Thread: Home Owner Defends Against Home Invasion

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Home Owner Defends Against Home Invasion

Tacoma resident shoots 2 burglary suspects, killing 1
    A man dies in an attempted burglary in Tacoma after he was shot by the homeowner.

By Seattle Times staff

TACOMA, Wash. —
    One man was shot to death by a Tacoma homeowner early Monday morning during an apparent burglary.

A homeowner and his wife were awakened by dogs barking and other noises at their home in the 3800 block of South D Street, said Tacoma police spokesman Mark Fulghum.
    More at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eshooting.html

Summary: Home owner hears dogs barking and noise in the house. Gets a gun and searches for the source of the noise and finds two men stealing stuff from his garage. He pulls his gun and holds them while he tells his wife to call 911. His wife leaves and the two men charge him. The home owner shoots both, killing one and wouding the other. After the shooting while waiting for the police the home owner renders first aid, which actually saves his life.

Why would you charge someone with a gun? Breaking into someones house is stupid, charging the scared, armed home owner shows a depth of stupidity that is hard to fathom.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

This is one you CAN blame on TV.

In all these fucking idiot TV shows some brain surgeon criminal has a gun aimed at him and he immediately tells the person covering him, "You don't have the balls to shoot me".

Doing that is literally asking to be shot. Wish granted in this case. The manner of lead request was just slightly different.

They probably figured the homeowner was bluffing and wouldn't actually pull the trigger on them.

As a side note, don't the Tacticool, Uberl33t, Ninja Trainers say that within 21 feet you aren't gonna have time to shoot?
    This is just my opinion and it's entirely correct.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I have heard a knife fighter say that in the time you take to pull the trigger he could stab me before I squeezed the trigger.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 04/2010 / Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I have heard a knife fighter say that in the time you take to pull the trigger he could stab me before I squeezed the trigger.
    I heard the same, however, that was about a person with a holstered firearm. Basicaly went like this: a man with a knife can cover 21 feet and stab a person with a gun, before the person with a gun is able to unholster the weapon and fire it....

I doubt I would have any problems aquiring the target and poking it full of holes it if I already had the gun pointed at the sprinter with a knife 21 feet away

Dumbass criminals.

I'd ask the knifer if he could cover 21 feet in 2.5 seconds because that's how long itd take me to draw and put one center mass.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I do not think I'm going to look for the source of the disturbance with my firearm holstered.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 04/2010 / Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I do not think I'm going to look for the source of the disturbance with my firearm holstered.
    Exactly
    Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Dumbass criminals.

I'd ask the knifer if he could cover 21 feet in 2.5 seconds because that's how long itd take me to draw and put one center mass.
    21 feet is only 7yds. I imagine a lot of folks can clear atleast twice as far in 2.5 seconds. However, with adrenaline pumping, I imagine you'd be able to "draw and put one center mass" faster than 2.5 seconds.

I stand corrected. Just clocked consistently at just over a second so too bad knife man but your definitely not reaching me. And I dunno about most people sprinting 42 feet in 3 seconds from a still upright standing pose.
    Last edited by Solidus-snake; 05-24-2011 at 11:56 AM.

A reasonable walking pace is 3 mph or 1.47 yards per second. That means it's possible to clear 3.675 yards in 2.5 seconds walking. I'd think most folks can sprint at least 10 mph (well at least for 21 feet) or 4.9 yards per second. Meaning they can clear 21 feet in 1.42 seconds, 36.75 feet in 2.5 seconds, and 44.1 feet in 3 seconds. And 10mph is pretty slow for sprinting, but it allows for acceleration from standing.

Plus you're timing your ability to pull your weapon, but not your reaction time.

So it's conceivable that someone attacking with a knife from within 21 feet might close the distance before someone w/ a holstered pistol would have time to draw. It would be a close run thing, however.

Now w/ the pistol already drawn, the guy with the knife doesn't stand a chance.

Once the criminal gets convicted and sent to prison, the homeowner should mail him a bill for the first aid services administered after he shot him.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    This is one you CAN blame on TV.

In all these fucking idiot TV shows some brain surgeon criminal has a gun aimed at him and he immediately tells the person covering him, "You don't have the balls to shoot me".

Doing that is literally asking to be shot. Wish granted in this case. The manner of lead request was just slightly different.
    There was an "Armed Citizen" story about a year ago that went like this. Some guy tried to break into a house and was threatening the family. The father went out with a gun and told the guy to leave. The guy says "I'm not leaving, shoot me" and then charged the father. The father fired once, hitting the guy. Now he is lying on the lawn saying "don't shoot me again".
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member