Damn I only wish I was a bad ass internet gangster like you. You win the internet! :whatever:

bovver
05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh the pain, my side...Damn I only wish I was a bad ass internet gangster like you. You win the internet! :whatever:

lol

O.S.O.K.
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
bovver, apparently you didn't get the hint.

Why don't you go down to the RH to play with AKTexas? Or just stick to the OP.

Thanks in advance.

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 07:36 PM
bovver, apparently you didn't get the hint.

Why don't you go down to the RH to play with AKTexas? Or just stick to the OP.

Thanks in advance.

Sure throw me under bus OSOK...

O.S.O.K.
05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
:lool:

bovver
05-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Sure throw me under bus OSOK...

See man,get me in trouble.
Dont talk to me anymore.

Sorry,didnt mean to crap on your thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqJJeCjFtJQ&feature=related

Here,you cant hate on me when I bring you girl with AK action.

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 08:30 PM
See man,get me in trouble.
Dont talk to me anymore.

Sorry,didnt mean to crap on your thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqJJeCjFtJQ&feature=related

Here,you cant hate on me when I bring you girl with AK action.

Nothing wrong with that.

bovver
05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah.
I was looking for the one in russia where the girl has it on full auto and almost shoots her boyfriend and the camera guy.

AKTexas
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO-EzoIbSs

bovver
05-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO-EzoIbSs
Nice pick.
I do like her videos.

bovver
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxDhG9LuJI

Classic

bovver
05-25-2011, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN0xEpJ1hGE&feature=related

:laugh::laugh:
so funny it gets two

O.S.O.K.
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah - I like all of those! But they need their own thread - probably in GD or something...

And I'm not hating on you :firedevil:

(AK)1000shots
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
So I'm thinking, when the SHTF, the best weapon to use is whatever's available at the moment. Since I only own one firearm, it'll be my WASR.

AR vs AK? How about grabbing whichever is closer to you when you need it?

Chances are, you aren't at standoff distances repelling an assault, you're more likely defending your home/resources from a motley bunch of assholes that didn't plan ahead. Time to go lethal, grab whatever's closest, slap in a mag, and show them the business end of your rifle.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

sksAL
06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
ak, or sks. only reason id have a ar is to use the ammo "laying around". of course, 12 and 20 ga, 10/22. hk in 556 would be my choice, way more dependable id guess.

old Grump
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
By sales I can't say, every top 10 list I look at is all pistols but as for me if it has Browning, Colt or Stoner tied to the name I would be happy with it as long as it wasn't a varmint gun caliber. I just flat don't get all excited by name brand loyalty but Colt inspired guns have been around a long time for a reason and Browning inspired guns have been around for a long time for a reason and Stoner had a perfectly good concept until it got committee compromised and sissified.

Truth is if I had to head for the woods I would be in deep doo doo but if I could and was going in to fight boogermen I would probably have something by Garand in my arms and Colt on my hip. Not better but two guns I am intimately familiar with.

If it was a survival live off the land scenario and not a battle scenario I would be carrying the oldest cheapest most practical gun in my collection. A single shot bolt action Savage 22 cal rifle with iron sights and a 100 rounds in a plastic zip lock baggie in my pants pocket.

Try to break into my house and you won't know what you will be met with, depends on what was handiest so it could be 32 Win Spcl. 12 gauge semi., 20 gauge pump, 45 pistol or Ruger 44 mag or any of a half dozen other guns and calibers, boogerman wouldn't like any of them so all this caliber silliness is just that...silliness. Does it make a damn bit of difference to you if you get shot by an AK or a Mosin or an Armalite or maybe something shooting a Federal .338 round in your direction? I'm guessing they would all ruin your day. Best gun, the one that makes you happiest. As for me, I'm happy with all of them.

Mark Ducati
06-17-2011, 04:35 PM
This is a neat article:

1: Colt 1911
2: S&W #10 Model Revolver
3: Bushmaster AR15
4: Remmington 870
5: Thompson Center Arms Muzzle Loading Rifle

Top 5 Most popular guns and why:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/5-most-popular-guns.htm

Izzy
07-10-2011, 02:49 PM

No, they are not "the same" but they are close. Most have a chromed chaimber and are not using powder (meant for the M14) not reccomended by the manufactuer, but other than that, they are functionally equivalent.

Read:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Defensewatch_100303_Offley,00.html
"practically all of the soldiers' M-16 rifles had already jammed due to insufficient maintenance and cleaning...."But Miller's rifle was jammed. A spent round would eject, but the new round would only go halfway into the chamber. Miller slammed his palm into a lever on the side of the gun, and the bullet slid into place. He raised his rifle and fired. The Iraqi collapsed in a heap before he could fire the mortar round. …

"One by one, Miller, by his count, shot seven Iraqis as each popped up and tried to work the mortar. After it was over, a large bruise spread over Miller's palm from the constant slapping against the rifle."

The real unsung hero of the "Private Lynch" hulabaloo was forced to use his weapon as a single shot, fortunately they train the US Army better than a bunch of wild Jihadi's ( actually "Fayadeen" volunteers), because if they knew how to actually work mortors, RPG's or an AKM, all of those fine soldiers would now be gone.

M-16/a2 /M-4 etc. all need to be maintained to a higher level, but in any case, you have to be able to actually hit your target.

NOW as for the OP, the most popular gun choice for "survivalists" ( drumroll) is the 12GA shotty ! For rifles the AR is still more popular in the US of A, but AK is a close second in Popularity.