Thread: Opinions on this Garand

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Opinions on this Garand

All the info I have are these photos from an estate sale listing which states it has never been fired nor out of the carton before these photos were taken. Doesn't look as cosmolene coated as the ones I received from the CMP years ago so I'm a bit skeptical about the "never been out of the box" statement.

Wish the label was in focus. I'm thinking this might be an older DCM rifle and not a newer CMP offering. Anyone have any opinion of what it might be, (SA/HR/Winchester) and value?

TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-23-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

My 1985 DCM Garand came in a carton in a cleaned condition but without a sling. It had a cosmoline straw in the muzzle just as in your photo. I would say it hasn't been fired since leaving Anniston.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Thanks Skip. Wondered what that was over the front sight. You're Garand is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ok, it has a walnut stock, not Birch. It's light enough to be Birch which says to me somebody refinished it. Question is was it done by some armorer or was it done by the former owner.

On what is it, hell if I can tell. Blown up to 400X normal I can see 3 lines of text. If it was a Springfield I think I would see it as 4 lines of text. So it's either a Winchester or an International harvester is my opinion.

Worth, depends if you are talking great deal or full market value. Great deal would be 7 bills or less. Full market value $900 to $1000.

FYI

The estate sale is today and the online bidding for this is at $1,300.00 and the actual sale doesn't start for a few more hours. WAY to rich for my blood but I'll follow it and see how high it goes. Thank you both for the replies.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

FYI

It went to an internet bidder for $1800 + 15% buyers premium so $2,070.00 + shipping and FFL transfer if they aren't local so worse case the total is looking close to $2,150.00. Even if it was a Winchester I can't see it being worth anything close to that.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The only way it would be worth that would be if it was 100% winchester and the chances of that are slim to none. Rich dumbass with more money than brain cells bought it is my take.

YOu want to get a nice Garand or Garands, the best way is to join the Grand collectors Association. Then volunteer to go to Anniston AL to clean an prep rifles for CMP. While there you can pick out rifles to purchase. I'm going to send you a PM to follwo up on this.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply and the PM. Used to belong to GCA but after my club became a CMP affiliate I dropped my membership.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Whether they are worth that kind of dough is arguable, but for my money, the next

time I get a Garand, it's going to have a new barrel. Generally speaking, circumstances

and time have not been kind to WWII rifle barrel accuracy.