Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May C&R Results or How I went out and Murdered Paper Today!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

May C&R Results or How I went out and Murdered Paper Today!

09:30 Hours - Truck loaded with all the stuff required to shoot our 3 targets; Pistol, Self Loading Rifle and Bolt Rifle.

10:15 Hours - Arriving at Charlie Elliot Wildlife Center south of Mansfield, GA. Setting out the ammo cans and making ready to shoot the High Power in the Pistol match. Notice my professional ammo container for the 9 mm FMJ's. Glad Ziplock, don't leave home without em!

The rifles I took for the rifle matches. Left is a Rock Island Arsenal WWII rebuild with HS barrel and Scant Grip Stock. Right is a Winchester receivered CMP rifle in a Red Birch stock. It is electro pencil engraved as having been rebuilt in 1968. The Springfield barrel is dated to that year. I think that's the year that Springfield arsenal was closed by the US Govenrment.

13:15 Hrs. - Moved my target backer and supports to 50 yards. Top row of 3 are two sighters and the far right is the official Bolt Rifle target. Bottom row of three bulls are two sighters and the far right bull is the May Self Loading Rifle target. I shot these prone.

14:00 Hrs. - My results. Haven't scored them but there they are. Ammo used was OJP Austrian head stamped M2 Ball from the 1960's.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-04-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Exclamation

Just wow, 22 views and zero replys! So nobody has anything to say?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I'm hiding in shame right now. I have not been out to the range to shoot. I have had a busy final week of school and kids.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I'm hiding in shame right now. I have not been out to the range to shoot. I have had a busy final week of school and kids.
    LOL, well there's today and tomorrow!

On shooting, man did I find out how out of shape I am when shooting prone. My elbows are both blistered bad. The last 5 rounds of the Bolt Rifle target were pure hell. Every shot felt like a branding iron was being put on them. Also I'd forgotten just how high the 03 shoots that close in. I was having to aim at the 12:00 of the bull below the Bolt Rifle target to land them in the center, so about 8 " high at 50 yards.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    LOL, well there's today and tomorrow!

On shooting, man did I find out how out of shape I am when shooting prone. My elbows are both blistered bad. The last 5 rounds of the Bolt Rifle target were pure hell. Every shot felt like a branding iron was being put on them.
    Yeah I know, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to sneak out without anyone coming with me. I cannot do any shooting when I have kids to attend to. I was hoping to sleep in today but no little kids decided they needed to be awake at 530am.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Yeah I know, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to sneak out without anyone coming with me. I cannot do any shooting when I have kids to attend to. I was hoping to sleep in today but no little kids decided they needed to be awake at 530am.
    You just have to explain to the Ball-n-chain ... errr wife, that you need 3 hours to do these postal matches one day out of the month through August. That you can't concentrate with little ones around as your attention would be split worring about them while you try to focus on shooting for best accuracy. In my case no little ones, unless you count my wife and her constant need for attention.

You just have to explain to the Ball-n-chain ... errr wife, that you need 3 hours to do these postal matches one day out of the month through August. That you can't concentrate with little ones around as your attention would be split worring about them while you try to focus on shooting for best accuracy. In my case no little ones, unless you count my wife and her constant need for attention.
    I'm going to hit the range early Tuesday morning without anyone and do my shooting. Then send the targets out to you ASAP before I leave for our summer trip to Florida. I'm going to Disney World under protest because it will be two weeks before I get to smell burning nitro cellulose again.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am on my way out the door right now. That is some good shooting. Maybe I'll just stay home. Naw, a bad day shooting is better than a good day watching TV!

Besides, I get to try out my new AR today. Different targets, but it will still be fun!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I am on my way out the door right now. That is some good shooting. Maybe I'll just stay home. Naw, a bad day shooting is better than a good day watching TV!

Besides, I get to try out my new AR today. Different targets, but it will still be fun!
    Oh hell, don't give up before you even start! My photos of the targets aren't posted to try and intimidate anybody, merely to inspire is the purpose! Just remember any Military Position is legal to shoot them with. That's why I went Prone as that is the most stable shooting position for me anyway. Makes it easier to focus on my sight picture. I wear bifocals and I shot these without my perscription glasses on, just amber shooting glasses for eye safety.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Sigh, had my dates mixed up and I thought last Friday was Thursday so didn't get my targets in the mail. They will go out Tuesday morning. I didn't take pictures but June is coming up, I promise I will take the camera out this time. Hopefully the weather will be better. Looks like you had a great day for shooting. I didn't score mine or yours but it looks like at least one of my targets will be competitive...sort of. The other two...well I'm not posting them. Hopefully they will be in the discard pile after the other months get shot.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Lightbulb

Hey did you have fun when you were out there shooting? If so then the shoot is a success. I hadn't gotten any of those weapons to the range in a year or more so it was worth while and I had fun. The Springfield and the M1 always attract attention at the range. I let two people have a clip full on the M1. One was an young fella about to turn 18. He had a huge grin on after he finished. I bet he gets one someday.

