Thread: M1 Carbine Barrel Band Issue

M1 Carbine Barrel Band Issue

I was firing my carbine (National Postal Meter) and discovered that the front barrel band (type 3 for the bayonet) was loose. Turned out the pinned screw via vibration from firing can now remove itself completely from the barrel band. My solution was just to screw it down and tighten it into place. Presume this falls under the "not a big problem, dude" category, but didn't know how common a problem this is. If it is something worth replacing, I have some M1 carbine wizards down the road from me and was planning on swapping out the Type 3 band for a Type 2 repro.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Not experienced that myself but then again I've never owned more than 1 carbine at a time and have owned a grand total of 2.

My 2 cents is ... reproduction type 2 band! Please have the dignity to put a real one on not a repo. Me I like my type 3 on my Postal Meter beaner as I like being able to mount a sticker on it. Nothing should be so effective to get unwilling people to move like the point of a bayonet in their backside.

Usually just tightening up the screw works, but there have been times I'd add a little blue LockTite as I was doing so. Always seemed to solve the problem.
    - Change it back -