PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ban AK magazines?

Tully
05-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey guys. Please forgive if this is in the wrong place but I am looking for info on how to identify and/or where to purchase "pre-ban" ak47 mags. I live in New York so am limited to mags that are distinguishable as being manufactured prior to 1994. Newbie to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

00RedZX-6R
05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Only way I would know how to make sure you have pre 94 mags would be to get some east german mags. Since East germany was gone in 1990.

Tully
05-19-2011, 02:27 PM
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

imanaknut
05-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately none of the AK mag manufacturers dated their mags, and worse, the East German ones aren't stamped as being East German.

The only ones that I really know for sure would be the Chinese mags with the chrome followers and three witness holes which were only made in the mid to late 1980s. But even those aren't date stamped.

Tully
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Which seems to be the problem. Why would you date mags before a ban that didnt exist? Or has eclipsed in most places. Problem is in that mythic situation where one finds themselves in court it's more likely they'll have to prove it's preban than the prosecutor will have to prove it's post ban. And at that point the legal fees out weigh exoneration anyway. So if I could just avoid it all I would rather try and find the elusive definite preban mags bwish me luck. The ones I bought in ny from ffls have no distinguishing marks and was assured they were legal with no proof. Sure that would hold up.

romak10/63UF
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Your best deal would be to buy a new " made in america " US 922r 3 part complient magazines period hands down... just in case the D.A. says oh you have evil mags ! lol

Tully
05-19-2011, 07:47 PM
New is not an option in New York. We have our own AWB that limits mags to 10 rds unless manufactured prior to 1994.

Schuetzenman
05-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Russian Salb side mags with no grooves or ribs would be preban and provable as such. Firt off they stopped making them a long time ago, pre 1960. Second reason is Russia doesn't make them now. You'd be looking for an arrow with feathers in a triangle or a Star for arsenal marks.

Edited to add: Yikes! Found them at AA-Ok for $118 each! Now I wish I hadn't sold the 8 I had!

Tully
05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
So the $79.99 I found them for was a steal?! Thanks for the info I will keep an eye out. The maybe I can score some Tulas to match my mosin. Then I can say I paid the same for each...

binky59
05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey guys. Please forgive if this is in the wrong place but I am looking for info on how to identify and/or where to purchase "pre-ban" ak47 mags. I live in New York so am limited to mags that are distinguishable as being manufactured prior to 1994. Newbie to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The gun shops here in Rochester NY sell 30rnd mags (steel, ribbed, East German) I've been getting mine online.