My May targets are going to have to be my throwaway targets by default. Today was the only day I had available to even try and get out and shoot since receiving the targets and the weather wouldn't cooperate. Cloudy and winds ~35 mph gusting to 45-50. Knocked a couple of limbs out of trees in my yard, luckily they didn't hit anything.

Hope you all had better luck than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder View Post
    My May targets are going to have to be my throwaway targets by default. Today was the only day I had available to even try and get out and shoot since receiving the targets and the weather wouldn't cooperate. Cloudy and winds ~35 mph gusting to 45-50. Knocked a couple of limbs out of trees in my yard, luckily they didn't hit anything.

Hope you all had better luck than I did.
    Bummer but at least there is that option to drop them. I guess you can use them for warm up and sight in for June.

Here is how I did today. These 5 rounds were done from the sitting position. I forgot my spotting scope so my wife sat next to me and approximated my aim by watching the dirt blasts behind the target when I was practicing.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I wish my hi-power was C&R. It looks just like yours except has a spur hammer. Made in the 80's. But oh well, I couldn't shoot May anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

Here is how I did today. These 5 rounds were done from the sitting position. I forgot my spotting scope so my wife sat next to me and approximated my aim by watching the dirt blasts behind the target when I was practicing.
    Where's the other 5 holes?

I went back through old posts and thought we were shooting 5 rounds at one target. When I got home I went back and looked at yours and saw 10 holes. Oh well. I will shoot 10 shots this next month. It was still a blast. The range officer thought it was pretty cool that I was involved in a postal shoot.

Found out I won't be able to use my Garand though. The range I am shooting at has 4 different ranges, 20 and 50 yard pistol and 100 and 200 yard rifle. Except for the 50 yard range, you are not allowed to set up targets except right in front of the berm. Since the M1 Carbine is about equivalent to a .357 in power, I could shoot at the 50 yard line with it, but I cannot with my Garand. I am happy with how my Carbine is shooting though, so I don't think it will be a problem.

NRA Endowment Member

Thumbs up

Ok, I have made a Sticky Post of match rules, scoring, shots per target etc. Everybody please take a look and print it out as a reminder.

Ok, I have made a Sticky Post of match rules, scoring, shots per target etc. Everybody please take a look and print it out as a reminder.
    Thanks, but I am sure I am the only one confused. I am a nuke, we are easily confused. We can run multi-billion dollar reactor plants with no problems, but give a simple common sense problem and we generally fail.

NRA Endowment Member

I thought I would pass along a somethign that I have found useful in improving my rifle scores. It sounds simple and most probably do it instinctively anyway. I've noticed that a firm hold of the weapon and keeping it in tight on the shoulder helps cure wild shots, the type that show up on the target when you expected a center shot given the sight picture at touch off. Especially I find this to be true with larger bore, more powerful cartridges like the .30-06 or 7.5 Swiss etc. Smaller calibers like .223 also benefit from the frim hold but if you hold loose you won't see as big a wide shot and can overlook it as a cause and effect.

Other tips; breathing, don't forget to breathe. I have always preferred to take a few breaths then stop with about half of the last breath released to squeeze one off. I have met others that like to pause on the inhale cycle of breath vs. release as I prefer.

Blink, that's right don't forget to blink your eyes or look away for a few seconds from your sight picture. Constant staring at the sight picture will degrade the image as will not breathing. These events are not timed, you could take 10 minutes per shot or an hour per shot if you want. Don't get in a hurry. Relaxing the strain on your eyes by looking around between shots helps on eye fatigue and helps keep your sight picture crisper.

Every shot should be a little surprise in a way. Meaning you shouldn't be expecting it to go off as you increase pressure on the trigger. Anticipation of the shot will cause many to flinch. If the shot is a surprise the bullet is faster than the flinch. Try dry firing on a snap cap dummy round and have a wife or friend observe your reaction. Did you jump or did you remain still when the "Click" is heard?
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-04-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast