Thread: Serial numbers add to value?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Serial numbers add to value?

Was reading an older edition of Guns & Ammo and they were showing a prewar Colt Service Model Ace. The blue book was $6000 but since the serial number was SM8 they estimated the value at $8000. That 25% increase seems like a lot of extra cash for a serial #?

As a collector I can appreciate the fact that there a many aspects that can effect a firearms value however, unless the serial # is the first or perhaps the last one of something made I don't really see it as having much influence on the value, at least to me.

If they made 5,000 of something is #28 really worth a premium over # 416? IMO if it's not the first one then it's just another one.

Now there are some folks who look for and collect guns with serial numbers that have some significant or assumed significant serial number such as 666 or say a 1911 with 1911 in the serial # or one that has there birthday in it. Even at that I can't personally see a HUGE premium for those examples.

So do the rest of you think it's a deal maker or just a number?

TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have seen 2 digit serials be used as a selling point before, in that case I guess a 2 digit (28) would be worth something more to a collector then say #416. There can also be changes where known earlier models have desirable early features that can greatly increase value. As an example a 1949 Russian SKS could be worth $800-1400, one with all the desirable early features could go for 3 or 4 thousand.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I would agree with you with regards to a serial # adding value in that regard however in the case of the SKS is it really the # that's adding the value or is it the time/date range and the early features it signifies that is adding the value? Those features are there regardless, the serial # just clues you to the fact that they are original and correct to that particular firearm.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The serial numbers may signify a time point or a historical event. Springfield Trapdoors that fall within a certain range are more desirable as these rifles may have been at the Little Big Horn. They can also signal a problem run, as with the early 03 Springfields. And who wouldn't want to have a rifle or pistol with SN 1?

Case in point, I've got a SAR-2, with a serial number less than 10 but more than 5, imported in 1999. Does it make it more valuable now? Probably not. But give it a few years.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sometimes the number has no significance to anyone other than the buyer. For instance I went out of my way to find a limited edition rifle with the serial number that matched my daughter's birth date. To anyone other than her, it is nothing more than a number.

On the other hand, firearms with serial numbers showing the first of a model, 001 might command a value, but how much more than 002?

Another thing to take into account is how many were made overall, but still it comes down to personal preference as to whether a specific serial number is worth anything.

And then, like said above, a specific number might indicate a date during manufacture that represented a group of firearms that went to a specific military group and participated in a major battle.

ser num

I had a serial number 0025 AK with no import marks. it had a full auto bolt carrier, full auto safety, and even had the rails cut, BUT no third hole. I really wish i still had it. only paid $900 back in the day, but I bet it would be worth a lot more being serial number 0025 these days.
    Norris/Nugent 2012
    We'll kick their ass. Then shoot 'em.

I was just scratching it!