Thread: Which BFA should I use?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Which BFA should I use?

Want to get a blank firing adaptor for an AR18, I see them for AR15/M16 for barrel lengths of either 16 inch or 20 inch. I believe the barrel on my Ar18 is around 18 inches.
    Should I therefor get the 20" BFA and hope it cycles? Or get the 16" and probably pound the internals?

"BFA"...I thought you were paging me...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'd go with the 20" type.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Want to get a blank firing adaptor for an AR18, I see them for AR15/M16 for barrel lengths of either 16 inch or 20 inch. I believe the barrel on my Ar18 is around 18 inches.
    Should I therefor get the 20" BFA and hope it cycles? Or get the 16" and probably pound the internals?
    One, where do YOU get BFAs that are different for 20" barreled AR15s and 16" Bareled AR15s? Inquiring minds want to know.

For the record, I HAVE BFAs for both. They were given to me by a movie gun wrangler and they were custom made drop ins that you screw in behind the birdcage.

BTW, the BFA for the 16" AR-15s has a SMALLER HOLE than the longer barreled 20" Standard AR-15. Yes, I know it is counterintuitive, but the gas system of the 16" barreled AR-15/M4 is different than that of the 20" Standard AR-15/M16A1/M16A2.

Also what type of BLANKS are you using? Milspec? or Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    One, where do YOU get BFAs that are different for 20" barreled AR15s and 16" Bareled AR15s? Inquiring minds want to know.

For the record, I HAVE BFAs for both. They were given to me by a movie gun wrangler and they were custom made drop ins that you screw in behind the birdcage.

BTW, the BFA for the 16" AR-15s has a SMALLER HOLE than the longer barreled 20" Standard AR-15. Yes, I know it is counterintuitive, but the gas system of the 16" barreled AR-15/M4 is different than that of the 20" Standard AR-15/M16A1/M16A2.

Also what type of BLANKS are you using? Milspec? or Hollywood?
    Cheaper than dirt. Looks to be milspec
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAM015-1.html

Can't find the 16" on their website but it's in the catalog ARR-223 is the 20" ARR-224 16"

20" works great on the AR18, just make sure it's tight. Aftera couple rounds, it' was WTF? Till I figured out it was not tight on the muzzle. I don't like the fact it screws right to the muzzle maybe screwing up the crown, but this is for the 4th of July.

Guess I'll have to recrown.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    20" works great on the AR18, just make sure it's tight. Aftera couple rounds, it' was WTF? Till I figured out it was not tight on the muzzle. I don't like the fact it screws right to the muzzle maybe screwing up the crown, but this is for the 4th of July.

Guess I'll have to recrown.
    Your crown should be fine. Never had an M4 or M16 lose anything as far as accuracy or point of aim/impact after using them. The BFA will also greatly reduce the report of the blank. More so in the 20 inch version than the 16 inch. I've fired blanks on the 4th for years now, and I just hand cycle to get a much bigger BOOM sound than the BFA will give.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Your crown should be fine. Never had an M4 or M16 lose anything as far as accuracy or point of aim/impact after using them. The BFA will also greatly reduce the report of the blank. More so in the 20 inch version than the 16 inch. I've fired blanks on the 4th for years now, and I just hand cycle to get a much bigger BOOM sound than the BFA will give.

Unless you use HOLLYWOOD blanks. Those are expensive. But they're AWESOME. They have a louder report than a real 5.56mm round and the fireball is insane! The BFA screws behind the birdcage and you can see the full fireball in broad daylight! I helped a local police department with their honor guard once and I said "Hey, ,try these blanks" The cops went to the back parking lot to test fire the blanks in their AR-15s (I got the Police armorer to put in the Hollywood drop in BFAs that were designed for these blanks). They fired and several cops JUMPED and ducked. It was hilarious. The Watch commander came out and asked "Uh, is anyone firing live rounds out here?"

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Unless you use HOLLYWOOD blanks. Those are expensive. But they're AWESOME. They have a louder report than a real 5.56mm round and the fireball is insane! The BFA screws behind the birdcage and you can see the full fireball in broad daylight! I helped a local police department with their honor guard once and I said "Hey, ,try these blanks" The cops went to the back parking lot to test fire the blanks in their AR-15s (I got the Police armorer to put in the Hollywood drop in BFAs that were designed for these blanks). They fired and several cops JUMPED and ducked. It was hilarious. The Watch commander came out and asked "Uh, is anyone firing live rounds out here?"
    Where can you get the BFA and blanks?